Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground Combat - Melee
06-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Is melee combat ever a good idea for ground combat? I was reading that it ignores shields, so I was thinking it may be a good idea to use on the mobs I am fighting with shields. I saw two guides on it, but it didn't really state how effective it is.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Personally, I find melee combat useful against NPCs like the Klingons who usually come right up to your face and attack you with their bat'leth.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-17-2011, 04:55 PM
With a tac captain,when specd for and backed up by the melee kit, it's awesome and works great.

I've never tried it too much with a Sci or Eng captain since there kits don't really help melee in my opinion.

And it's great against the borg.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I usually have a Bat'leth as my secondary weapon, and will frequently use the Close Combat Kit. Work great on the borg. Although, I will have to reassess the changes with season 4
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
On one of the guides it was saying that Science Officers and Engineers can not equip melee weapons, and just have to use their fists, is that correct?

I am still in the process of figuring out a class for my first character. Currently am level 6 with my Engineer and Tactical, no Science yet. But from what I have been reading, it seems like I would like the Engineer or Science officer alot more than the Tactical.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosrin View Post
On one of the guides it was saying that Science Officers and Engineers can not equip melee weapons, and just have to use their fists, is that correct?
It is not correct.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosrin View Post
On one of the guides it was saying that Science Officers and Engineers can not equip melee weapons, and just have to use their fists, is that correct?.
Incorrect. I equip them on my sci and eng too.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Currently Boffs supporting any captain w/S.D. hyposprays will do well on normal levels in terms of quickly killing things. This spray boosts both phyical damage and physical damage resists and stacks. It would work best w/a Tac Captain spec'd in melee, but Sci Captains and Engineers can do well too.

This will change w/season 4 as most abilities will have much longer cooldowns and the fights will go so fast most often melee will do less damage than range as the target can be taken out w/a range weapon some of which currently on tribble are reported to have ranges up to 35km in the time you run up to it w/a melee weapon. They've also given rifles expose/exploit melee combos on tribble which would make equipping a melee weapon less attactive.

FYI, the new s.d. hypospray will have a boost of ~25% bonus hp instead of the physical damage resist making it an indirect heal. But, the cooldown is long. You'll get to use it 1x in most fights and still have to wait before the next fight for the cooldown to end.

I'd advise everyone to test ground combat on tribble out before making any massive changes to boff skills or acquiring any expensive items for ground.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-19-2011, 09:26 AM
I have the C Store bat'leth that advances with you, and I have found it to be increasingly useful as I've leveled up. Now, at Captain rank, it is occasionally invaluable.

Recently, I've encountered more teams (particularly Starfleet-form Undine) capable of healing up each others' shields endlessly. In those cases, I whip out the bat'leth and go to town. Works like a charm, and I don't even have any melee skill training.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Maybe I should start equipping my character with a melee weapon. But that would mean I have to sacrifice my CRM200.

Hmm....difficult choices...