Lt. Commander
# 21
06-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einarr View Post
What about this.

First idea. Prototypes. The first time you craft an item it must be done at Memory Alpha. After that you can craft from your ship.

2nd Idea Master Crafter. Once you have mastered crafting or a type of crafting you unlock the craft from ship ability.

3rd. Crafting station. Must be built in Memory Alpha but then is installed on your ship in engineering or someplace.

4th. Cost Either costs less to craft at MA or more from your ship. Kinda like when you replicate the diplomacy items for Aid the Planet.

Or some combination?

What do you think?
I like options 2 and 3.

Purchaseable crafting rooms for your ship.
I think we have doors that do not have any function on our ship and they would be perfect for crafting rooms imo and I would not mind at all paying ec to have them converted into crafting rooms at a station.

Craftable tables / stations that are not bound so that they can be sold and or purchased.
Make a station for each type of item such as a station for shields, kits, and etc.
Each station starts out at tier one and is upgradable, ie your table needs to be tier 10 if you want to craft those tier 10 items.

Only personal gear items are craftable from your ship, anything larger takes a station.
Although I am willing to budge on craftable shuttles a bit, not so much on large things like warp engines for a starship.
Being able to craft consoles from inside your ship is fine.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesora
I like options 2 and 3.

Purchaseable crafting rooms for your ship.
I think we have doors that do not have any function on our ship and they would be perfect for crafting rooms imo and I would not mind at all paying ec to have them converted into crafting rooms at a station.

Craftable tables / stations that are not bound so that they can be sold and or purchased.
Make a station for each type of item such as a station for shields, kits, and etc.
Each station starts out at tier one and is upgradable, ie your table needs to be tier 10 if you want to craft those tier 10 items.

Only personal gear items are craftable from your ship, anything larger takes a station.
Although I am willing to budge on craftable shuttles a bit, not so much on large things like warp engines for a starship.
Being able to craft consoles from inside your ship is fine.
That's starting to sound like the crafting system in SWG. I thought that system was awesome. I like the idea of adding new portions of the interior, kinda like a machine shop. But, I could have sworn we already have an engineering lab that doesn't do anything.
I like your idea of having different types of crafting stations for different items. However, I'm not sure it would be good to make it with upgradable tiers, it seems redundant. The way I see it working would be a "Master Crafter" that can craft anything from their shipboard console, because they've already maxed out crafting- ie they've already made lower tier items. Now that they've done that they get a special mission/quest line to craft their shipboard consoles, which would craft anything within that item type.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Personally, I favor convenience over a social hub that's not (in my experience) terribly social. Most of what I've seen there has been people trying to trade rare traces, hoping to get a better deal than the Exchange (taking advantage of the less-informed?).
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-29-2011, 12:00 PM
I think the best solution would be to allow for the most "common" items... say up to rare to be reshearchable on the ship, and then Very Rares and the High Tech (read: aegis and the delta flyer and stuff like that), to be MA only.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringram View Post
. However, I'm not sure it would be good to make it with upgradable tiers, it seems redundant. The way I see it working would be a "Master Crafter" that can craft anything from their shipboard console, because they've already maxed out crafting- ie they've already made lower tier items. Now that they've done that they get a special mission/quest line to craft their shipboard consoles, which would craft anything within that item type.
Station tiers is a bit redundant admittedly, I was thinking it would just add a layer of things to work on such as a time sink or an ec sink to keep us busy and or as something to spend credits on.

If you do not want to spend the time leveling up your crafting station, you could buy the crafting station upgrade from someone who has it ie like a console you just add to your station.
Ultimately someone has to do things the hard way in order for the console to become avail on the market and then after that if people want to buy that console they can and never miss a beat, but if they don't then the option is there to upgrade their station themselves through maybe a series of mini game perhaps that yields the station upgrade schematic so they can craft their own station upgrade.

No matter which way you upgrade your station you can buy your way through or do it yourself you will still be able to craft the station upgrade console schematic so you can still craft the upgrades for others no matter which path you decided to take for yourself even if you bought the upgrades already made.
Of course this may be over complicating things and getting into a whole mess of added work, but who knows.

I would not mind this setup, but others might of course, either way I would love to be able to craft on my ship although I do think some things should remain station only, but I don't nec think the restriction should be tier restrictions but more in line with can you see someone crafting that item on a ship such as could you see an entire galaxy class deflector dish being crafted in one of those small crafting rooms.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-29-2011, 08:19 PM
I think you've got an awesome idea. The only problem I see is that crafting and an economy don't seem to be part of the game. Rather it seems to just add a layer of customization. I hate to keep mentioning it, but in SWG crafting was integral to the economy and gameplay. You could do nothing but craft. In fact, crafting was one of the professions to choose from in SWG. I may be wrong, but I don't see that with the exchange system we have in STO.
I would like to see crafting fleshed out in STO and your idea is a good one. I just don't see it happening, because the game doesn't really support crafting.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
Please don't move Fed crafting from Memory Alpha. Yes it takes a little effort to get there - and I have an idea of how to fix that - but, when you do get there the only people there are crafters.

The reasons for crafting at Memory Alpha only. It is easy to talk crafting without a bunch of miscellaneous chat interference. All the crafters are in one place, and help is therefore not diluted. If crafting is added at ESD, then there will be just that much more static for both crafters and non-crafters.

To solve the problem of actually going to Memory Alpha, it would be very easy to add a transwarp to Memory Alpha as a reward for reaching a certain crafting level.

Please don't add crafting to places other than Memory Alpha
What's wrong with just crafting on your ship?
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJubJub
What's wrong with just crafting on your ship?
I believe I stated the reasons adequately, but apparently not.

I have one alt that is my crafter, and he is pretty much based out of Memory Alpha. Except that there is no shipyard or tailor, there is no real advantage of being at ESD over Memory Alpha.

When I'm crafting at memory alpha - apparently I'm having a different experience from everyone else - there always seems to be questions, answers, and other chat specifically related to crafting. This would not be available from your ship.

If crafting is added to ESD as planned, this would dilute the crafting chat and help that is available on Memory Alpha. It would add crafting static to ESD.

If everyone is crafting on their ship, mutual help is diluted. Crafting on ships would make Memory Alpha as useful as the Captain's Table.

The argument that it is hard to get to Memory Alpha is not a very good one. Depending on where you start, anyplace can be hard to get to. If you start at ESD, Memory Alpha is one of the easiest places to get to. And for those that find it difficult, a transwarp ability to get there would solve that problem.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, but the first thing that popped into my mind when you asked what was wrong with crafting on your ship was an image of a pathetic geek sitting in his basement playing video games, never getting out and socializing ...... wait that's me.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I totally agree with your request. Memory Alpha is the place to go for crafting and trading crafting stuff, also people can ask their related questions.

Moving a good portion of that to our ships takes away the possibility of questions and trading will probably only happen with the exchange.

Moving crafting to ESD ... I don't know. Zone chat in ESD is a total mess already and cluttered with nonesense. It's hard to tolerate ESDs chat for more than 2 or 3 minutes and usually leads to A) putting half a dozen people on ignore or B) changing to a chat tab without Zone. This would add all the trade requests and questions about crafting to the zone chat nonesense without the ability to filter and no chance for people to get serious and helpful answers.

So yes, keep it at Memory Alpha. It's a nice specialized hub that does its job very well. And for all the people that are to lazy to fly there, we have Transwarp locations at ESD and SB 39, from there it is maybe 2 minutes. I can't believe people are complaining about 2 minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
Please don't move Fed crafting from Memory Alpha. Yes it takes a little effort to get there - and I have an idea of how to fix that - but, when you do get there the only people there are crafters.

The reasons for crafting at Memory Alpha only. It is easy to talk crafting without a bunch of miscellaneous chat interference. All the crafters are in one place, and help is therefore not diluted. If crafting is added at ESD, then there will be just that much more static for both crafters and non-crafters.

To solve the problem of actually going to Memory Alpha, it would be very easy to add a transwarp to Memory Alpha as a reward for reaching a certain crafting level.

Please don't add crafting to places other than Memory Alpha
I fully support this a long as the idea of a Memory Alpha transwarp is included.

In that event Memory Alpha could also use some love it could use a bar / club or other interesting amenities.