Lt. Commander
# 31
07-01-2011, 07:19 AM
I kinda like the idea of crafting aboard my ship, but I agree it removes a lot of socialization.

Things that could be done to make Memory Alpha more attractive:
  • Create an Anomaly "Converter"/Trade Merchant there (even if crafting is possible on your ship, this is always a reason to go back there)
  • Add the conveniences of a normal Starbase, basic item vendors, ship requisition, ship change, costume editors.
  • "Craft" station for craftable types craftable only on Memory Alpha. They can then be placed on your ship, but there might be limitations, like you can never craft everything on your ship, just a subset (e.g only personal weapons, personal armor and shields, ship weapons, consumables and consoles, but not kits, shields, impulse engines or deflectors.)
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Crafting on ships should be limited to Personal (ground) stuff and ship batteries at normal crafting "price". Anything bigger (deflector dish for instance) would be much more difficult to make on a starship and should cost more and/or have a chance of failure.

I wholeheartedly agree on the Memory Alpha transwarp.Z
I wholeheartly agree with you, IF crafting on ships will be allowed then it should be restricted to "small" stuff like consumables or maybe personal weapons or gear at the utmost.

@CrustyMac
I do 100% agree with you, althrough i am not the best to interact with other players, i like that Memory alpha is THE place to ask questions about Crafting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker999 View Post
I totally agree with your request. Memory Alpha is the place to go for crafting and trading crafting stuff, also people can ask their related questions.

Moving a good portion of that to our ships takes away the possibility of questions and trading will probably only happen with the exchange.

Moving crafting to ESD ... I don't know. Zone chat in ESD is a total mess already and cluttered with nonesense. It's hard to tolerate ESDs chat for more than 2 or 3 minutes and usually leads to A) putting half a dozen people on ignore or B) changing to a chat tab without Zone. This would add all the trade requests and questions about crafting to the zone chat nonesense without the ability to filter and no chance for people to get serious and helpful answers.

So yes, keep it at Memory Alpha. It's a nice specialized hub that does its job very well. And for all the people that are to lazy to fly there, we have Transwarp locations at ESD and SB 39, from there it is maybe 2 minutes. I can't believe people are complaining about 2 minutes.
I couldn't add anything further, this sums up what i think about this issue quite well.

There is one thing i really don't understand, there where hundreds of threads concerning more urgent or different things that would improve STO over the last year, why did the devs choose this to be introduced?
(I haven't seen one thread of people complaining about this issue at all... )

It's similar like the "change your ship on the fly" -thing, who on earth/ alpha and beta quadrant wanted this?
I think these two topics are clear bad decisions by the devs, and just wasted developement time IMO (sorry to say that).

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I think the core issue here is that some people find (social) value in what is, essentially, Trade chat.
I... do not. *shrug*
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
I think the core issue here is that some people find (social) value in what is, essentially, Trade chat.
I... do not. *shrug*
No, not really. The point is, Memory Alpha is a specialized hub for crafting related stuff. You can be sure alot of the people around there are crafters, too. This way you have people able to answer your questions and/or willing to trade crafting mats. Maybe this also has a social element, but that's not the important part.

This totally gets lost if everybody is hiding on his/her ship or if you have to deal with the kiddies in ESDs zone chat. It's just a thing of bringing everybody with common goals (crafting) together, which always was the function of (specialized) hubs.
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
When I'm crafting at memory alpha - apparently I'm having a different experience from everyone else - there always seems to be questions, answers, and other chat specifically related to crafting. This would not be available from your ship.

I personally think that allowing crafting on ships is definitely the way to go. Limiting it to just one location isn't just inconvenient, it simply doesn't fit with the idea of what shipboard replicators are capable of doing.

Adding a "Crafting" channel to the game would solve your problem of dilution. In fact a crafting chat window could even be built directly into the crafting UI if the dev's so desired and/or felt it fit with the game.
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I am totally in favor of crafting nearly everything right from my ship, with no additional restrictions beyond what R&D already imposes.

Certain very rare, very special items might require a trip elsewhere, to Memory Alpha, to Utopia Planetia, a fleet starbase, or wherever.

I've got replicators and Engineers, what more should I need?

I am also in favor of a Transwarp to Memory Alpha and wonder why we don't already have it. But even that would only solve half the travel issues. If I burn a Transwarp, the global cooldown means I can't Transwarp anywhere else for awhile and I still need to get back to wherever I came from in the first place.

I think the value of "crafting chat" is being highly overstated. The only times anyone would actually need it are:

1. I'm new and don't know how it works.
2. The devs changed something and I'm hoping someone knows what's going on.
3. I don't have all of the pieces I need to craft "X" and hope I can trade for what I need.
4. I don't have the anomalies I need and don't know where to go find them.

And frankly these aren't issues that couldn't be addressed by shouting out in zone chat for assistance and then having private conversations in team chat or what have you. Once you have basically figured out how crafting works, it isn't so complicated that you'd need help with every little thing.

Opening up crafting on ships actually makes crafting more accessible to everybody. With more people using it, more people will know how and fewer people will actually need help.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norikor View Post
I personally think that allowing crafting on ships is definitely the way to go. Limiting it to just one location isn't just inconvenient, it simply doesn't fit with the idea of what shipboard replicators are capable of doing.

Adding a "Crafting" channel to the game would solve your problem of dilution. In fact a crafting chat window could even be built directly into the crafting UI if the dev's so desired and/or felt it fit with the game.

Agreed completely.

Starships according to what we know onscreen are capable of soo many things that we have not gotten to yet in STO.

I cannot wait for some of the additions they are making, we are getting the doff system which will help with giving our crew more of a meaning to us ie more of a function, and crafting for many imo on board our ships will help give more meaning to the ships we command (if they allow it) and something to do with those interiors and it makes sense in the process.

Will take the time to reiterate, limited to personal gear and perhaps shuttles, not big items like a starship deflector array.

Also, I would definitely support a crafting channel.

Think about this scenario, suppose you are out in the middle of nowhere and someone in the zone needs to craft something but does not have a crafting room on their ship or lacks the proper skill, they could beam over to your ship and you could make it for them if you wanted and give them a tour of your ship.

Perhaps they can make the item but do not have the right equipment and you do, perhaps if you wanted to you could charge a nominal fee in the process if you wanted to also.
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-01-2011, 05:39 PM
i'd like to see special crafting items or maybe a discount on used samples for crafting at MA - but I definitely want to be able to craft the 'usual and common' stuff at my bridge. My Deep Space Sci that is supposed to go for LONG range exploration missions cant craft even a phaser?

Regards
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-03-2011, 03:47 AM
I have to agree. While initially I thought that it would be good to have a crafting station on your ship, it would make the game even more "lonely".

The better solution would be to enable enable a Transwarp to Memory Alpha that can be unlocked by hitting your first 500 (or so) of crafting XP

It is good to keep some community hubs in game.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-03-2011, 04:09 AM
I don't want to socialize while I craft. When I'm crafting, I'm focused on crafting - if I want to socialize I'll be at ESD.

More importantly, Memory Alpha is, to use a colloquial term... out in the boonies. No it's not super-duper far away, but as others have noted up thread, it's 5 loading screens away from Sol; which is... irritating. Transwarp cuts that down to 2, but you still have to fly back afterwards.

Furthermore all Transwarps are on the same timer. There is a very good chance that if I want to craft, I won't even have the Transwarp up. Or if I do, I won't have access to my Transwarp to Sol for awhile, which is generally more useful.

As to the issues with 'it doesn't make sense you can make X on your ship'... Need I remind you we already blow up ships and loot random pieces from them to stick on our own vessels? No drydock, no... anything; just "Oh hey, this cannon would be nifty! *welds onto ship*"

In that environment, attempting to inject realism when convenience is at stake is kind of silly. I'm sorry but it just is. Realism went out the airlock long before the game launched; so that's not much of an argument.

While grinding your way up you might sit around a crafting console for awhile, once you have mastered crafting, you generally only need to pop over once in awhlie to make one or two items. This is again, very inconvenient. Being able to just take care of it on my ship eliminates a pointless trip out of the way so I can build my new phaser/armor/whathaveyou.

====

TL;DR -

I don't want to talk to you when I'm crafting. I want to craft. If I want information I can look it up on the web. Leaving crafting at Memory Alpha is just obnoxious.