Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
The Klingon Faction in STO needs more Exclusive Content.

By "Exclusive Content" I mean missions and playstylings that are different than those available to the Federation Faction. For missions I don't mean patrols or explorations, or even daily grinds... I'm talking about interesting, and captivating "episodes" like the eight oustanding Storyline missions listed here. Each worthy of a player's time and money, and unique in flavor to the KDF Faction (Check this thread for plenty more great ideas). Regarding playstylings, I'd say give us an Honor or House system, Targ Breeding, or any number of similar suggestions I've seen posted in the Klingon forums over this last year-plus.

Shared or "Agnostic" missions (such as the Featured Episodes) simply do not fill this need, nor does PvP content. Reasonings are many, but I think Katic summed it up best in this post - There's nothing unique in them to draw a player to the KDF. Further, I'd argue the KDF deserves to be more than a PvP-centric faction (and before you bring up the "They were always meant to be that way" topic, it's not true. Please read this if you don't believe me.).

Let's assume you agree with me so far, that the KDF does need this Exclusive Content. So how to get it?

In the March 15th Engineering Report dstahl says "We are currently going back to our master schedule and reworking it so that we will be able to deliver more Feature Episodes more frequently. This means more than 5 series a year and hopefully closer to 9 or 10 which would be ideal and lead to little or no downtime between new episodes."

Think about that... At five missions per series, that's 25-50 new episodes per year. The later would mean nearly having an episode a week. Fantastic, to be sure!

Here's my thought: Use some of that dev time for the KDF.

Take out just one FE. And use that effort (time/money/manpower) to make a handful of new Storyline Missions, Exclusive to the KDF. They don't have to be a singular arc. In fact, I'd rather 1 or 2 of the missions be independent vignettes, and/or pick-up where the existing missions left off, and then add a new 2-3 episode arc. However it works best to add five missions to the KDF.

The game as a whole still advances with 20-45 new faction agnostic missions that everyone can play (that, no offense, but let's face it, typically are just Fed missions that put on a fake beard and call themselves KDF playable), but then you also add five to your otherwise stagnant KDF faction, encouraging players to "come to the Dark Side" (to borrow from another IP's parlance).

Obviously, things may have changed since March, but assuming the manpower/money is already on the "master schedule", it would seem to me there should be time to make some changes as to exactly how it's allocated in the above regard, if there was community support for something like this.

I put this in the STO Discussion Forum (and not Klingon Gameplay), because I think it's important for the game as a whole. And I want to hear from "Fed-Only" players, too. Do you think if Cryptic was pouring out 20-45 missions in a year, you would feel cheated at not getting 25-50? To KDF fans, while not a cure all, would you feel this a viable step in the right direction?

What are your thoughts? Are there any other ideas for how this or another plan might work?

In closing, let me say thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you found it thought provoking (or at least not too stoopid ). Also, I know how passionate STO players of all sides can be, but please do let's try to be civil. Remember that insults and petty fighting do not make for healthy debate and don't help the KDF argument at all (not to mention it's likely to result in infractions and/or the thread getting closed down).

Cheers!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Instead of removing a single Featured Episode Series in favor a a string of Klingon missions, why not pick a few of the favored Klingon missions from the Foundry and elevate them to a more official status? If the mission is good enough, it can be removed from the one of the author's limited slots and he/she can proceed to make another Klingon mission.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
Instead of removing a single Featured Episode Series in favor a a string of Klingon missions, why not pick a few of the favored Klingon missions from the Foundry and elevate them to a more official status? If the mission is good enough, it can be removed from the one of the author's limited slots and he/she can proceed to make another Klingon mission.
I'm heavily in favor of this. Cryptic maintains control of what missions get added, and the work is taken off their already crowded shoulders.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Here is my idea:

Instead of removing one FE, and in addition to picking excellent Foundry missions to special status:

In each Featured Series, pick one episode where there is a signifcant difference between the Federation and the Klingon version. Have at least one mission map differ.

Say, the Federation Captain beams down to a planet to talk with the aliens. The Klingons instead beam down to one of their ships and capture the alien leader.

In addition, provide one unique (possibly chargeable) reward for each faction that is bind-on-equip.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Take out just one FE. And use that effort (time/money/manpower) to make a handful of new Storyline Missions, Exclusive to the KDF.
This is a very reasonable idea. The problem is, most gamers arent reasonable and are only concerned with the faction they play. So while some Fed players will see this as a reasonable suggestion, the majority will say "why should I have to give up 1 episode that is already playable by KDF"?

That is why I think this is the only workable solution. The reason is because the Fed players lose nothing; either missions or Dev time spent working on their content.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
Instead of removing a single Featured Episode Series in favor a a string of Klingon missions, why not pick a few of the favored Klingon missions from the Foundry and elevate them to a more official status? If the mission is good enough, it can be removed from the one of the author's limited slots and he/she can proceed to make another Klingon mission.
I like this idea. I know people who don't use the foundry as they consider it substandard content (even though that's not always true). Putting an Official Seal on it could take away that stigma. Cryptic could give the story to one of it's normal mission givers at the appropriate level, players would just see it as part of their normal progression, and as you say, it would free-up one of the author's mission slots. Add some official rewards (XP, BO pts, Honor, maybe even a "physical" prize), and you've got a "real" KDF mission. Nice.

The only downside is I know Crpytic has said in the past, for other things, that they can't publish user-submitted material. How the exception works for the Foundry, I don't understand, but I fear there could be some kind of Rights issue (?). I don't know, honestly, but it's a concern I have. Overall though, this idea should have very little, to no, resource investment on Crpytic's part, and I like that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
...Instead of removing one FE, and in addition to picking excellent Foundry missions to special status:

In each Featured Series, pick one episode where there is a signifcant difference between the Federation and the Klingon version. Have at least one mission map differ.

Say, the Federation Captain beams down to a planet to talk with the aliens. The Klingons instead beam down to one of their ships and capture the alien leader.

In addition, provide one unique (possibly chargeable) reward for each faction that is bind-on-equip.
Your wisdom is great Archancellor! This is a fantastic idea to add some Exclusive Content to the KDF side. I especially like the idea of Faction-specific BoE Prize. If they would add this sort of uniqueness to even half of the new FEs (more is better, naturally), it would really give more players reason to try the KDF (especially the alternate rewards incentive, I think).

My concern though is that adding new maps, story lines/objectives, and prizes mean adding resources to the project. Probably not as much as a mission created "from scratch", but more none-the-less. Especially adding a new prize. Because then you have to worry about balance issues, and they already have hard enough time balancing any single new device to this game, now they're adding two, and they'd have to make sure the items balance against what the other faction received.

Crpytic already (chooses not to allocate)/(doesn't have) the resources to make new KDF missions. This idea, while I love it, would mean more work on Crpytic's part that isn't already on the schedule. I was trying to come up with a solution that didn't add work, only made what they had planned to do different.

So, Tranman and Mustrum, you both said "instead of" my idea try your ideas. And I like both of yours! Was there something(s) you didn't like about mine? Or why couldn't all/any of these be done in-part or combination?

Again, thanks for your thoughts. Anyone else have comments on any of the above or other ideas themselves on how to get Exclusive Content to the KDF with little-to-no extra effort on Cryptics part?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
The only downside is I know Crpytic has said in the past, for other things, that they can't publish user-submitted material. How the exception works for the Foundry, I don't understand, but I fear there could be some kind of Rights issue (?). I don't know, honestly, but it's a concern I have. Overall though, this idea should have very little, to no, resource investment on Crpytic's part, and I like that, too.
This. It's completely understandable.

One option might be to do something like a "dev's choice" category where it doesn't become "official" content, but does give standard XP and rewards. That might encourage players to use the Foundry (if there is a filter to show only dev's choice missions) and still be able to level KDF characters in a reasonable fashion via PvE.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
Instead of removing a single Featured Episode Series in favor a a string of Klingon missions, why not pick a few of the favored Klingon missions from the Foundry and elevate them to a more official status? If the mission is good enough, it can be removed from the one of the author's limited slots and he/she can proceed to make another Klingon mission.
My longtime solution was always just to shift the development of Featured Episodes around by a hare so that Klingons get an extra mission in each series or one mission in each series going forward is faction unique.

If the KDF got an extra episode, you could set it up so that each series gets a KDF exclusive "prequel", encouraging players to play KDF to get ahead on the storyline.

In turn, the alternative I could see is to set it up so that one episode in each series is completely different depending on your faction, making the Klingon version feel different, have different endings, or have the KDF approach a situation differently while coming to the same conclusion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Being mute in real life, my skills as a speech writer get little attention, and less practice.

There have been times, here, and in other sub-forums, where I have chosen to speak in a manner designed to inspire hope and pride amongst the denizens of the Empire.

So here, in these forums, in this game, I would hope to serve as, ironically enough, a voice. A lone voice if need be, but a voice, a voice for our rights, for our desires, for our Empire.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
If we are to gain, let us gain by honorable means, in ways we can proudly relate in story and song to those who come after.

Lets show the MMO community that minority Factions can gain ground, even in the face of great resistance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
We ask for a Season dedicated to the KDF, and we're told by Feds to sit down, shut up and be thankful for what we get.

We ask for two things for the KDF for every three the Feds get, and we're told by Feds to sit down, shut up and be thankful for what we get.

We ask for long-overdue animation fixes (Fed Tricorders? Huh?), costume options, or ship customization, and we're told by Feds to sit down, shut up and be thankful for what we get.

We ask for one thing for every two the Feds get, and we're told by Feds to sit down, shut up and be thankful for what we get.

We ask for bug fixes for issues that have plagued us since launch (scanning errors, the infamous cloak bug), and we're told by Feds to sit down, shut up and be thankful for what we get.

We ask for ONE dev to be dedicated to basic KDF PvE after he's finished with everything we know is on his plate right now, and we're told by Feds to sit down, shut up and be thankful for what we get.

The line must be drawn here! This far, and no farther!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Browse the Klingon Gameplay Forums, read through the threads. Don't get me wrong, there's quite a few.. Ahem. Infiltrators.. Who try and make the case that the KDF should just abandon all hope and stop asking for KDF content, but there's far more who are very passionate and creative about solutions for the KDF.

I see myself as one of the KDF players tasked with "spreading the word" as it were. The single biggest issue the KDF has is population. The single most effective draw for people to roll KDF toons is KDF-exclusive content and goodies. So I act as a proponent of KDF uniqueness here on the forums, arguing against homogenization and for more KDF content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
"We" (myself and all those players who agree with me) want this disparity lessened. We don't want your patrols, your repeatables, your explorations missions, we have our own, and are just as dissatisfied with them as you are. We want our own storyline PvE, not your table scraps.
And, of course, the two posts PatricianVetinari has linked in his sig.

I am K'Gonok, of the house of Citak, and I am a warrior in the Klingon Defense Force.

I am Nunemi, formerly of the Orion Syndicate, and I am a warrior in the Klingon Defense Force.

I am Senish, formerly of the Gorn Hegemony, and I am a warrior in the Klingon Defense Force.

..And warriors are not silenced by criticism, by threats, abuse, neglect or attack, only death can silence a warrior, and even then, those who heard him while he lived will repeat his words.

In memorium of Roach, who has fallen silent.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
I just want to re-iterate the following points about alternative methods for gaining KDF content:

Featured Episodes are not KDF content, they are Faction-Neutral content. A Fed player who does the FEs on his main has zero motivation to roll a KDF toon, they've already done the FE on their Feds, as such, FEs don't help the KDF.

Foundry missions are great, they provide a means for the KDF to have it's history explored, it's culture and values expressed, etc.. But the problem for the KDF isn't just about the Storyline part of exclusive Storyline PvE, since you have to do three Foundry missions to get any XP, and the XP you do gain is less than what you can get from one mission replay, the Foundry does not help the KDF, and that's not even getting into how long some of the Foundry missions are compared to normal leveling PvE..

Then, there's the Sorties, the raids, the patrols, the dailies and hourlies, the repeatable busy-work content. Because that's what it is. It's busy work, it's the bones and scraps thrown to us in order to keep us quiet, it's the grind-fluff the KDF is forced to level with since PvP is mostly broken. They do not help the KDF because they are, like exploration missions Fed-side, grind-fests, endless repetition of the same things over and over. In fact, I would go so far as to say that they are the prime reason why the KDF has the low population it does. Nobody wants to grind.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 AM.