Lt. Commander
# 11
06-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
I put this in the STO Discussion Forum (and not Klingon Gameplay), because I think it's important for the game as a whole. And I want to hear from "Fed-Only" players, too.
Looks like they disagreed with you there PV.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
The Klingon Faction in STO needs more Exclusive Content.

By "Exclusive Content" I mean missions and playstylings that are different than those available to the Federation Faction. For missions I don't mean patrols or explorations, or even daily grinds... I'm talking about interesting, and captivating "episodes" like the eight oustanding Storyline missions listed here. Each worthy of a player's time and money, and unique in flavor to the KDF Faction (Check this thread for plenty more great ideas). Regarding playstylings, I'd say give us an Honor or House system, Targ Breeding, or any number of similar suggestions I've seen posted in the Klingon forums over this last year-plus.

Shared or "Agnostic" missions (such as the Featured Episodes) simply do not fill this need, nor does PvP content. Reasonings are many, but I think Katic summed it up best in this post - There's nothing unique in them to draw a player to the KDF. Further, I'd argue the KDF deserves to be more than a PvP-centric faction (and before you bring up the "They were always meant to be that way" topic, it's not true. Please read this if you don't believe me.).

Let's assume you agree with me so far, that the KDF does need this Exclusive Content. So how to get it?

In the March 15th Engineering Report dstahl says "We are currently going back to our master schedule and reworking it so that we will be able to deliver more Feature Episodes more frequently. This means more than 5 series a year and hopefully closer to 9 or 10 which would be ideal and lead to little or no downtime between new episodes."

Think about that... At five missions per series, that's 25-50 new episodes per year. The later would mean nearly having an episode a week. Fantastic, to be sure!

Here's my thought: Use some of that dev time for the KDF.

Take out just one FE. And use that effort (time/money/manpower) to make a handful of new Storyline Missions, Exclusive to the KDF. They don't have to be a singular arc. In fact, I'd rather 1 or 2 of the missions be independent vignettes, and/or pick-up where the existing missions left off, and then add a new 2-3 episode arc. However it works best to add five missions to the KDF.

The game as a whole still advances with 20-45 new faction agnostic missions that everyone can play (that, no offense, but let's face it, typically are just Fed missions that put on a fake beard and call themselves KDF playable), but then you also add five to your otherwise stagnant KDF faction, encouraging players to "come to the Dark Side" (to borrow from another IP's parlance).

Obviously, things may have changed since March, but assuming the manpower/money is already on the "master schedule", it would seem to me there should be time to make some changes as to exactly how it's allocated in the above regard, if there was community support for something like this.

I put this in the STO Discussion Forum (and not Klingon Gameplay), because I think it's important for the game as a whole. And I want to hear from "Fed-Only" players, too. Do you think if Cryptic was pouring out 20-45 missions in a year, you would feel cheated at not getting 25-50? To KDF fans, while not a cure all, would you feel this a viable step in the right direction?

What are your thoughts? Are there any other ideas for how this or another plan might work?

In closing, let me say thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you found it thought provoking (or at least not too stoopid ). Also, I know how passionate STO players of all sides can be, but please do let's try to be civil. Remember that insults and petty fighting do not make for healthy debate and don't help the KDF argument at all (not to mention it's likely to result in infractions and/or the thread getting closed down).

Cheers!
Add KDF centered Featured Episodes to the list,part of the dev time on any FE is spent on 'touching up' existing assets or creating new ones.If they centered a FE around Klingons,Orions,Gorn,Letheans or Nausicaans......they could 'touch up' those assets without having to spend additional time and resources.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-21-2011, 04:17 AM
I guess this really boils down to how hard that 9-10 number is, the actual quote was, "This means more than 5 series a year and hopefully closer to 9 or 10 which would be ideal and lead to little or no downtime between new episodes." So we can reasonably expect 6 over a 12 month period and hope for 9-10.

It's easy to agree getting 9 featured episodes instead of 10 is a fair price to pay for a real step towards making the KDF a viable faction. That would only leave 3 months without some new mission to convince people to re-up their sub for another 30 days. But it's harder to see this as a good idea when it would mean getting 5 featured episodes instead of 6.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
I guess this really boils down to how hard that 9-10 number is, the actual quote was, "This means more than 5 series a year and hopefully closer to 9 or 10 which would be ideal and lead to little or no downtime between new episodes." So we can reasonably expect 6 over a 12 month period and hope for 9-10.

It's easy to agree getting 9 featured episodes instead of 10 is a fair price to pay for a real step towards making the KDF a viable faction. That would only leave 3 months without some new mission to convince people to re-up their sub for another 30 days. But it's harder to see this as a good idea when it would mean getting 5 featured episodes instead of 6.
They could always use some ideas from the foundry to create a string of missions...It's not that hard someone told me...to make foundry missions...and not much harder for them to make the missions into something that would be palletable for both sides... It's about time they started a KDF-centric series mission....but where is it?...behind the Cardies...bah...
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Looks like they disagreed with you there PV.
Yeah, that was very disappointing, to say the least.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Lt. Commander
# 16
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Yeah, that was very disappointing, to say the least.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It feels like we keep going in circles with the devs....very,very disappointing.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
It feels like we keep going in circles with the devs....very,very disappointing.
It feels like we're circling alright... circling a drain. lol

>sigh<

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy this game. I started about 3wks after launch, and played exclusively Fed for a long time. I love my Fed characters. Heck I didn't even start my first KDF character until Sep 2010 (and he made LG by mid-Nov).

After playing Fedside for so long, the KDF was really fun! It was different and cool in ways I can't quite explain. The missions with the Fek'Ihri and Kahless, and whatnot... OUTSTANDINGLY FUN! But then they ran out. Then it was grindy grind grinderson until then end...

The FEs helped and there was some very minor Klingon spice thrown in the make them "different" from the Starfleet versions, but really... not so much. It was just doing the same mission over again with a red UI.

I really miss the experience of playing Klingon. And I wish Cryptic could make a way to bring about the glory that the KDF Faction deserves. It has such potential.

I don't mean to poo-poo on Cryptic. Again, I enjoy playing STO. I like my Feds very much. I just wish they didn't treat the KDF like second-class citizens and showed an ACTIVE display of improvement, instead of just talking about it.

It's a crying shame really...
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
It feels like we're circling alright... circling a drain. lol

>sigh<

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy this game. I started about 3wks after launch, and played exclusively Fed for a long time. I love my Fed characters. Heck I didn't even start my first KDF character until Sep 2010 (and he made LG by mid-Nov).

After playing Fedside for so long, the KDF was really fun! It was different and cool in ways I can't quite explain. The missions with the Fek'Ihri and Kahless, and whatnot... OUTSTANDINGLY FUN! But then they ran out. Then it was grindy grind grinderson until then end...

The FEs helped and there was some very minor Klingon spice thrown in the make them "different" from the Starfleet versions, but really... not so much. It was just doing the same mission over again with a red UI.

I really miss the experience of playing Klingon. And I wish Cryptic could make a way to bring about the glory that the KDF Faction deserves. It has such potential.

I don't mean to poo-poo on Cryptic. Again, I enjoy playing STO. I like my Feds very much. I just wish they didn't treat the KDF like second-class citizens and showed an ACTIVE display of improvement, instead of just talking about it.

It's a crying shame really...
This right here is what I am talking about.... they know we are dissatisfied so they throw a bone our way once in a long while so that anything is appreciated by our side...whether it is a good bone or not. We have been getting to a point where we want more bones thrown our way.... well considered and crafted bones.... to help our faction and imnprove RP for the KDF players.....

I want to see them actually do something to help our faction for customization for not only the ships...which apparently they are working on, but for the ground as well....I mean it's good for the Gorn but what about the normal ethnic Klingons?......
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTerribleRomulan
This right here is what I am talking about.... they know we are dissatisfied so they throw a bone our way once in a long while so that anything is appreciated by our side...whether it is a good bone or not. We have been getting to a point where we want more bones thrown our way.... well considered and crafted bones.... to help our faction and imnprove RP for the KDF players.....

I want to see them actually do something to help our faction for customization for not only the ships...which apparently they are working on, but for the ground as well....I mean it's good for the Gorn but what about the normal ethnic Klingons?......
Screw bones and scraps, release some live prey (actual exclusive PvE Storyline content) for us to chase down and feast upon!
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Screw bones and scraps, release some live prey (actual exclusive PvE Storyline content) for us to chase down and feast upon!
I of course was speaking metaphorically....the bones we get to have small PVE arcs and a few scattered missions could be improved easily....
The lack of finishing touches for Klingon race players such as always having dreds, clipping of the hair with the uniforms, lack of LTG sash, no further customization to look like a TOS klingon for uniforms...no look like TMP, ST:3, or ST:6 movies either...this too could be fixed, but we have been told by Stahl that KDF things do not sell well in the C-Store...well, give us something that we can actually use that we ask for...then you'll see a change in buying habits.....