Lt. Commander
# 91
06-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Sounds awesome. My brain hurts trying to wrap my head around quality vs rarity.. and the last few lines of your 3rd post seem to conflict with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
For purposes of sending duty officers on assignments or on your active roster, just ignore rarity. Rarity is only really relevant for collectors or if you want to figure, for example, how hard it might be to randomly pick up, say, a Blue Saurian as opposed to a Blue Vulcan.

For assignment, rarity/quality does matter, insofar if you see a Purple assignment you know it may be a long time before you see it again, and you also know it will be very well worth doing if you can complete it successfully.

When considering what duty officer to put on an assignment, first consider the mandatory requirements, then see if you have some of the preferred requirements - for example, Ferengi have the Trader trait, so while it isn't mandatory for a Trade assignment, it will be much more likely to succeed on it. Then put the highest quality (color) duty officer that you can afford to put on it if you want to increase your chances of success.

It seems like it would be less confusing if RARITY was based on color, and Quality was based on rank.

Since all humans are common, even a purple quality will be "common" - and how does rank relate to that?

Are ensigns white, Lieutenants green, LtCmdrs blue, etc?

Rarity being color-based is pretty much the standard - and its just co-indicence that rarity and quality are usually linked (in items in MMOs, in cards in CCGs, etc) - So seeing "common" purples or rare white items is going to be troublesome.

Or I'm confused.
Lt. Commander
# 92
06-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
The problem is that the duty officer assignment interface takes up a big chunk of the screen, so unless you had a monster monitor, you wouldn't be able to see the shuttle. Geko would really like to do this, though, so we're still looking into something like when you close the window it activates the effect...but that might require tech.
Could you use the Boarding Party animations?

-Auspice
Lt. Commander
# 93
06-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Cockburn

Assuming that my understanding is correct Heretic, are there any plans to have Department Heads interact during normal gameplay? For example, if I'm doing a mission to save a colony from a disease, will my CMO now be the one who hails me and talks it over, rather than the highest-ranking Science Boff assigned on my current ship? While in theory such interaction would be cool, be aware that it rather ruins things for those of us who plan to have a unique Bridge Crew for each of our endgame ships; it's a little immersion breaking to be hailed by the CMO Boff from my Defiant-R when I'm actually flying my Nebula, and am roleplaying that an entirely different Boff is the CMO of that ship.
We already see some examples of something like this. I can think of a couple at the moment. One involves landing on a planet and then my tactical officer back on the ship warns me of an enemy landing party and wishes me good luck. The problem is that very officer is standing next to me and is not on the ship.

Another example is when I enter a system in B'Tran and I am attacked by Borg "raiders" or by Borg supplying weapons to Starfleet's enemies. Those two things don't go with the Borg but with Nausicaans or Orion or a few others. The Borg are there for just one thing, assimilation.
Lt. Commander
# 94
06-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Sounds awesome. My brain hurts trying to wrap my head around quality vs rarity.. and the last few lines of your 3rd post seem to conflict with each other.

It seems like it would be less confusing if RARITY was based on color, and Quality was based on rank.

Since all humans are common, even a purple quality will be "common" - and how does rank relate to that?

Are ensigns white, Lieutenants green, LtCmdrs blue, etc?

Rarity being color-based is pretty much the standard - and its just co-indicence that rarity and quality are usually linked (in items in MMOs, in cards in CCGs, etc) - So seeing "common" purples or rare white items is going to be troublesome.

Or I'm confused.
Think of it like this, pennies are common, but there are also rare extra valuable pennies.
Lt. Commander
# 95
06-19-2011, 10:57 AM
This stuff is great. I'm loving the intricacies of what you've described thus far Heretic.

I have a question/request however. You mentioned specialities, as in Doctor or Nurse and only allowing 3 of those at a time on the roster. Could we have some more elaboration to those? And could we perhaps get a visual representation of the resulting tree of branch, department and speciality, even if it's in text.

For example, the way I'm hearing it at the moment is like this. Could you fill in some blanks?

Science
Science
?
?
Medical
Doctor
Nurse
Tactical
Tactical
?
?
Security
?
?
Engineering
Engineering
?
?
Operations
?
?
Lt. Commander
# 96
06-19-2011, 11:39 AM
This helped me. A lot. Thank you so much.
Lt. Commander
# 97
06-19-2011, 11:39 AM
I missed something - will any of this make a difference globally, or all the affects are on my pool of officers?

In other words, I hope that by contributing officers to the military that I can positively affect some military campaign - maybe take over a planet because my guys did particularly well.

-Jeff
Lt. Commander
# 98
06-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
Love the whole DOFF concept, every time I read it. I've mentioned this before but the one thing I can see mildly annoying me is how only Humans are listed as innately common. I really think all founding races should be common. Betazoids and Bolians should be uncommon, Trill and Benzites rare, Aenar and Caitians Very Rare.
It's an IP issue. In every Trek show and movie Humans are by far the most common species.
Lt. Commander
# 99
06-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the information and updates Heretic! I'm really looking forward to this and the Department Heads/First Officer system.
Lt. Commander
# 100
06-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
"Rescue Admiral Quinn from the Clutches of the Orion Queen's Bachorlette Party"
Okay, that was funny enough that I had to mention it to my Mom. Funnier still, she agrees with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Drake
This needs to be a featured episode! Right now! :p
Now you have to do it - you even have Trekker Moms behind the idea.