Lt. Commander
# 1041
08-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi all,

I have been reading all the information about the duty officer system and It sounds awesome. I heard that the duty officer system will be going through a red shirt beta. How does one become involved in the beta for this system?
Lt. Commander
# 1042
08-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
[...]
Assignments that you do not qualify for due to reasons such as faction, rank, current sector are in fact hidden from you.

Assignments that you do not qualify for due to needing the right kind of duty officer, not enough EC or commodities, etc. will show up but with indications that you cannot currently do this assignment. If you get the necessary requirements before the assignment list regenerates (currently every four hours) then you can return to that sector and begin that assignment.
[...]
Oh noes. Now you jinxed it. The super awesome tweak your prototype engine assignment won't be completed ever ever because nobody uses the romulan mission reward engine and this stupid bug prevents it from being displayed in your possible assignments.

Sounds like an awesome opportunity for Mr Murphy. *whistles innocently*
Lt. Commander
# 1043
08-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Are there going to be civilians or traits that affect how much things cost or sell for?

For instance a Ferengi doff can get me a discount at stores or somehow buffs the odds of a dabo payout for me. Maybe trading with freighters while having an active doff with trader trait increases what they pay me for things or what I can buy from them "My lobes for business tell me you're a fellow trader and I trust you'll keep this hush hush. I have some *ahem* unique weapons that aren't exactly standard issue if you'd like to see them."

The quality of the trader skill or number of traders active could influence the level/rarity of items offered.
Lt. Commander
# 1044
08-24-2011, 04:17 PM
*cough* I wonder who will test the Duty Officer System? *cough* Please.

On another note, how many assignments take place aboard your own vessel?
Lt. Commander
# 1045
08-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
*cough* I wonder who will test the Duty Officer System? *cough* Please.

There is the Interrogate Prisoner, Execute for Incompetence, and numerous research and maintenance assignments for Medicine, Science, and Engineering.

I would also like to put my name forward for Closed Beta testing of assignments. Have a pacifist Fed Captain that is currently at Lt. 10 and would like to get to VA. She should get to Lt. Commander when she reaches Ambassador. Duty Officer assignments should make this possible. Kind of hard to level up when most missions involve combat and the Diplomacy Daily in Deferi space requires combat to get to it. Duty Officer assignments should make this possible. Might even try the feasibility of rolling a pacifist Gorn for fun.
Lt. Commander
# 1046
08-24-2011, 11:38 PM
In theory, a player could just roleplay and level a character via non-combat/science-only missions (after the tutorial).
Lt. Commander
# 1047
08-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STF65
Is there going to be a comprehensive tutorial for the Duty Officer system? It looks interesting but I think we need more then a 2 minute video to explain it all to us when it launches.
We're still working out the entire plan for how to introduce this. As you guys know, we're very tight on content resources at the moment, so right now we're trying to figure out the most efficient way that won't delay rollout of the system to teach people how to use the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys
I have been reading all the information about the duty officer system and It sounds awesome. I heard that the duty officer system will be going through a red shirt beta. How does one become involved in the beta for this system?
The Redshirt beta has a preliminary list of people who will be sent invites compiled, but even if you aren't on it I wouldn't worry too much - the Redshirt beta will likely only be a three week or so head start, then it will go on Tribble where any player can check the system out for another month or so before the system goes live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
Are there going to be civilians or traits that affect how much things cost or sell for?

For instance a Ferengi doff can get me a discount at stores or somehow buffs the odds of a dabo payout for me. Maybe trading with freighters while having an active doff with trader trait increases what they pay me for things or what I can buy from them "My lobes for business tell me you're a fellow trader and I trust you'll keep this hush hush. I have some *ahem* unique weapons that aren't exactly standard issue if you'd like to see them."
There are assignments that require or at least benefit from certain types of civilian trader duty officers and certain species that offer back items, energy credits and other similar numerics.

They don't, however, as yet affect acquisitions made outside the assignment systems. That's tech we don't have at the moment, though it is something we have talked about.

Quote:
As of last count, there are just shy of 3000 assignments, granting that many are variations off of common themes. Of these 3000, probably a third or so are shipboard.

The way it works is you have a set of "Shipboard" assignments and "Sector" (actually, sector block) assignments. Under the current plan, every four hours you will receive a new list of shipboard assignments. If you run through every single shipboard assignment in that four hours - possible, but difficult - you will have to wait until the four hours is up to get a new set.

In addition to shipboard assignments, however, there are also the sector block assignments. Sector block assignments are also on a four hour refresh timer, but that is a four hour timer per sector block. Thus, if you don't like or run out of the assignments in one sector block, you can go to another sector block and run its available assignments.

Note that for sector block assignments you only need to be in that sector block to begin the assignment - you can continue them in another sector block or even logged out, and you can get the results of a completed assignment from any sector block, not just the one where you initiated that assignment.

When you first start using the system, you won't have access to all the assignments, note, and this is particularly true of shipboard assignments. A large number of shipboard assignments only open up as you achieve commendation category tiers, particularly Engineering, Military, Medical and Science. (Other commendation categories will open up assignments as well, but for those, more often they will be sector block assignments.)

For example, when you first start out you may see assignments that allow you to gain a temporary buff to your Starship Warp Core Training. When you hit Tier II in the Engineering commendation category, you'll start seeing shipboard assignments that if completed will give you a temporary buff to, say, Starship Shield Maintenance skill. Go up additional commendation category tiers, and you'll open higher ranking skills as well.

Some assignments are also locked to social zones like Andoria, Bajor, Earth Stardock, The First City, and so on.

For example, you may need to go to Starfleet or Klingon Academy to get certain recruitment assignments, or the First City or Earth Stardock to get civilian recruitment assignments.

Quote:
In theory, a player could just roleplay and level a character via non-combat/science-only missions (after the tutorial).
Yes, this is, in fact, part of the design, though it would not be as fast to do this purely through assignments as it would to do missions. The fastest approach is intended to be a combination of missions and assignments.
Lt. Commander
# 1048
08-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Quote:
We're still working out the entire plan for how to introduce this. As you guys know, we're very tight on content resources at the moment, so right now we're trying to figure out the most efficient way that won't delay rollout of the system to teach people how to use the system.
Heretic, please keep in mind that we at StarbaseUGC.com are neither new at testing things, nor are we afraid of creating tutorial videos to teach people new things about Star Trek Online. One or some of us would be more than willing to help out in this department, granting that we get an opportunity to learn it ourselves.

If you guys don't have the resources to make tutorial videos, in short, we do. Leverage us!
Lt. Commander
# 1049
08-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Quote:
[...]
The Redshirt beta has a preliminary list of people who will be sent invites compiled, but even if you aren't on it I wouldn't worry too much - the Redshirt beta will likely only be a three week or so head start, then it will go on Tribble where any player can check the system out for another month or so before the system goes live.
Bah... you have no idea how long three weeks can be. :p

Quote:
[...]
In addition to shipboard assignments, however, there are also the sector block assignments. Sector block assignments are also on a four hour refresh timer, but that is a four hour timer per sector block. Thus, if you don't like or run out of the assignments in one sector block, you can go to another sector block and run its available assignments.[...]
Just to get this right. Do we get new missions every 4 hours regardless if we take them or not or will they be always the same until we decide to do them?

Also will the sectors all refresh at the same time or will e.g. sirius refresh at 2am while eta eridani refreshes at 4am? Or in other words one big change every 4 hours or several small changes every 30min?
Lt. Commander
# 1050
08-25-2011, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
Heretic, please keep in mind that we at StarbaseUGC.com are neither new at testing things, nor are we afraid of creating tutorial videos to teach people new things about Star Trek Online. One or some of us would be more than willing to help out in this department, granting that we get an opportunity to learn it ourselves.

If you guys don't have the resources to make tutorial videos, in short, we do. Leverage us!
I will keep that in mind.

In all actuality, I have always been very impressed by the information and wikis that the community has produced, and am greatly looking forward to what is done for the duty officer assignment system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir888 View Post
Bah... you have no idea how long three weeks can be.

Just to get this right. Do we get new missions every 4 hours regardless if we take them or not or will they be always the same until we decide to do them?

Also will the sectors all refresh at the same time or will e.g. sirius refresh at 2am while eta eridani refreshes at 4am? Or in other words one big change every 4 hours or several small changes every 30min?
Heh. For us it's just the opposite...you have no idea how short three weeks is.

You get new assignments every four hours regardless of whether you take them or not. If you return to a sector block within that time period, the assignments available will be the same.

I am pretty sure shipboard assignments and sector block assignments refresh independently of each other, and I think all sector block assignments refresh at the same time as every other sector block assignment - I will have to verify that last, however. (I use internal tools to force updating for development purposes. Just impatient.)

Once you've begun an assignment, of course, it doesn't matter if the sector block you got it from refreshes.