Lt. Commander
# 111
06-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokerroneous View Post
Bekk and Warrior are widely used as synonyms (both in canon, as noted by MA, and by the Trek community at large). If STO chooses to have them denote two distinct ranks (especially of different quality), it will doubtless confuse some Klingon players.
It was my understanding that Bekk was the Klingon equivalent to a Sergeant & Warrior referred to all members of the Klingon Defence Force.
Lt. Commander
# 112
06-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokerroneous View Post
Bekk and Warrior are widely used as synonyms (both in canon, as noted by MA, and by the Trek community at large). If STO chooses to have them denote two distinct ranks (especially of different quality), it will doubtless confuse some Klingon players.
Bekks are a subset of warrior.

All KDF members are warriors. However, bekks are a specific, sub-NCO rank (like seaman or crewman, just a step below Petty Oficers and others NCOs like Sergeants).

It's like all U.S. Marines are devil-dogs, leathernecks, and warriors but only some are Sergeants or NCOs.
Lt. Commander
# 113
06-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Bekks are a subset of warrior.

All KDF members are warriors. However, bekks are a specific, non-commissioned officer rank.

It's like all U.S. Marines are devil-dogs, leathernecks, and warriors but only some are Sergeants or NCOs.
Doh. I inherited most of the ranking work, and never looked too closely at it. Thanks for catching that. I will see about retrofitting that. Probably just change "Warrior" to "Sergeant", based off of Memory Alpha.
Lt. Commander
# 114
06-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Doh. I inherited most of the ranking work, and never looked too closely at it. Thanks for catching that. I will see about retrofitting that. Probably just change "Warrior" to "Sergeant", based off of Memory Alpha.
I didn't even realize that you'd made a mistake.

I was just explaining that some titles that apply to the same group are not necessarily synonymous. I nearly busted out the euler/venn diagrams to explain how some are subsets of others or titles that work faction-wide.

I was partly wrong: bekk is allegedly equivalent to crewman. This means that they are not NCOs.

So, Enlisted Ranks:
Starfleet-------KDF
Petty Officer---Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant
Crewman---------Bekk
(here's a good chart: Klingons are more like the USMC and Feds more like the USN)
Lt. Commander
# 115
06-19-2011, 06:51 PM
There are a lot of specialties, and they may still undergo some changes, but I'll give some examples:

Tactical: Conn Officer, Energy Weapons Officer, Shield Distribution Officer
Security: Security Officer, Assault Squad Officer, Armory Officer
Engineering: Diagnostic Engineer, Fabrication Engineer, Warp Core Engineer
Operations: Flight Deck Officer, Quartermaster, Explosives Expert, Tractor Beam Officer
Science: Astrometrics Scientist, Warp Theorist, Botanist, Research Lab Scientist
Medical: Doctor, Nurse, EMH, Biochemist, Counselor
Civilian: Bartender, Chef, Trader, Diplomat, Prisoner, Colonist

Tactical should be changed to Command. Conn(Helm) officer is a command line officer on the TV shows and movies. There should be an option to designate the bridge station as Security/Tactical. In TNG and Voyager, the head of security is also the head tactical officer. Ops station handles resource allocation: rerouting power to other systems and allocating sensor usage. Explosives Expert is more of a Security position. Flight Deck Officer is related to Conn Officer which should be command. Quartermaster could be either command or ops.
Lt. Commander
# 116
06-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Also, Civilians have quality, but no rank, further complicating tying it to rank unless we divorced it from the Star Trek IP.
Depending on how Civilians are represented, they COULD have rank within the IP.

It would go something like:

Civilian Official

Liason (ref)
Deputy Director (ref
Director (ref)
Governor Governor

I don't think this fits perfectly with what's called for in the DOff system...

However, I could see this becoming a special kind of BOff who acts as the Civilian Department Head and allows you to build rep with a single NPC faction. Unlike traditional factions in MMOs where it's about YOUR personal fame growing, your Civilian Official is a BO who adventures with you but may be sent on special assignments of their own, removing them from your roster) and as THEIR influence grows (through special ranking up), your sphere of influence inside their culture grows.

Just a special BO who doubles as Civilian "Department Head", who ranks differently from other BOs, and who grants you a set of perks. As an additional perk, I'd have it so that they beam down with you to their colony/homeworld when you go there and can do things like get you access to stores, transwarps and council meetings.
Lt. Commander
# 117
06-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAINJK740
There are a lot of specialties, and they may still undergo some changes, but I'll give some examples:

Tactical: Conn Officer, Energy Weapons Officer, Shield Distribution Officer
Security: Security Officer, Assault Squad Officer, Armory Officer
Engineering: Diagnostic Engineer, Fabrication Engineer, Warp Core Engineer
Operations: Flight Deck Officer, Quartermaster, Explosives Expert, Tractor Beam Officer
Science: Astrometrics Scientist, Warp Theorist, Botanist, Research Lab Scientist
Medical: Doctor, Nurse, EMH, Biochemist, Counselor
Civilian: Bartender, Chef, Trader, Diplomat, Prisoner, Colonist

Tactical should be changed to Command. Conn(Helm) officer is a command line officer on the TV shows and movies. There should be an option to designate the bridge station as Security/Tactical. In TNG and Voyager, the head of security is also the head tactical officer. Ops station handles resource allocation: rerouting power to other systems and allocating sensor usage. Explosives Expert is more of a Security position. Flight Deck Officer is related to Conn Officer which should be command. Quartermaster could be either command or ops.
I have some questions of my own.

So our DO can train our BO. If my DO trains my BO in the DO "efficient" skill, does the BO have the old "efficient" skill or the new one, that does something different? If the first, that could really destroy the monopoly that uncommon Saurians have in my ship assignments section, lol.

Can you train more than one DO skill to each BO? If so, is there a limit? Can i buy one of every DO for each of my BO and use them all for training so all of my BO have every skill?

We are limited to 3 DO with specific skills to affect the ship, such as "Nursing" which might give faster crew repair. How many different skills are there? Can I buy enough slots in my BO section from the C-store to have 3 different officers for every single skill in order to maximize my ship?
Lt. Commander
# 118
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Duty OfficersTactical: Conn Officer
Sweet. Now I'll finally know who to blame when my ship goes off course. :p

Quote:
Duty officers come in various ranks up to lieutenant junior grade, if I recall correctly. You cannot promote them. While I won't categorically rule out that it will never be possible, it actually would cause some issues with other systems, so I doubt it will.
So in theory I could have Lt. ranked Doffs who answer to a Ensign ranked Boff department head?

Because if so I'm totally going to do it. And I'll change his name to Harry.
Lt. Commander
# 119
06-19-2011, 10:47 PM
I request that this thread be stickied when it is the appropriate time. DOFFs are a complex new game mechanic. This thread helped me understand it a lot more. And I think it's essential for new players.
Lt. Commander
# 120
06-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I request that this thread be stickied when it is the appropriate time. DOFFs are a complex new game mechanic. This thread helped me understand it a lot more. And I think it's essential for new players.
Agreed. Rub it in honey and slap it at the top of the forums.

Z