Lt. Commander
# 181
06-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
I think the slots give you passive bonuses for the most part - its the First officer that gives you extra active powers.

I think.
I misspoke. when i used the word active i was referring to the fact that those passive bonuses were "actively" helping you and not actual abilities that the captain could activate. hence why i said PASSIVE ABILITIES in my last statement.

I also believe that the first officer will only give us ONE active slottable power that was not included in my calculations and that this would be in addition to their Doff Passive Bonuses
Lt. Commander
# 182
06-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltdg View Post
I misspoke. when i used the word active i was referring to the fact that those passive bonuses were "actively" helping you and not actual abilities that the captain could activate. hence why i said PASSIVE ABILITIES in my last statement.

I also believe that the first officer will only give us ONE active slottable power that was not included in my calculations and that this would be in addition to their Doff Passive Bonuses
To clarify, the current plan is for Department Heads to each provide three passive abilities, and your First Officer to provide three passive abilities PLUS one activatable ability.
Lt. Commander
# 183
06-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Where will this interface exist?
Our ready room?
Anywhere within our ship?
Anywhere in the game?
Lt. Commander
# 184
06-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
In other words, you ding tier three in Exploration, you get a unique duty officer. That duty officer probably won't be tradeable. Having dinged tier three, that opens up repeatable assignments that let you get additional good duty (and bridge) officers - these would be tradeable.
Heretic, what is your expectation on how long it will probably take to max out one star cluster/ or even tier? Will there be limitations on how fast we can get the branch maxxed out - say, daily limit - or is is totaly up to us how many time we grind one specific branch?

Other than that.
Will there be any non-ingame possibility to see our roster like the captains page on the website, or is this purely ingame?
Lt. Commander
# 185
06-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Now all we need is an iPad app (or website interface) for managing the duty roster and assignments.
This way I can sit at my desk, with my PADD, cup of Earl Grey feeling like a proper starship captain.
Lt. Commander
# 186
06-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
To clarify, the current plan is for Department Heads to each provide three passive abilities, and your First Officer to provide three passive abilities PLUS one activatable ability.
will the activatable ability be different depending on the Doff's my First Officer 'ate'?

example:
if i had 3 engineering Doffs 'eaten' by my Engineering Boff (who's my First Officer), who were skilled in emergency power to shields, but my First Officer didn't know Emergency Power to Shields... would this give my Boff Emergency Power to Shields III, as an activable ability?

also using this example, if i only 'ate' two of the EPtS Doff's, and had a different Doff 'eaten' as the third, would this give my First Officer Engineer Emergency Power to Shields II instead?
Lt. Commander
# 187
06-21-2011, 11:34 AM
So will dinging to the next rank in a level be the only way we get these more exclusive doffs? Or will there be a wider, more elusive way of discovering/aquiring some of them?

Cluster mission patrols? Rescuing prisoners at the last second from Klingon brigs as you destroy their ship? Obtaining accolades? Or even perhaps completing entire missions?

Just curious. :-) Keep up the good work, btw! Don't let the impatient types discourage you. Yall are doing some of the best stuff this game has seen.
Lt. Commander
# 188
06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Do you have any plans to model any DOFFs on people around the office? This could provide an amazing opportunity for you to mock cooworkers.

Dstahl: So, um....I noticed an Ensign Dstahl in the DOFF system.
Heretic: Yeah, crazy what randomly pops up.
Dstahl: An Ensign? And it has the "forced labor" trait.
Heretic: Yeah, it gives a speed bonus at the expense of morale.
Dstahl: Its the only DO that has that trait.....and well, it looks like me. Exactly like me.
Heretic: hhhmmm...Wierd. I'll, uh fix it.
Dstahl: Make it so.
Lt. Commander
# 189
06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Can DO's be placed in bank slots? Or can they only be traded in the same way that BO's are currently?
Lt. Commander
# 190
06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Reonic
As a 3-year EVE veteran, i've been hoping to see a game mechanic that would bring some of the immersion and complexity that STO lacked in the beginning. This looks like a setup where people who don't care, can just continue to do their thing, and those of us who like complexity can go nuts with managing their crews. This is honestly something that probably should have been introduced much sooner, but i'm glad we're getting it.
Pretty much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltdg View Post
So let me see if i'm reading this right. In total, when both the DOff system and the Department Head/First Officer System rolls out, you guys are currently thinking about (for end game): ~10 active Space Doff powers, ~10 active ground Doffs powers, ~3 per department via the DH system for ~18 doff powers, and an addition ~3 for the FO system.

For a grand total of ~41 passive abilities that we didn't have before.
WOW
I'm excited for that but mostly excited that these are characters we send on missions and can get injured. They're not just blue or yellow sockets or runes.