Lt. Commander
# 231
06-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
There is, in fact, an "Execute for Incompetence" Development assignment on the KDF side. You can even get a buff to your Starship Command skill for it if it winds up improving morale. (A similar buff reward can also occur if you "Reassign Officer" back to headquarters for underperformance.)

The Fed side has a "Discipline Crewman" assignment that is similar, though with a lesser reward (since they don't actually lose a crewman.) There are several other assignments in a similar vein as well.
so in esence we can be rewarded for having a useless crewman? will we get buffs for sucessful or critical sucess missions?

i like the idea of being able to kill bad crewmen ST;4 style but why have it buff you, i'd assume if it was done once the crew wouldnt forget it and try to do better, but surely it would cause as many mistakes from nerves as incresed performance, and maybe a muteny or two.
Lt. Commander
# 232
06-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
so in esence we can be rewarded for having a useless crewman? will we get buffs for sucessful or critical sucess missions?

i like the idea of being able to kill bad crewmen ST;4 style but why have it buff you, i'd assume if it was done once the crew wouldnt forget it and try to do better, but surely it would cause as many mistakes from nerves as incresed performance, and maybe a muteny or two.
Because it scares everyone else into shaping up? I mean, that's why Klingons execute incompetent crewmen, not because they're innately bloodthirsty, per se, but to improve performance across the board.
Lt. Commander
# 233
06-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Because it scares everyone else into shaping up? I mean, that's why Klingons execute incompetent crewmen, not because they're innately bloodthirsty, per se, but to improve performance across the board.
but if you know you'll die if what you do is wrong you'll slow down and check things

and if you know you'll die if you are slow you'll do less checking

lets assume these are trained crew who in a space fight understand that if they loose the fight they'll probibly die or be prisoners anyway. why would being lead by a trigger happy guy make you perform better.
Lt. Commander
# 234
06-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
but if you know you'll die if what you do is wrong you'll slow down and check things

lets assume these are trained crew who in a space fight understand that if they loose the fight they'll probibly die or be prisoners anyway. why would being lead by a trigger happy guy make you perform better.
actually, it's not knowing that you'll die when something like that happens, it's working harder because you DON'T want to be the next one... it just makes sense
Lt. Commander
# 235
06-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Questions:
  • How long would it take on average to max out a commendation category (assuming a player is already at cap)?
  • Is it at a testable state internally yet?
Lt. Commander
# 236
06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Quote:

"The beatings will continue until moral improves" ... that's the general concept :p .

In all seriousness, the concept of on-the-spot executions of crew members isn't unheard of in human history. In essence, if a crew member 1) Disobeyed an order or attempted mutiny, 2) Risked the success of a mission due to negligence, and/or 3) Risked the ship & crew due to negligence ... then that crew member was likely to be executed in front of the rest of the crew as an example.

Then again, with Klingons, speaking ill of their mother would warrant a bat'leth to the skull.
Lt. Commander
# 237
06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Quote:

Well, maybe frequent killing should cause penalties.

I don't think the idea is that Klingons execute people for any dumb thing or for a simple mistake but more for gross incompetence and outright dishonorable behavior.

Ideally, in a system like this, your DO would come back to you with a critical failure and say something like, "Oh. I killed the diplomats and their children at that conference you sent me to."

And you can be like, "Idiot. Shove him out the airlock."
Lt. Commander
# 238
06-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
  • How long would it take on average to max out a commendation category (assuming a player is already at cap)?
  • Is it at a testable state internally yet?
The guts of the system all work and the data is on track or even slightly ahead of schedule, but there remains work to be done before the system will be extensively testable by anyone not intimately familiar with the system.

As for the first question, let me turn it around - how long do you guys think it should take, in terms of hours of gameplay, focusing on a single commendation category, with what degree of focus on the assignment system?
Lt. Commander
# 239
06-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Quote:
As for the first question, let me turn it around - how long do you guys think it should take, in terms of hours of gameplay, focusing on a single commendation category, with what degree of focus on the assignment system?
Trick question!

This depends on how long the average assignment takes.

Since the system is fairly autonomous, once you send them out, it would need to be balanced around set numbers of assignments completed--which ultimately depends on how long these assignments take.

I could say 50 assignments but that could mean 50 minutes or 50 hours or 50 days.

I'm also tempted to say 5^x as a commendation tier scale (5 for Tier I, 25 for tier II, 125 for Tier III, 625 for Tier IV, etc.) but, then again, I have no idea how long these assignments take and whether categories enter cooldown after acceptance.That'd also sound like torture for a Tier 5 commendation. :p
Lt. Commander
# 240
06-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Quote:
The guts of the system all work and the data is on track or even slightly ahead of schedule, but there remains work to be done before the system will be extensively testable by anyone not intimately familiar with the system.

Well, if diplomacy will be quicker once this goes live... I think that's a model for it.

Personally, I think the categories should all take as long as diplomacy but maybe you should add a sixth tier to Diplomacy and make six tiers the standard, with maybe 15 hours for the first 5 tiers (which is my wild guess at what Diplomacy will take if it becomes faster) and another 10 hours for the new added sixth tier.