Lt. Commander
# 21
06-18-2011, 06:16 PM
First, thank you!! Your efforts are greatly appreciated. I say that this thread should be stickied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
In the Federation, Humans are Common while Andorians, Tellarites and Vulcans are Uncommon. All other Federation species are Rare or Very Rare (the latter only currently used for Federation Klingons, I believe).

In the Klingon Empire, Klingons are Common while Orions, Nausicaans and Gorn are Uncommon. Letheans are Rare.
I noticed there are no very rare KDF DOffs. Are there plans to add them?

Quote:
Rarity and quality are correlated, but not rigidly linked - rarity is Common, Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare. Quality is White, Green, Blue, Purple. For the Federation, a Human of White quality is Common, while an Andorian of White quality is Uncommon. For the Klingons, a Klingon of White quality is Common, while an Orion of White quality is Uncommon. For assignments, quality and rarity is, however, linked, with Common always correlating to White quality, Uncommon with Green, and so on.
Having DOff quality and rarity more-or-less disassociated, but assignment quality and rarity linked, is difficult to get my head around. So it would be better to send a DOff with matching rarity/quality to the assignment than, say, opposite, right? So Common Johnny Purple is perfect for a Common Purple mission (do assignments have quality?) while Rare Bob White is not so good, assuming there aren't other mission requirements. Is that correct?

Z
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Wow, looks really fun and deep.
I really really hope there will eventually be an app for this so I can get my sto fix on the go!
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Sounds cool but very complex. I really like the idea of it going on in the background. But more hotbar powers could be a problem. I've already maxed out my space hotbars completely. Better give us a 4th hotbar.

It does sound extremely complex and makes me wonder if its going to be even doable.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouslyGeeky View Post
Sounds cool but very complex. I really like the idea of it going on in the background. But more hotbar powers could be a problem. I've already maxed out my space hotbars completely. Better give us a 4th hotbar.

It does sound extremely complex and makes me wonder if its going to be even doable.
If you check out Tribble, more bar options have been added
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
I noticed there are no very rare KDF DOffs. Are there plans to add them?

Having DOff quality and rarity more-or-less disassociated, but assignment quality and rarity linked, is difficult to get my head around. So it would be better to send a DOff with matching rarity/quality to the assignment than, say, opposite, right? So Common Johnny Purple is perfect for a Common Purple mission (do assignments have quality?) while Rare Bob White is not so good, assuming there aren't other mission requirements. Is that correct?
Very Rare is currently only being used for Federation Klingons and maybe one other. It's a catch for those things that should be very, very uncommon. Note that this doesn't affect quality - all species can still be all qualities. When we add new species (other than uniques, for which the concept of rarity doesn't really mean anything) if one comes up that seems to fall into this super-rare classification on the Klingon side, then we'd put it there.

For purposes of sending duty officers on assignments or on your active roster, just ignore rarity. Rarity is only really relevant for collectors or if you want to figure, for example, how hard it might be to randomly pick up, say, a Blue Saurian as opposed to a Blue Vulcan.

For assignment, rarity/quality does matter, insofar if you see a Purple assignment you know it may be a long time before you see it again, and you also know it will be very well worth doing if you can complete it successfully.

When considering what duty officer to put on an assignment, first consider the mandatory requirements, then see if you have some of the preferred requirements - for example, Ferengi have the Trader trait, so while it isn't mandatory for a Trade assignment, it will be much more likely to succeed on it. Then put the highest quality (color) duty officer that you can afford to put on it if you want to increase your chances of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouslyGeeky View Post

None of the active roster powers will be activated directly for exactly the reason you've described. They are all passive or have a chance of proccing on use of other powers.

As for complexity, while there are a lot of depths that you can choose to explore to maximize your benefits from the system, the reality is in most cases if you just dump Joe Random Science guy on an assignment that requires someone from the Science branch, you'll do just fine. The system is being designed to be voluntarily deep.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Heretic, amazing post! Thank you so much for this info

A small favor to ask: We LOVE that you are actually putting info when their is a status update. When you make one, would you mind replying to this thread so we get notified that there is an update? A lot of us are subscribed to the dev tracker

YOU ROCK!
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfelczer View Post
Heretic, amazing post! Thank you so much for this info

A small favor to ask: We LOVE that you are actually putting info when their is a status update. When you make one, would you mind replying to this thread so we get notified that there is an update? A lot of us are subscribed to the dev tracker

YOU ROCK!
Yep, that was my intention.

For anything that is in this thread in a later post, I will just copy that info into the main set of posts. For anything that is in a separate thread, I will copy it over and post in this thread so people realize it's been updated.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Yep, that was my intention.

For anything that is in this thread in a later post, I will just copy that info into the main set of posts. For anything that is in a separate post, I will copy it over and post in this thread so people realize it's been updated.
Again, you rock!
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Very Rare is currently only being used for Federation Klingons and maybe one other. It's a catch for those things that should be very, very uncommon. Note that this doesn't affect quality - all species can still be all qualities. When we add new species (other than uniques, for which the concept of rarity doesn't really mean anything) if one comes up that seems to fall into this super-rare classification on the Klingon side, then we'd put it there. [...]
hello,
first thanks heretic for your time to post this on saturday evening and thanks for your work and the rest of the team .

mhh i think on klingon side would be any starfleet officer of any race that had defected grand a "rare" status, i mean it should be alot of but as far we see the series there are defectors.
and another source for very rare officer would be, imho, a liberated duty officer, something like seven for both factions.

just a idea *g*

have a nice weekend.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Magic, got it.

:p