Lt. Commander
# 321
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
so is part of the reason for the delay of the duty officer system because you want to add the department head system to it? I think I remember that it was going to come out after the launch of the duty officer system when you were first talking about it, now it seams like they are rolling out at the same time, is that part of the reason for delay?
Lt. Commander
# 322
06-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiejamieelliot1987
so is part of the reason for the delay of the duty officer system because you want to add the department head system to it? I think I remember that it was going to come out after the launch of the duty officer system when you were first talking about it, now it seams like they are rolling out at the same time, is that part of the reason for delay?
The department head/first officer system is not currently planned to roll out until after the launch of the initial part of the duty officer and assignment system.

Every system - including all of the ones connected with duty officers - we make requires several mandatory elements to be able to be checked off:
  • Design Architecture (Design)
  • Design Data Implementation (Design)
  • Backend Functionality Code (Software)
  • Frontend UI Code (Software)
  • Concept Art (Art)
  • Final Art (Art)
  • Audio (Audio)
  • Cross-System Interactions (Design/Software/Art)
  • Business Considerations (Business Development/Production)
  • Internal Vetting (QA/Production)

Until all of these can be satisfactorily checked off by Production, nothing can be rolled out to Tribble. A snag in any part of this process can halt progress - someone gets sick, something takes longer than expected on this or another system or element of the game, marketing or business development legal issues, an unexpected design complication, an unanticipated interaction with another part of the system, or a dozen other issues.

As a matter of reasonable production, we add substantial fudge time into our schedules, but even with this, sometimes things still get delayed.

The one bright side of all of this is that due to the delay we've gotten more time to work on more assignments than expected, and this also means that we have had the opportunity to take more of your feedback into consideration and see what we can incorporate.
Lt. Commander
# 323
06-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The one bright side of all of this is that due to the delay we've gotten more time to work on more assignments than expected, and this also means that we have had the opportunity to take more of your feedback into consideration and see what we can incorporate.
That counts as a win in my book.
Lt. Commander
# 324
06-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Business Considerations (Business Development/Production)
AKA the C-Store...aka "How can we profit off this?" people picking the game apart to make more money (Marcom)

I hope it's not stuck on that step...that would make Powerhelm angry, Powerhelm smash puny Marcom!
Lt. Commander
# 325
06-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
AKA the C-Store...aka "How can we profit off this?" people picking the game apart to make more money (Marcom)

I hope it's not stuck on that step...that would make Powerhelm angry, Powerhelm smash puny Marcom!
No, this is not a sticking point. This aspect has been pretty clear from the beginning how it would work. There have been some minor adjustments and there are still some things to work out, but it's not a blocking issue at this point.

Business considerations, btw, are a lot broader than the C-Store, and include things like data management costs, timing with various project elements, coordination with marketing efforts, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 326
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Certain people are just quick to blame everything on the C-store. Heck, somebody the other day blamed the C-store for the cloak bug getting fixed so, "unbelievably fast."

How would you think the C-store is holding it back? "How can we monetize this?" "Well, we have a way to give out doffs, now just copy it and add a pricetag instead of the grind/gate/etc." Easy. "How can we balance this, make it fun without losing longevity, and how can we avoid painting ourselves into a corner for future expansion?" "Well... uh... I'll get back to you." Not easy. In fact this entire thread has been about approximate inexact answers to that question, the C-store question was pretty much laid on the block weeks ago.
Lt. Commander
# 327
06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
Since when is it a wrong for a business to make money??
Lt. Commander
# 328
06-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Certain people are just quick to blame everything on the C-store. Heck, somebody the other day blamed the C-store for the cloak bug getting fixed so, "unbelievably fast."
I personally think that the C-Store speeds things up. If there is some extra money to be made from the system then they might work faster (just a theory). Anyway, I like the way the Doff system seems to fit into the C-Store and grind systems.
Lt. Commander
# 329
06-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
Since when is it a wrong for a business to make money??
+1.

Cryptic had BETTER make a profit off this, or we won't have a game, will we?
Lt. Commander
# 330
06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernaut
+1.

Cryptic had BETTER make a profit off this, or we won't have a game, will we?
cryptic might not have a game but im pritty sure we shall still have one. anyone seen anywhere that cbs has said that they will allow atari to sell star trek online ?