Lt. Commander
# 401
07-04-2011, 11:24 PM
What's the point of adding a whole new tier of DOFF ratings if the moment it comes in we're already at max?

Why would you seek the new higher tier DOFF content if you automatically jump. As for replaying content... sure you can replay A lientenant commander mission as a VA and absolutely demolish the enemy. That's not fun. Why would the DoFF system be any different? It would basically be if as a VA (lvl 61) played lvl 55 content

Isn't the whole fun of having a new tier is the goal of working to the goal of gaining 1360 DXP (for the current ambassador ranking)? As diplomissions stand now once you reach Ambassador there is no reason to even do a single more diplomission unless of course you like the content.

I don't want this tier to be automatically acheived because people were trying to aim for a nebulous target of DXP just so that the moment the new tier is released. I consider that to be gaming the system. You're cheating yourself out of the goal of acheiving the next tier and frankly why should missions count when the concept of the next tier hasn't even been considered?

As far as decisions on this topic is made I don't really mind if Crptic do count previous missions but they'd need to tell us with plenty of time left and give us a ?XP target number or at least say 800 ?XP to get to the next DOFF ability tier. At least that way we all know and we all can acheive that goal or decide not to. However on the other hand if they say that they will not count previous mission ?XP or simple don't include it when the DOFF tiers advance then that fine and no one has any basis to claim that they've been short changed simply because they chose to do something when there was no real for doing it and thus should have no expectation for receiving rewards for it.
Lt. Commander
# 402
07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazag
As far as decisions on this topic is made I don't really mind if Crptic do count previous missions but they'd need to tell us with plenty of time left and give us a ?XP target number or at least say 800 ?XP to get to the next DOFF ability tier. At least that way we all know and we all can acheive that goal or decide not to. However on the other hand if they say that they will not count previous mission ?XP or simple don't include it when the DOFF tiers advance then that fine and no one has any basis to claim that they've been short changed simply because they chose to do something when there was no real for doing it and thus should have no expectation for receiving rewards for it.
Going to have to wait a few months for that decision since
a) Commendations are not even out yet and
b) doubt devs even know if they will add Tier 5 to every Commendation category

The same problems you have with DXP also applies to other Commendation categories. If people can get Tier 5 for Diplomacy when Tier 5 comes out, then they can get Tier 5 automatically for all the others.
Lt. Commander
# 403
07-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Quote:
What's the point of adding a whole new tier of DOFF ratings if the moment it comes in we're already at max?
To do the actual missions and gain the rewards. The ranking provides you access, we do not get any of the reward BOffs or the like for completing the assignments made available through the DOff system.

Regardless, we're ALREADY entering into the DOff system with our preestablished Diplomacy levels so your concept is already shot. If we've maxed Diplomacy we start with max Diplomacy the moment the system goes live. If this doesn't "break the system" then following the pattern at the raise of the cap wouldn't either.

The real question becomes; Why have First Contact missions for us to do if after we hit the Diplomacy Cap we earn nothing in doing them? There's no point in having repeatable gameplay if it's going to be so transient in nature.

Quote:
Why would you seek the new higher tier DOFF content if you automatically jump. As for replaying content... sure you can replay A lientenant commander mission as a VA and absolutely demolish the enemy. That's not fun. Why would the DoFF system be any different? It would basically be if as a VA (lvl 61) played lvl 55 content
No it wouldn't. The ranks don't give you more power, they simply give you access to higher level assignments. They aren't going to make you any more capable of completing assignments. At the end of the day that all rests on the shoulders of your assigned DOff and random chance, your Diplomacy Rank doesn't give him a +5 Bat'leth of Vorpal Slaying.

In fact, since technically you'll be able to access harder assignments earlier, you may very well be less capable of doing them than had you gotten there post-launch, since you wouldn't have the same quality of DOffs earned via assignments. So actually you should be able to have more fun since you'd actually be less capable of blowing through the content.

Quote:
Isn't the whole fun of having a new tier is the goal of working to the goal of gaining 1360 DXP (for the current ambassador ranking)?
Isn't the whole point of doing the missions (like First Contacts) to gain DXP? So basically you've removed the incentive to bother doing them for a few of my characters. Congratulations, you've just removed potential gameplay from me and gained nothing for it.

Quote:
As diplomissions stand now once you reach Ambassador there is no reason to even do a single more diplomission unless of course you like the content.
And that seems right to you? Invalidating an entire stream of content?

As it stands now, in fact, we are still earning DXP from these missions. That's a reason to do them. That gives incentive to take part in the content as opposed to letting it stagnate off in a corner.
Lt. Commander
# 404
07-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Going to have to wait a few months for that decision since
a) Commendations are not even out yet and
b) doubt devs even know if they will add Tier 5 to every Commendation category

The same problems you have with DXP also applies to other Commendation categories. If people can get Tier 5 for Diplomacy when Tier 5 comes out, then they can get Tier 5 automatically for all the others.
You are exactly right, I don't expect any formal announcement soon about this and really this is all in Cryptic's court. What they are going to do and how long beforefore hand they decide to announce it they do announce anything or not.

But yes what we are discussing regards Diplomacy just as much apples to every other catagory which was why at the I started using '?XP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
To do the actual missions and gain the rewards. The ranking provides you access, we do not get any of the reward BOffs or the like for completing the assignments made available through the DOff system.
I have to disagree here from what I've read here there will be differeny content available once someone advances a tier.

Quote:
Regardless, we're ALREADY entering into the DOff system with our preestablished Diplomacy levels so your concept is already shot. If we've maxed Diplomacy we start with max Diplomacy the moment the system goes live. If this doesn't "break the system" then following the pattern at the raise of the cap wouldn't either.
The difference is that this is incorporating the Fed Diplomacy Corp into the DOff system. It's a system integration issue not an expansion on the system. If Cryptic had decided that the DOff system and the Fed diplo corp system were to remain two different systems we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Quote:
The real question becomes; Why have First Contact missions for us to do if after we hit the Diplomacy Cap we earn nothing in doing them? There's no point in having repeatable gameplay if it's going to be so transient in nature.
There are only so many rewards in any system No one is saying that First Contact missions are going to be removed. The question is when they are going to become more important. Now when there is no real in game motivation to do them apart from a potential benefit or when the the new teir is added and their is clear in game motivation to do so.

Quote:
\No it wouldn't. The ranks don't give you more power, they simply give you access to higher level assignments. They aren't going to make you any more capable of completing assignments. At the end of the day that all rests on the shoulders of your assigned DOff and random chance, your Diplomacy Rank doesn't give him a +5 Bat'leth of Vorpal Slaying.
No perhaps it doesn't but an unlocked assignment might and that is based on your rank,

Quote:
In fact, since technically you'll be able to access harder assignments earlier, you may very well be less capable of doing them than had you gotten there post-launch, since you wouldn't have the same quality of DOffs earned via assignments. So actually you should be able to have more fun since you'd actually be less capable of blowing through the content.
Possibly but due to the nature of assignments "hardness" especially since it's based on random chance could also be rather unfun.

Quote:
Isn't the whole point of doing the missions (like First Contacts) to gain DXP? So basically you've removed the incentive to bother doing them for a few of my characters. Congratulations, you've just removed potential gameplay from me and gained nothing for it.
For most of the diplomatic missions so far DXP does seem to be the major reward. I'm not sure how this will be for the DOff system but I may very well have to back pedal on this depending on the various rewards for the assignments that we don't know

Quote:
And that seems right to you? Invalidating an entire stream of content?
not invalidating as that implies that it's entirely useless. The missions are useful upto a point the point where their major reward becomes no longer desirable.

Quote:
As it stands now, in fact, we are still earning DXP from these missions. That's a reason to do them. That gives incentive to take part in the content as opposed to letting it stagnate off in a corner.
Yes but what reason is there for this building up this DXP when you've got everything you can for it? In my opinion trying to do this is tantamount to gaming the system. Cryptic may agree or it may not but what is clear now is that you could try to get more DXP for absolutely no reason at all.
Lt. Commander
# 405
07-05-2011, 09:46 AM
So when does this go to Tribble? I logged on there today thinking this was part of season 4, but I didn't see any duty officers or anything like it.
Lt. Commander
# 406
07-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
So when does this go to Tribble? I logged on there today thinking this was part of season 4, but I didn't see any duty officers or anything like it.
There are two different sections of season 4 that will launch. Ground Combat changes, Borg changes, and a few other things are on tribble and should launch this week. Then there is the Duty Officer system where devs have said it will take about a month to test on Tribble before it is launched. Therefore, we are looking at a July release for most of Season 4 and an August or September release for the Duty Officer system.
Lt. Commander
# 407
07-05-2011, 01:08 PM
so any word on how we will access the assignments?

will it be a tab in the avalible mission, something inside the ship, links on the side like accepted diplomat missions or partialy completed explor missions (realy dont like this way of doing it) or something new?
Lt. Commander
# 408
07-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
so any word on how we will access the assignments?

will it be a tab in the avalible mission, something inside the ship, links on the side like accepted diplomat missions or partialy completed explor missions (realy dont like this way of doing it) or something new?
Been previously stated that you would be able to access it from your ship and/or special consoles on the ground (at starbases/homeworld) but they're also working on giving more options, possible in-mission. It's another reason why it's being delayed.

Relax, be patient...it's gonna be AWESOME
Lt. Commander
# 409
07-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixSS View Post
Been previously stated that you would be able to access it from your ship and/or special consoles on the ground (at starbases/homeworld) but they're also working on giving more options, possible in-mission. It's another reason why it's being delayed.

Relax, be patient...it's gonna be AWESOME
if it's another thing in my ready room i'm gonna have to swap interiors, i love the tos one but having to go to the crew decks far corner and back to replay missions is already taking it a bit far, if i have to do it every few hours for the DOffs it would just make me hate doing the assignments.

BTW i know it's going to be awesome, and as for being patient i was just asking a question, it's what this thread is for
Lt. Commander
# 410
07-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
if it's another thing in my ready room i'm gonna have to swap interiors, i love the tos one but having to go to the crew decks far corner and back to replay missions is already taking it a bit far, if i have to do it every few hours for the DOffs it would just make me hate doing the assignments.

BTW i know it's going to be awesome, and as for being patient i was just asking a question, it's what this thread is for
I agree, we all need to be patient on this, but asking when is a fair question, last time I asked I understand that they were not willing/able to give us an ETA on when. But that was a week or so ago, maybe things have changed?