Lt. Commander
# 441
07-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body_Surfer
You could just give the feds a mission to steal them back
I think that's a good idea, just build the dialogue in that the Klingons wiped the record of the schematics when they hacked in. I know if it was something useful that's what my Zhang would do
Lt. Commander
# 442
07-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
His most recent post on that was clarifying the Ask Cryptic, I'd had the same question you're asking.

He also clarified it a bit more clearly (if clear can really apply when there's two paragraphs of maybes on each side) in another thread here.

Basically, what people are hearing from "universal slot" and what's being said are different things.
Right, I'd read that. Are those talking about the same thing? Possibly I'm even more confused than I thought I was. Maybe it's a question of terminology.
Lt. Commander
# 443
07-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frak View Post
Right, I'd read that. Are those talking about the same thing? Possibly I'm even more confused than I thought I was. Maybe it's a question of terminology.
They're talking about the same thing, and yeah, it's confusion on terminology. From his posts before and after the Ask Cryptic, the first officer is described more as a universal department head slot, not a universal boff slot like a Bird of Prey has. The Ask Cryptic just said "universal," with no mention of what kind of slot it is or what the officer does in it.
Lt. Commander
# 444
07-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
They're talking about the same thing, and yeah, it's confusion on terminology. From his posts before and after the Ask Cryptic, the first officer is described more as a universal department head slot, not a universal boff slot like a Bird of Prey has. The Ask Cryptic just said "universal," with no mention of what kind of slot it is or what the officer does in it.
i gather it's one active power (not a normal BO power) and 3 passives for XO
Lt. Commander
# 445
07-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
I was not ware that the Klingons kept slaves.
That's something that kinda rankles me as well. We only see two examples of Klingons doing anything like this. Rura Penthe is where condemned criminals are forced to work in harsh conditions. The other time is in the Mirror Universe...Which kinda implies it isn't how it is in the real Universe.

The whole Slavery and Forced labor just doesn't seem like it fits Klingons. IT seems to me to fit Other races such as the Dominion and Cardassians.
Lt. Commander
# 446
07-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
That's something that kinda rankles me as well. We only see two examples of Klingons doing anything like this. Rura Penthe is where condemned criminals are forced to work in harsh conditions. The other time is in the Mirror Universe...Which kinda implies it isn't how it is in the real Universe.

The whole Slavery and Forced labor just doesn't seem like it fits Klingons. IT seems to me to fit Other races such as the Dominion and Cardassians.
there was an epp of enterprise where the klingons were stealing from dilithium miners on a regular basis which seemed like a form of open slavery, where they were under no supervision 99% of the time but knew they'd die if they didnt do what they were told, this seems like the klingon form of slavery.
Lt. Commander
# 447
07-06-2011, 02:27 PM
the orions are into slavery, i think but dont quote me on it that the nausicans are into slavery check, the klingons are into putting whole colonys into surbitude, check. all of them are known for bounty hunting in one form or another check.

would it be fun, check.
Lt. Commander
# 448
07-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Just finished listening to Heretic's interview on Priority One, lots of good info on the Doff System. You can find it's link on the STO homepage.
Lt. Commander
# 449
07-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post

Its not so much the forced labor that bothers me as it is the "slave/slavery" terminology. While not part of hard canon, the soft canon books use the term jeghpu'wI' which means "conquered people" and they are depicted as forced to do certain tasks, but not treated as a commodity like a slave would be. They are not personal property as slavery implies, but rather the Empire's bureaucracy determines what role they will play in society. While the difference might seem semantic, it really isn't. Slavery in most of the world (outside of what has been termed slavery in Africa, which was much more like Celtic or Roman hostage taking), is associated with private property, the nature of the jeghpu'wI' appears to be much more like forced labor camps from the 19th and 20th century but with better treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
there was an epp of enterprise where the klingons were stealing from dilithium miners on a regular basis which seemed like a form of open slavery, where they were under no supervision 99% of the time but knew they'd die if they didnt do what they were told, this seems like the klingon form of slavery.
The problem with using Ent as an example is that Ent went out of its way to say the Empire had lost its way, this was to help pave the way for the less honorable Klingons we see in ToS era. Post TNG Klingons have returned some what to the "glory days" of the Empire.
Lt. Commander
# 450
07-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Since the KDF side is supposed to be able to go to the Sirius Secter Block...I think it would be a cool DOff Mission if my Klingon DOffs could go to Jupiter Station in the Sol System and raid the facility for "Top Secret Files." I know you said that the KDF would get to go to Memory Alpha, but with a new system like the Duty Officer System it would be nice to think my DOff's are going some where new as well, even if I cant yet