Lt. Commander
# 451 Omg!!!!!!!
07-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Hi all.

OMG, this is a bit (quite a bit???) complicated, but I believe I can figure it out. TYVM for all the info. I personally can not wait for it to happen. I know that I WILL firure it out.

God Bless all, BFN, LLAP, Ambassador, Fleet Admiral Talulir.......
Lt. Commander
# 452
07-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Its not so much the forced labor that bothers me as it is the "slave/slavery" terminology. While not part of hard canon, the soft canon books use the term jeghpu'wI' which means "conquered people" and they are depicted as forced to do certain tasks, but not treated as a commodity like a slave would be. They are not personal property as slavery implies, but rather the Empire's bureaucracy determines what role they will play in society. While the difference might seem semantic, it really isn't. Slavery in most of the world (outside of what has been termed slavery in Africa, which was much more like Celtic or Roman hostage taking), is associated with private property, the nature of the jeghpu'wI' appears to be much more like forced labor camps from the 19th and 20th century but with better treatment.
While researching Klingon language for our Gates of Stovokor podcast, came across this word which translates to slave; toy'wI''a'.

Your previous quote is true, the jeghpu'wi are conquered people that serve the empire. At the moment, Gorn qualify along this lines, as do the Nausicaans. The Orions chose to 'surrender' or ally themselves (that part I'm murky on) in order NOT to goto war with the KDF, that's where that little tidbit in the loading screens about the Orion Queen gifting 4000 slave girls to the Great Houses as a 'thank you'

The caveat to what I just stated however is that while jeghpu'wi are considered 'more' than slaves, but 'less' than citizens is then why would we give them command of our ships? Again...little murky, but the terminology is there.

jeghpu'wi - conquered people -- more than slaves, less than citizens. The status given to natives of worlds conquered by the Klingon Empire

toy'wI''a' - slave

I got them from this website: http://mughom.wizage.net/

What's neat is that if you click on some of the words, there's a short video sometimes with the actor who played Gowron (in character) demonstrating the language.
Lt. Commander
# 453
07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
I think that what we are all not looking at here is that this is a different time for both the KDF and The FED, The KDF has added new factions to their Empire and as such may have had to give a little to those factions/ allies customs, or they allow those allies/factions to operate a high form of economic trade such as slavery. As far as the FEDs they are in a very terrible position at the moment with conflict on all sides of her boarders, its clear that the FED is going to let go some moral values in order to win. For example breaking the treaty with the Romulans that states they will not develop cloaking tech. I have said it once I'll say it again in times like this the Federation would more then likely move to that step. Perhaps the duty officer system could incorporate this in some way.
Lt. Commander
# 454
07-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
there was an epp of enterprise where the klingons were stealing from dilithium miners on a regular basis which seemed like a form of open slavery, where they were under no supervision 99% of the time but knew they'd die if they didnt do what they were told, this seems like the klingon form of slavery.
I suppose I do remember that episode. It wasn't a bad episode in fact. Although they plot seemed to come from a Bugs life or Blazing Saddles I suppose what rankles me the most about it is that it isn't really the Klingons main thin. I'm interested to see how it is handled. As other posters have said it makes sense for the Orions and I think it might make sense for the Nauscicans.

To me Slavery and forced labor is a minor thing if it is a thing at all. IT feels like those concepts would better belong to another faction. I would feel the same way if we were doing alot of covert ops and in depth subterfuge missions as part of our faction specific Doff category. I would think it belongs more to the Romulan faction.

I just need to see how it all plays out. Put it on Tribble already!
Lt. Commander
# 455
07-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I would like it if every day or week one Commendation category gets their info released on titles and rewards. Starting with Diplomacy, then Marauding, then go down the list. Only reason why Diplomacy is first is because there are already people that have maxed out Diplomacy and should require less information.
Lt. Commander
# 456
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Do we have to be a certain level to get the DOffs, or do we start from an NPC, or do we pick them up like an item?
Lt. Commander
# 457
07-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
Do we have to be a certain level to get the DOffs, or do we start from an NPC, or do we pick them up like an item?
The duty officer system is currently planned to open up at Lieutenant Commander,

When you hit Lieutenant Commander, there will be a starting mission that will get you a starting set of duty officers. The current plan is when the system goes live, it will give you a set based on your current rank, assuming you are higher than Lieutenant.

Additional duty officers are currently planned to be acquireable through assignments, earning tiers in commendation categories (which is primarily done by running assignments of particular types), or the C-Store.

Duty officers will not appear in your regular inventory, but in a special "Reserve Roster" that you will pull from to put into your active rosters or to send on assignments.
Lt. Commander
# 458
07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Any update when we will see this on tribble?
Lt. Commander
# 459
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The duty officer system is currently planned to open up at Lieutenant Commander,

When you hit Lieutenant Commander, there will be a starting mission that will get you a starting set of duty officers. The current plan is when the system goes live, it will give you a set based on your current rank, assuming you are higher than Lieutenant.

Additional duty officers are currently planned to be acquireable through assignments, earning tiers in commendation categories (which is primarily done by running assignments of particular types), or the C-Store.

Duty officers will not appear in your regular inventory, but in a special "Reserve Roster" that you will pull from to put into your active rosters or to send on assignments.
out of curiosity will this mission be simply report to Mr/s X to be assigned officers OR a mission where you are tought the basics of the system
Lt. Commander
# 460
07-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic

Thanks for the info Heretic Now I have a reason to play my alts before this goes live!