Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 481
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
That's not what I mean. I mean using a DOff to train a BOff in a BOff skill. As in, you "train" the DOff in Phaser Turret III then trade or sell him to another player, then that player can use the DOff to train one of his Engineering BOffs in Phaser Turret III. Basically, the DOff becomes a BOff skill training token.


Z
Not how Doffs work. Only skills they have are passive skills. A Boff can learn a Doff skill, but a Doff can't learn a Boff skill. Read the first page of this thread for information about Doffs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 482
07-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Not how Doffs work. Only skills they have are passive skills. A Boff can learn a Doff skill, but a Doff can't learn a Boff skill. Read the first page of this thread for information about Doffs.
Dude, I'm asking if that can be done. I know how the system is supposed to work. How about letting Heretic answer.


Z
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 483
07-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Dude, I'm asking if that can be done. I know how the system is supposed to work. How about letting Heretic answer.


Z
The interface hasn't been seen outside of ThomasTheCrypticCat's two mock-ups


Isn't the big hurdle getting all the database information hooked into the interface properly?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 484
07-09-2011, 10:44 PM
What is the "roster screen"?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 485
07-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The interface hasn't been seen outside of ThomasTheCrypticCat's two mock-ups


Isn't the big hurdle getting all the database information hooked into the interface properly?
Have they said that's what the limitation is? That would definitely be an issue with attaching a BOff skill to it, but it's hard to say without knowing what kind of back-end functionality they're planning on adding in. For all we know it may not be possible at launch but when they add feature X in a few months it becomes doable. Can't hurt to ask.


Z
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 486
07-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Dude, I'm asking if that can be done. I know how the system is supposed to work. How about letting Heretic answer.


Z
IMO it is absolutely pointless for Doffs to be used as Boff active skill Trainers. Doffs are the high school graduates that don't have much of a clue what they are doing. Boffs are the workers that have been in the field for a few years and know what they are doing. A Doff can't build a phaser turret so how could they train a Boff in doing it? Besides there are easier ways to train Boffs in a certain skill through the exchange or lending your Boff to another Captain to train. I would rather see a universal skill trainer so we don't have to pay millions for 1 skill.

As far as if it can be done, then it is possible. It is also possible for orcs and elves to be added to this game. Will Heretic add active skills to Doffs? It all depends on if we can make Doffs into Boffs. Maybe in the future, we can train the basics of certain skills to Doffs so that when they become Boffs, they can be trained in those skills. This is the only way I can see Doffs having Boff skills. As to whether we will see it when the Duty Officer or Department Head system goes live, I am extremely doubtful of seeing this. There is no point in training Doffs in skills that they can't use.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 487
07-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
IMO it is absolutely pointless for Doffs to be used as Boff active skill Trainers. Doffs are the high school graduates that don't have much of a clue what they are doing. Boffs are the workers that have been in the field for a few years and know what they are doing.
And yet, DOff's will train our BOff department heads to be the First Officer. Not so clueless as we were led to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
As far as if it can be done, then it is possible.
Um, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Will Heretic add active skills to Doffs? It all depends on if we can make Doffs into Boffs.
Actually, it doesn't. It depends on whether they can get a mechanism attached to a DOff database-side that calls the BOff skill training in question and put in a transferable form. I imagine the hard part would be working it out on the receiving player's side so that he wouldn't have to pay merit/honor to train his BOff (since that was already paid by the training player).

To my knowledge, the point of this thread is to ask questions about the Duty Officer system, find out what it can and can't do, and give feedback to Heretic. Sorry you don't find this idea a good one. Fortunately, you're not designing the Duty Officer system.


Z
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 488
07-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Actually, it doesn't. It depends on whether they can get a mechanism attached to a DOff database-side that calls the BOff skill training in question and put in a transferable form. I imagine the hard part would be working it out on the receiving player's side so that he wouldn't have to pay merit/honor to train his BOff (since that was already paid by the training player).

To my knowledge, the point of this thread is to ask questions about the Duty Officer system, find out what it can and can't do, and give feedback to Heretic. Sorry you don't find this idea a good one. Fortunately, you're not designing the Duty Officer system.


Z
There has to be an RP reason why a Doff can train a Boff in a Boff skill. I gave a plausible reason why a Doff can't do it. After all, you don't ask an intern to do brain surgery. The problem I have is that there are already systems in place that do what you want and they could add systems that take care of this problem like trading Boffs that you have already commissioned or buying Bridge Officers of different rarity.

I just don't see the point of adding Boff skills to Doffs when they can't use them. If I want Phaser Turret 3 on my Boffs, then I can train my Boffs. If I want a science skill, then I can give my Science Boff to a Science Captain or buy a Science Boff off of the exchange. What you are asking for seems redundant and would seem easier to do by just spending merits on my Boff to learn a specific skill. Why train a Doff so they can train a Boff when I can just train my Boff? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 489
07-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Have they said that's what the limitation is? That would definitely be an issue with attaching a BOff skill to it, but it's hard to say without knowing what kind of back-end functionality they're planning on adding in. For all we know it may not be possible at launch but when they add feature X in a few months it becomes doable. Can't hurt to ask.


Z
I take that back. Heretic said he wasn't at liberty to list the specific hurdles in the Priority One interview, if I heard correctly.

However, he has said that he's one of the few people that can navigate the data for the system due to the interface not being fully developed. I'll dig up the quote, if i can find it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 490
07-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
There has to be an RP reason why a Doff can train a Boff in a Boff skill. I gave a plausible reason why a Doff can't do it. After all, you don't ask an intern to do brain surgery. The problem I have is that there are already systems in place that do what you want and they could add systems that take care of this problem like trading Boffs that you have already commissioned or buying Bridge Officers of different rarity.
The RP reason is a "specialist" comes aboard and trains your BOff. Kind of like the "special" training DOff trains our Department Heads to be the First Officer. If a DOff can train my Security Chief to be First Officer it's not a stretch to think he might be able to teach him something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
I just don't see the point of adding Boff skills to Doffs when they can't use them. If I want Phaser Turret 3 on my Boffs, then I can train my Boffs. If I want a science skill, then I can give my Science Boff to a Science Captain or buy a Science Boff off of the exchange. What you are asking for seems redundant and would seem easier to do by just spending merits on my Boff to learn a specific skill. Why train a Doff so they can train a Boff when I can just train my Boff? It just doesn't make sense to me.
The reason this would be a better way to train your BOff's is because whomever you give a BOff to for training can keep it and there's nothing you can do about it. Sure, you can report him but the GM's won't do anything because you accepted the trade (kinda the way they don't do anything if a fleet bank gets raided). Only have people you trust train your BOff's, you say? Trust isn't the problem. The process is the problem. It's a poor mechanic that only works when both parties are honest. It is blatantly abusable. Using DOffs for it would take that element away. Will it work? Don't know. That's kinda why I asked.

Also, you'd be able to train your Borg / Reman (and Breen?) BOff's in skills you can't personally train, something that can't be done now because those BOff's aren't tradable.

The thing I don't understand is your vociferous opposition to the simple possibility of this. If you don't think it's a good idea, that's cool. But why shoot it down before Heretic even answers? Again, this thread is to ask questions, to determine possibilities. So just relax and shake your head at my foolish questions. If Heretic shoots me down you can even come on and say 'See!! In your face!!', and I'll be all 'Yeah, you were right...'. But it doesn't hurt to ask.


Z
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:33 PM.