Lt. Commander
# 491
07-10-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm a little iffy on the whole "how to actually do things" side of it all. The 101 article was nice and all but ultimately useless. Even the quickstart says *nothing*.

Ok, you get a mission at Lt Commander... Where? I'm sorry but I'm level 51 on all my characters and have been since a week after the level cap was raised to 51... Who do I speak to to start this? Simply saying "Oh, well, you get a mission when you reach Lt Commander" does *not* help and it is *not* a quick start.
Lt. Commander
# 492
07-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
I'm a little iffy on the whole "how to actually do things" side of it all. The 101 article was nice and all but ultimately useless. Even the quickstart says *nothing*.

Ok, you get a mission at Lt Commander... Where? I'm sorry but I'm level 51 on all my characters and have been since a week after the level cap was raised to 51... Who do I speak to to start this? Simply saying "Oh, well, you get a mission when you reach Lt Commander" does *not* help and it is *not* a quick start.
They're still working that out (as of the 8th, anyway). I know people have asked how will we know when assignments become available since some of them change depending on where you are. Will we get an alert, will we have to keep checking, will we have to go to our ship interior? I don't think there's been a definite answer to those questions yet.

And to your earlier question about the roster screen, I'm assuming that shows our available DOff's. More screenshots of the interface would be nice (hint, hint).

Z
Lt. Commander
# 493
07-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Quote:

For a system that hasn't been released, I can only guess.

"Hail Contact X from your mission journal" will likely be the entrance toward getting your first shipment of DOFFs (and any retro-actively applied ones for those at cap).
Lt. Commander
# 494
07-10-2011, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
That's not what I mean. I mean using a DOff to train a BOff in a BOff skill. As in, you "train" the DOff in Phaser Turret III then trade or sell him to another player, then that player can use the DOff to train one of his Engineering BOffs in Phaser Turret III. Basically, the DOff becomes a BOff skill training token.
This is actually similar to some of our thoughts internally on how First Officers might be given their active ability, though we're thinking in that case it would probably be special "trainer" duty officers for whom this is their purpose in life.

Quote:
What is the "roster screen"?
Your inventory of duty officers.

Quote:

The Duty Officer 101 thread is not intended to be a practical instruction manual, but rather a preview to help explain in abstract what the system is and is not, and what kinds of things it can and can't do.

Be assured that when we get much closer to release of the system there will be considerably more detailed and directly practicable directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
For a system that hasn't been released, I can only guess.

"Hail Contact X from your mission journal" will likely be the entrance toward getting your first shipment of DOFFs (and any retro-actively applied ones for those at cap).
This would actually be my guess, but I am leaving the final determination of the manner and method of the introduction of the system to He-Who-Speaks-for-Content, a.k.a. Goatshark.
Lt. Commander
# 495
07-10-2011, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
This would actually be my guess, but I am leaving the final determination of the manner and method of the introduction of the system to He-Who-Speaks-for-Content, a.k.a. Goatshark.
Goatshark?
Great, now I have a new monster to join the snakebat in my nightmares.
Lt. Commander
# 496
07-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Be assured that when we get much closer to release of the system there will be considerably more detailed and directly practicable directions.
Any indication on when that will be...

...but seriously, I'm dying for this...
Lt. Commander
# 497
07-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Quote:
The Duty Officer 101 thread is not intended to be a practical instruction manual, but rather a preview to help explain in abstract what the system is and is not, and what kinds of things it can and can't do.

Ok, so... I get this pop up saying "You can't enter the Sirius sector unless you're a Marauder. You can earn this ability by sending duty officers on assignments."

So I go looking for exactly how to go about doing that, right? And I find this thread, which is talking about content that isn't released yet... in the main discussion forum, not in Engineering Reports or on the Tribble forums or any place which would suggest it's a feature that's not implemented... I don't mean to sound preachy. I just find the whole placement of the thread confusing. Where it was posted lead me to believe it's about an active feature. The fact that it even has a "quickstart" section further lead to me coming to that conclusion.

And I was pretty freaking sure that I could get into Sirius Sector Block too because I saw fedrat players hanging out around the Qo'noS system on Holodeck.

So what gives? Can I or can't I earn the ability to enter Sirius Sector Block? If I can't, why were there Fedrats in sector space outside Qo'noS?
Lt. Commander
# 498
07-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Ok, so... I get this pop up saying "You can't enter the Sirius sector unless you're a Marauder. You can earn this ability by sending duty officers on assignments."

So I go looking for exactly how to go about doing that, right? And I find this thread, which is talking about content that isn't released yet... in the main discussion forum, not in Engineering Reports or on the Tribble forums or any place which would suggest it's a feature that's not implemented... I don't mean to sound preachy. I just find the whole placement of the thread confusing. Where it was posted lead me to believe it's about an active feature. The fact that it even has a "quickstart" section further lead to me coming to that conclusion.

And I was pretty freaking sure that I could get into Sirius Sector Block too because I saw fedrat players hanging out around the Qo'noS system on Holodeck.

So what gives? Can I or can't I earn the ability to enter Sirius Sector Block? If I can't, why were there Fedrats in sector space outside Qo'noS?
You see Feds around Qo'noS because they are using diplomatic immunity, which is tied to diplomacy. Diplomacy has been in the game for some time. The marauder system will go live with the DOff system. Once the marauder system is live, you can earn the ability to go to Sirius.

Also, the guide does say it is a preview and that it has not gone to live in the opening paragraphs.
Lt. Commander
# 499
07-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinosOne
You see Feds around Qo'noS because they are using diplomatic immunity, which is tied to diplomacy. Diplomacy has been in the game for some time. The marauder system will go live with the DOff system. Once the marauder system is live, you can earn the ability to go to Sirius.

Also, the guide does say it is a preview and that it has not gone to live in the opening paragraphs.
I was not aware that it was possible for Federation chars to enter KDF space and I thought KDF could not enter Alpha Centauri except to work certain missions. There is so much about the game that I don't know even after playing since the start.
Lt. Commander
# 500
07-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollywog View Post
I was not aware that it was possible for Federation chars to enter KDF space and I thought KDF could not enter Alpha Centauri except to work certain missions. There is so much about the game that I don't know even after playing since the start.
I think the Feds just got access to KDF space with Season 4. It's a brand new thing. Most of the Feds that visited just looked around and left. A few were impolite guests that spent a great deal of time mocking the state of Klingon gameplay and KDF players. Others just came in chatted.