Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 501
07-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Well since the DOff System wasnt released with the Season 4 launch, I'd rather wait for it to be released with Starfleet Academy's release. I'm getting tired of seeing "Hail Contact X's." We need to see some new scenery with this system, and I think Starfleet Academy is the perfect platform for it. I wouldnt mind going all the way to Starfleet Acedemy to refill my DOff Roster everytime because if feels like thats the way it should be anyway.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 502
07-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
This is actually similar to some of our thoughts internally on how First Officers might be given their active ability, though we're thinking in that case it would probably be special "trainer" duty officers for whom this is their purpose in life.
If you're going to make special Trainer Doffs, then you absolutely have an opportunity to solve another longstanding problem with the Boff system::

You can't have another captain train your Boff in SKILL X without risking them ripping you off, or more importantly, you can't have untrade-able BOs trained by them at all, making them inherently inferior.

Having an "immersive" way to actually solve this would be doubly awesome
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 503
07-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
If you're going to make special Trainer Doffs, then you absolutely have an opportunity to solve another longstanding problem with the Boff system::

You can't have another captain train your Boff in SKILL X without risking them ripping you off, or more importantly, you can't have untrade-able BOs trained by them at all, making them inherently inferior.

Having an "immersive" way to actually solve this would be doubly awesome
This sounds familiar. Oh yeah, pages 48 & 49.

Good idea.


Z
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 504
07-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey Heretic!

Can you hint at any non-playable alien races that can be acquired via the duty system?

Anything crazy like Selay or antican or maybe even Sheliak?

Oh or Xindi!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 505
07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
Ok, so... I get this pop up saying "You can't enter the Sirius sector unless you're a Marauder. You can earn this ability by sending duty officers on assignments."

So I go looking for exactly how to go about doing that, right? And I find this thread, which is talking about content that isn't released yet... in the main discussion forum, not in Engineering Reports or on the Tribble forums or any place which would suggest it's a feature that's not implemented... I don't mean to sound preachy. I just find the whole placement of the thread confusing. Where it was posted lead me to believe it's about an active feature. The fact that it even has a "quickstart" section further lead to me coming to that conclusion.

And I was pretty freaking sure that I could get into Sirius Sector Block too because I saw fedrat players hanging out around the Qo'noS system on Holodeck.

So what gives? Can I or can't I earn the ability to enter Sirius Sector Block? If I can't, why were there Fedrats in sector space outside Qo'noS?
Okay, now I understand the confusion. What you are seeing is the result of an unfortunate side effect of content to systems dependencies between various of the sector requirements and the not-yet-live assignment system.

I will talk to Goatshark and look into seeing about modifying the notification when you try to enter Sirius to explain that the feature isn't live yet. I do apologize for the confusion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamandus View Post
Can you hint at any non-playable alien races that can be acquired via the duty system?

Anything crazy like Selay or antican or maybe even Sheliak?
There's a list waiting on mhighison's TBD list. We're going to see how far down he can make it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 506
07-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
If you're going to make special Trainer Doffs, then you absolutely have an opportunity to solve another longstanding problem with the Boff system::

You can't have another captain train your Boff in SKILL X without risking them ripping you off, or more importantly, you can't have untrade-able BOs trained by them at all, making them inherently inferior.

Having an "immersive" way to actually solve this would be doubly awesome
Being able to reset your Boffs to the reserve roster is IMO a more reasonable way to do it than using special trainer Doffs. I train a common engineering Boff in Phaser Turret 3 and reset him so he is no longer on my active list, but on my reserve list. I give my Boff to a friend and he can use that Boff to train another Boff in Phaser Turret 3 that my friend doesn't want to lose. Also it has the added benefit of putting Boffs that are valuable, but you grow tired of onto the Exchange. There are easier ways to train Boffs in regular skills than use Duty Officers IMO.

Special Trainer Doffs seems to be more closely associated with the Department Head and First Officer system so it is more likely that these Special Trainer Doffs would have abilities that we use to train them in First Officer skills rather than regular Boff skills. For example one special trainer doff could teach a potential First Officer the Public Relations skill since the First Officer is usually the liaison between the Captain and Crew.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 507
07-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamandus View Post
Can you hint at any non-playable alien races that can be acquired via the duty system?
I'm thinking something a bit more regularly seen in series/films.

Maybe El-Aurian like Guinan and Soran.
They would have to be very rare though given the race's background.

Just a guess though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 508
07-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanZen View Post
Well since the DOff System wasnt released with the Season 4 launch, I'd rather wait for it to be released with Starfleet Academy's release. I'm getting tired of seeing "Hail Contact X's." We need to see some new scenery with this system, and I think Starfleet Academy is the perfect platform for it. I wouldnt mind going all the way to Starfleet Acedemy to refill my DOff Roster everytime because if feels like thats the way it should be anyway.
The DOff system won't be live for at least two months. I'd venture that Featured Episode Series 4 will be about the same time given that Stahl is playtesting an unfinished first episode and the new goal is to complete a series before releasing the first part, to facilitate rapid back-to-back series. (So that by the time they're working on the next part, we see the first series.)

For 2-3 months, the only content I'm aware of are the Borg Invasion and STF revamps.

While new tutorials are stated as being lower priority than the Featured Episodes... I think there will be a strong temptation to release Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy as social maps well before FE Series 4 or the DOff system. In fact, with cadet uniforms hitting the C-Store in less than two weeks, I strongly suspect there will be a push to release Academies as social maps and Foundry hookups on the day the uniforms hit the C-Store because, from a marketing PoV, people exploring a new social map are more likely to take the plunge and buy the uniforms.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 509
07-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
This sounds familiar. Oh yeah, pages 48 & 49.

Good idea.


Z
Heh yeah, I was restating it to be clear - they shouldn't JUST do it for 1st officers, but for training in general
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 510
07-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
The DOff system won't be live for at least two months. I'd venture that Featured Episode Series 4 will be about the same time given that Stahl is playtesting an unfinished first episode and the new goal is to complete a series before releasing the first part, to facilitate rapid back-to-back series. (So that by the time they're working on the next part, we see the first series.)

For 2-3 months, the only content I'm aware of are the Borg Invasion and STF revamps.

While new tutorials are stated as being lower priority than the Featured Episodes... I think there will be a strong temptation to release Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy as social maps well before FE Series 4 or the DOff system. In fact, with cadet uniforms hitting the C-Store in less than two weeks, I strongly suspect there will be a push to release Academies as social maps and Foundry hookups on the day the uniforms hit the C-Store because, from a marketing PoV, people exploring a new social map are more likely to take the plunge and buy the uniforms.
While I do agree with much that your saying...in 2 or 3 months Season 5 will also be released...I do recall them saying around October. The level cap too is supposed to get increased during that time. If what you are suggesting is true then Season 5 will have Level Cap increase, STF The Hive, More End Game Content, Enterprise-F, and both Starfleet Academys. Season 5 will be the largest content released we've ever seen. I think more than half of that will happen before S5.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10 PM.