Lt. Commander
# 561
07-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Hey guys. I was looking though my Trading Card collection while listening to the Priority One Podcast Summit and heard them talking about how the BOFF/DOFF system sounds like a card game.

It got me thinking, has anybody suggested having some officers being 'Quest Cards'?

Basically, you get an officer dossier given to you using the colour Yellow on the name and race an all that. They work like a normal officer and can provide the same buffs and skills other officers do, but they have a mission attatched to them. For example, a Klingon officer may have a mission to help redeem his honor or a Vulcan may have a mission involving Pon Farr or some other aspect of Vulcan Culture. Something tied around diplomacy and the character you are having aboard your ship, rather than it be a combat mission. You start the mission by approaching them on the bridge of your ship and once you complete the mission, you get diplomatic points. At that stage, the crew member can decide to leave the ship and you get a new officer in or you can keep them and their rarity reverts to whatever it was going to be, for example if it's a Epic level card, they return to that colour and rarity.

You could also put in a KDF version of these mission when thier non-diplomacy system comes in (which I hope will be rasing the prestige of their respective house, but that's another topic) where your crew makes a challenge for your command or maybe tries to plan a mutiny, something a bit more hot blooded and conflict based, but internally, rather than a standard faire mission.

Really, while I agree we shouldn't be able to edit the names of all the crew we have and their looks (seen as though Picard never got to change Geordie La Forge's name to Shades McEngines), there needs to be some kind of character behind some of these guys that we can relate to. I don't want it doing to all of them, that would be OTT, but I would think a nice smattering of quests built into these guys so we can get a sense of who it is that is in our ship without having to make believe too much.
Lt. Commander
# 562
07-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
I was under the impression that there was some talk about getting rid of "sectors" and making the map one giant "zone" This would be that there would have to be some alteration to how clusters work right now.
From what I understood that's basically getting rid of the zone walls. All the zones will still exist but it's seamless as far as traveling there. For instance, you could "set a course" from the Sol System to the Afehirr Nebula in Romulan Space without the "We are clear to enter the blah blah sector" prompts and loading screens.
Lt. Commander
# 563
07-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Well this sounds all good and all, I can't help but think this is nearly a time sink. You could spend hours fiddleing around with the different combos of officers, to gain maybe a little gain in combat. Truly we aren't going to see major differences. Perhaps kill that 1000th Borg cube 30 seconds faster. Perhaps I am way off the mark here, and don't intend on being a doubting Thomas, but just am not very excited about and am actually confused by it all.
Lt. Commander
# 564
07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
Well this sounds all good and all, I can't help but think this is nearly a time sink. You could spend hours fiddleing around with the different combos of officers, to gain maybe a little gain in combat. Truly we aren't going to see major differences. Perhaps kill that 1000th Borg cube 30 seconds faster. Perhaps I am way off the mark here, and don't intend on being a doubting Thomas, but just am not very excited about and am actually confused by it all.
I think that this is sort of the point, while the system is intricate it is also made so that people who just want to put it on auto pilot can. Now one can argue the value of that, but I believe it offers a layer of depth that will at least occupy most people for a little bit, then comes the Department Head system, to add more depth.
Lt. Commander
# 565
07-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The revamp of the exploration system is still something that is in fairly early discussions, so while I do not currently expect any major issues, if there do prove to be incompatibilities we'll have to address those as they come up.
If it's still early in discussions, then maybe you could take a glance at proposal I made for expanding and improving upon exploration content in STO
Lt. Commander
# 566
07-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
From what I understood that's basically getting rid of the zone walls. All the zones will still exist but it's seamless as far as traveling there. For instance, you could "set a course" from the Sol System to the Afehirr Nebula in Romulan Space without the "We are clear to enter the blah blah sector" prompts and loading screens.
I actually totally agree with your post.Whats the point of having department heads without a fully functional ship interior? What I mean by fully functional for example is,traveling to other systems by setting course but being in the interior as you travel.Missioning from your ship.All this other fluff to me is useless and a waste of R&D time,as a paying customer(month to month) I want more actual content,recognizable factions/species/specific characters,Guess thats all too much to ask for.
Lt. Commander
# 567
07-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHopeForSome View Post
Hey guys. I was looking though my Trading Card collection while listening to the Priority One Podcast Summit and heard them talking about how the BOFF/DOFF system sounds like a card game.

It got me thinking, has anybody suggested having some officers being 'Quest Cards'?

Basically, you get an officer dossier given to you using the colour Yellow on the name and race an all that. They work like a normal officer and can provide the same buffs and skills other officers do, but they have a mission attatched to them. For example, a Klingon officer may have a mission to help redeem his honor or a Vulcan may have a mission involving Pon Farr or some other aspect of Vulcan Culture. Something tied around diplomacy and the character you are having aboard your ship, rather than it be a combat mission. You start the mission by approaching them on the bridge of your ship and once you complete the mission, you get diplomatic points. At that stage, the crew member can decide to leave the ship and you get a new officer in or you can keep them and their rarity reverts to whatever it was going to be, for example if it's a Epic level card, they return to that colour and rarity.

You could also put in a KDF version of these mission when thier non-diplomacy system comes in (which I hope will be rasing the prestige of their respective house, but that's another topic) where your crew makes a challenge for your command or maybe tries to plan a mutiny, something a bit more hot blooded and conflict based, but internally, rather than a standard faire mission.

Really, while I agree we shouldn't be able to edit the names of all the crew we have and their looks (seen as though Picard never got to change Geordie La Forge's name to Shades McEngines), there needs to be some kind of character behind some of these guys that we can relate to. I don't want it doing to all of them, that would be OTT, but I would think a nice smattering of quests built into these guys so we can get a sense of who it is that is in our ship without having to make believe too much.
Now I could go for that.It would be like watching episodes of the shows that showed the backstory to the characters,would love that idea.
Lt. Commander
# 568
07-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
I think the fairest thing to say is that when STO released, it was a work in progress. A lot of the systems seemed to be either very basic or were placeholder systems. A lot of the stuff coming in Season 4 is stuff that probably should have been in the game at launch, but weren't.

Under Stahl, Season 4 has and will provide us with everything we wanted a launch. However, the frustration is that because this stuff is coming out now, people are still starved for content. It's the trade-off that had to be made really. To revamp the game the way we wanted, they had to neglect end game. It's time management. We know there will be more Feature Episodes. We know their will be more Borg goings on and the Foundry is sure to be back up and running soon.

I can understand people not being excited about this as they are now max level and this won't make much difference at the top, but it's an addition to the game that had to be made to take the game to the next level. Once Cryptic have finished putting the things into the game that we all think should have been there at launch, I am certain there will be a slew of end game content.
Lt. Commander
# 569
07-15-2011, 11:53 AM
It's a little off topic, but since the thread has strayed a bit, I'll say that we are very much aware of the content concerns as well as the concerns about things to do once you have reached cap and have robust plans for both. Unfortunately, these things take time to do, but they are very much in the pipeline.
Lt. Commander
# 570
07-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Also, new powers--not just passives.
Also, remote anomaly gathering.
Also, new methods of acquiring boffs and, potentially, gear or schematics.
Also, a use for Sick Bays should they get injured on assignment.