Lt. Commander
# 631
07-31-2011, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Whether or not one considers assignments content will, I think, depend on how you define content.

If you define content as missions where you manipulate your ship or captain, then no, the system does not provide more of what you will recognize as content.

If you define content as things you can do, that is, gameplay that provides choices and consequences, then yes, the system does provide new content.
So by the latter definition, then, adding a new cosmetic outfit to the game would qualify as "content" - it provides choices (what shall I wear?) and consequences (ooh, I look cool!).

I am talking about real content, as it is understood in every other MMO - and which is (and has been for over a year) non-existent in STO. That (along with the lack of any discernable QA) is the primary reason for this game's failure.

Pointless fluff like Duty Officers would be a good idea in a game that didn't already have a half-dozen similarly half-baked, half-finished, and half-working systems (a number of which you mention) and where we hadn't been stuck grindng the same mindless cluster missions and buggy STFs for a year and a half.
Lt. Commander
# 632
07-31-2011, 06:05 AM
To me the DOFF system sounds a lot like the Apprentice system from Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Where you would recruit people, send them on missions to earn XP, and increase their skill for harder missions.
Lt. Commander
# 633
07-31-2011, 07:52 AM
call it what you want, just please get it ready for tribble testing soon.
really can't wait for a new content package.
Lt. Commander
# 634
07-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cast2007 View Post
Will this hit Tribble Early, Mid or Late August?
"Soon"...
Lt. Commander
# 635
07-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
So by the latter definition, then, adding a new cosmetic outfit to the game would qualify as "content" - it provides choices (what shall I wear?) and consequences (ooh, I look cool!).

I am talking about real content, as it is understood in every other MMO - and which is (and has been for over a year) non-existent in STO. That (along with the lack of any discernable QA) is the primary reason for this game's failure.

Pointless fluff like Duty Officers would be a good idea in a game that didn't already have a half-dozen similarly half-baked, half-finished, and half-working systems (a number of which you mention) and where we hadn't been stuck grindng the same mindless cluster missions and buggy STFs for a year and a half.
I agree wholeheartedly with you. I honestly can't care about 'improving my character' when I have nothing to do with them. THe Doff system is not content, just as many C-Store items are not content. Give us something to do without our currently 'awesome' captains, then make it so we can 'micro manage' them.
Lt. Commander
# 636
07-31-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm really looking forward to the Doff system, and to be honest, I 'do' see it as content. It is a system in the game that player can partake in to pass the time, whilst at the same time providing benefits to your charactor. Sure, not everyone will use the system, but it 'is' content and to be honest, I really think it will add a whole deeper dimension to the game, which is fantastic.

Ofcourse I also want to see more episodes in the game, because I really love that type of content, but at the same time I realise that the system devs working on new systems in the game arn't the same devs that work on creating new maps and making missions. So it doesn't really matter if you tell them to stop making the Doff system or not, it won't really free up the developers that work on the episodic content. I certainly think that the raet new episodes have come out at has been a bit slower than I'd of liked, even more so during the summer months when alot of people have holidays and thus more free time to play. We 'do' have quite alot of content in the works and due soon from reading the engineering reports, so I'm not to concerned right now, if I read the engineering reports and saw no mention of new Borg DSE, remastered STF's with new loot and new feature episodes 'then' I'd be concerned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
I really think you're getting into sematics comparing an item of clothing to an entire gameplay system, it's quite clear that what Heretic was talking about was gameplay systems that you partake in, sure, 'everything' you do in life has choices and consequences, but its obvious Heretic wasn't talking about something as trivial as what t-shirt you wear, since that is not a game altering decision which will provide rewards (such as special powers you can use).
Lt. Commander
# 637
07-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly with you. I honestly can't care about 'improving my character' when I have nothing to do with them. THe Doff system is not content, just as many C-Store items are not content. Give us something to do without our currently 'awesome' captains, then make it so we can 'micro manage' them.
Contrary to your own cynical opinions, most of us are actually looking forward to this. Besides, you haven't even seen it yet, so you have no right to be slamming it like you are. If you don't like STO, then do us all a favor and go play something else.
Lt. Commander
# 638
07-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyyank View Post
Contrary to your own cynical opinions, most of us are actually looking forward to this. Besides, you haven't even seen it yet, so you have no right to be slamming it like you are. If you don't like STO, then do us all a favor and go play something else.
You have every right to love whatever you want, just like I have every right to talk about my OPINION. Don't like it? Get off the forums bro. I have every right to slam it, I don't need to see it - as the dev said they are being compeltely transparent. I KNOW what the sytem is going to offer, I KNOW if I'm going to like it or not. Like I said I couldn't care an inkling less about it, just like I couldn't care less about getting the next uber powerful set of awesomness - because all it does is 'improve' a character that will just be doing the same content over and over.

Quote:
I realise that the system devs working on new systems in the game arn't the same devs that work on creating new maps and making missions. So it doesn't really matter if you tell them to stop making the Doff system or not, it won't really free up the developers that work on the episodic content.
This argument is invalid on multiple fronts. The first being that creating new tech, or any new content has to be properly vetted in both QA and in STO's case by CBS. By 'clogging up the pipeline' with various things, other things have to be put on the back burner to be put through proper vetting procedures. So while they might not have the same 'development' guys working on it, there is a bottle neck in the system as a whole. So, yes, any 'content' added will push something else back.

From a QA stand point(worked in the environment for many years), we used to get an obnoxiously large backlog. I'm talking weeks to months worth of 'work' that delayed other systems by a lot as it snowballs out of control. So while you might have something that takes minimal testing, if it's a minor priority in-comparison to something quite technical, the smaller thing tends to be delayed by a long time. It's an awful system, but most companies are still using it.
Lt. Commander
# 639
07-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeLegate View Post
To me the DOFF system sounds a lot like the Apprentice system from Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Where you would recruit people, send them on missions to earn XP, and increase their skill for harder missions.
Unfortunately this is not true, Doffs will not be upgrade-able or have customization (they simply do not have the data storage capacity for this, although this might change down the line).
However in all other respects the system seems to be more robust than that of AC:B, where AC:B had really non-unique missions that rewarded money and xp (for the recruits) and the occasional unique mission which also rewarded an sell-able item, the doff system will have multiple mission types which require different types of DOFFs, and it seems will have much more varied rewards. it will probably require much more thought than the system in AC:B.
Lt. Commander
# 640
07-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
You have every right to love whatever you want, just like I have every right to talk about my OPINION. Don't like it? Get off the forums bro. I have every right to slam it, I don't need to see it - as the dev said they are being compeltely transparent. I KNOW what the sytem is going to offer, I KNOW if I'm going to like it or not. Like I said I couldn't care an inkling less about it, just like I couldn't care less about getting the next uber powerful set of awesomness - because all it does is 'improve' a character that will just be doing the same content over and over.
If you don't like it, then ignore it. I don't like pvp so I ignore it and don't post in the pvp section that the dev's time will be better served by creating mission content since MMOs have all types of people that like different things for their MMOs. Some like PvP, some like mission content, some like raids, etc. To me content is anything that wastes a significant amount of time. PvP, missions, and eventually assignments will waste a significant amount of time so they are all content. Staring at a piece of scenery is not content, but assignments and micromanagement of duty officers is content to some people.