Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 641
07-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
I really think you're getting into sematics comparing an item of clothing to an entire gameplay system, it's quite clear that what Heretic was talking about was gameplay systems that you partake in, sure, 'everything' you do in life has choices and consequences, but its obvious Heretic wasn't talking about something as trivial as what t-shirt you wear, since that is not a game altering decision which will provide rewards (such as special powers you can use).
Maybe I should have used Dabo (and its nifty holoprojector rewards!) as an example instead then? Where am I going to use these special abilities? Doing the same stuff I've managed to handle dozens or hundreds of times without them? Or making it slightly easier to grind the next set of equally useless abilities? It doesn't really sound a whole lot more game-altering than deciding which outfit to wear. Is it something to do? Sure.

Anyway, nothing personal against Heretic, but he was the one who started playing games with the language, not me.

Like I said, if the game had a healthy flow of (real) content (say 2-3 new STFs every 4-6 months, with associated fresh solo stuff), this idea (assuming it is implemented better than so many other failures to date) might be a fun little side-show in the theme park, a way to pass some time and relax before getting back on the roller-coasters.

But at the moment, half the rides are broken, and the other half aren't any fun to ride. It boggles the mind that with the utter lack of (real) content, and so many existing systems crying out to be fixed and/or completed, they are putting a huge effort into something so misguided and banal.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 642
07-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
I am talking about real content, as it is understood in every other MMO - and which is (and has been for over a year) non-existent in STO. That (along with the lack of any discernable QA) is the primary reason for this game's failure.
By your definition:

An MMO Crafting system provides no content.
A new set of skills isn't content.
A new zone in itself isn't content

I also love the term 'every other MMO' as every other MMO I've played since Meridian 59 DOES often list the above as 'content' often enough - so I think it's you who need to look at the definition of 'content in other MMOs. As for this MMOs QA, it's overall no better or worse than the QA I've experienced with other MMOs. In my experience the MMO most similar in function to this one (EVE Online) has a worse QA record.

lastly, no content (and as you define it, I assume you mean player missions in over a year? You may want to actually look or the past year's patch notes, or other areas of the STO main s=ite before making such a claim because since 7/31/2010 (aka in the past year), mission wise, STO has received:

Three Featured episodes (for a total of 15 missions)

- The Breen (first episode added on 8/28/2010 - last on 9/25/2010)
- The Devidians (First episode added on 10/16/2010 - last on 11/13/2010)
- Cloaked Intentions (First episode added on 2/52011 - last on 3/2011)

With those seies also came 12 daily missions across 2 sector blocks; and the KDF got another 3 seperate 'sortie' missions exclusive to their faction.

We also got 3 remastered missions - two of which play about the same and just received new cutscenes and Voice Over; but the third - The Doomsday Device was pratically redone from scratch; had new cutscenes and VO added, and doesn't at all play like it did previously, so mI'd call that a newe mission.

The Foundry went live on December on Tribble; and live on Holodeck in March; and while the Devs don't use it to add missions. the playerbase does; and there have been a number of excellent missions added to the game as a result. (And yes, the QA team missed a large issue that caused data corruption; but if last Friday is any indication; after 3 weeks, they've resolved the issue, restore 60% of existing missions to their previous working state; and will complete the process this coming Monday.)

'm not going to provide a litany of all the other visible non-mission updates and improvements the game has received in the past year, since the above list was specifically aimed to show that even by your definition of 'MMO content' - STO has received about 30 missions (give or take) in the last year; so your original statement in itself isn't accurate at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 643
07-31-2011, 11:13 AM
I was just thinking about this but I wonder if Duty Officer PvP is a possibility down the road. That could be especially interesting with territory control.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 644
07-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
'm not going to provide a litany of all the other visible non-mission updates and improvements the game has received in the past year, since the above list was specifically aimed to show that even by your definition of 'MMO content' - STO has received about 30 missions (give or take) in the last year;
Which is less than a *single* content update (typically released quarterly) in other games, and without *any* instanced group content (typically two or three per quarterly update in other games) with enemies who live longer than 30 seconds and present some sort of challenge. Not to mention that there was a level cap increase (which in other games is typically accompanied by a hundred or more quests, new instances, etc) with next to no content added just before the FE's started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
By your definition:

An MMO Crafting system provides no content.
A new set of skills isn't content.
A new zone in itself isn't content
Correct. In a well-designed and healthy game, all those things are important because they support the content. But they are not content themselves. What is the point of crafting a fancy new sword if there are no dragons to slay?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 645
07-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
Correct. In a well-designed and healthy game, all those things are important because they support the content. But they are not content themselves. What is the point of crafting a fancy new sword if there are no dragons to slay?
Because they are a blacksmith and their form of content is crafting weapons and armors for others at some cost. Can have some players as gatherers, some as crafters, and others as heroes. Some MMOs don't need players to have an enemy to fight. Just like how I imagine this game in a few years because of the Duty Officer system. The next step of assignments is content for diplomats, spies, marauders, doctors, etc. to do that doesn't involve sending duty officers to do it. We will have some players or characters that never fight, but help the Federation create colonies or heal injured people or any of the other commendations.

I have a character at Lt. that runs away at the first sign of trouble. She is very pleased at non-combat missions and the main reason she is at Lt. is that it is too annoying to look for non-combat explore missions. My KDF officer is only Commander since there is little Klingon content.

Duty Officers doesn't look like content to you, but to me it is the first step for alternative content that is not based on killing npcs. If anything Duty Officers will lead STO to what Star Trek is really about. Exploration for the fun of exploration and helping out not slashing opponents because they are different from you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 646
07-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
Which is less than a *single* content update (typically released quarterly) in other games, and without *any* instanced group content (typically two or three per quarterly update in other games) with enemies who live longer than 30 seconds and present some sort of challenge. Not to mention that there was a level cap increase (which in other games is typically accompanied by a hundred or more quests, new instances, etc) with next to no content added just before the FE's started.



Correct. In a well-designed and healthy game, all those things are important because they support the content. But they are not content themselves. What is the point of crafting a fancy new sword if there are no dragons to slay?
You know I seam to be picking up the tone that you just will not be happy with anything STO comes out. Maybe you should not waste your time and money, on an MMO that clearly is not meeting your needs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 647
07-31-2011, 12:20 PM
To those who are saying that the DOff system isn't content, then I beg to differ. First off, it is looking to be a major addition to the game with thousands of "duty missions" and duty officers that give you passive bonuses. It's not like a costume or ship skin or bridge or what-have-you that is purely cosmetic in nature.

Plenty of players, myself included, are really looking forward to seeing this implemented in the game. To say that it's pure fluff and unneeded invalidates what quite a few people are chomping at the bit to try out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 648
07-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiejamieelliot1987
You know I seam to be picking up the tone that you just will not be happy with anything STO comes out. Maybe you should not waste your time and money, on an MMO that clearly is not meeting your needs.
Too late. They already got the lifetime subscription so they already wasted a bunch of money. The healthy thing to do for lifers that can't get a refund and are disappointed with the game is to take a break from STO for a few weeks or months. Of course, there is always the possibility of giving their account to a friend if they are not going to play it again. Although it might require a billing ticket for it to be approved since a person could give or sell their account away and complain that their account was stolen.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 649
07-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Because they are a blacksmith and their form of content is crafting weapons and armors for others at some cost. Can have some players as gatherers, some as crafters, and others as heroes.
You're missing the point. In *this* game, we are all Starfleet or KDF officers. We are in the military. Missions are what we do. Missions don't always have to involve combat, but nobody plays a military-based MMO for the thrill of role-playing logistics and administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Some MMOs don't need players to have an enemy to fight.
Cool. But this one does. Every stat and every piece of gear is combat-oriented. Every skill your character has on the action bar, except for a few teleports, is combat-oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Just like how I imagine this game in a few years because of the Duty Officer system.
And I'm sure you and the other three people who are still logging in by then will love it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Duty Officers doesn't look like content to you, but to me it is the first step for alternative content that is not based on killing npcs. If anything Duty Officers will lead STO to what Star Trek is really about. Exploration for the fun of exploration and helping out not slashing opponents because they are different from you.
Don't get me wrong. A game like you describe might be cool. It is not the game we are talking about here though - the one where "diplomacy" consists of scanning flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiejamieelliot1987
You know I seam to be picking up the tone that you just will not be happy with anything STO comes out. Maybe you should not waste your time and money, on an MMO that clearly is not meeting your needs.
Too late for that, unfortunately. They already took my money for a product that they have yet to deliver.

And you "seam" to have completely failed to comprehend what I've written, because I said clearly what will make me happy: content (missions, STFs) delivered at the rate which is expected and necessary in an MMO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 650
07-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
You're missing the point. In *this* game, we are all Starfleet or KDF officers. We are in the military. Missions are what we do. Missions don't always have to involve combat, but nobody plays a military-based MMO for the thrill of role-playing logistics and administration.

...blahblahblahblah...
"Starfleet is not a military organization, its purpose is exploration" - Captain Picard

Please take some time to go look at what Starfleet actually is... it is NOT a military organization, even if organized like one. It's purpose is exploration, diplomacy, and, lastly, defense.

KDF on the other hand, full on military.

It's not accurate to say this is a military-based MMO. While there is a lot of fighting, and it is during a time of war, many, many people came to this game in hopes of the more exploration, diplomatic side of Star Trek. Anything that makes this game more in line with that is a major plus in my and a lot of other player's point of view.

Count me in as one of the "three" who will still be here in three years. I really like the way this game is headed, and most definitely do consider the DOff system as content (you actually seem to be in the minority on that one...)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 PM.