Lt. Commander
# 651
07-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
You're missing the point. In *this* game, we are all Starfleet or KDF officers. We are in the military. Missions are what we do. Missions don't always have to involve combat, but nobody plays a military-based MMO for the thrill of role-playing logistics and administration.

Cool. But this one does. Every stat and every piece of gear is combat-oriented. Every skill your character has on the action bar, except for a few teleports, is combat-oriented.
Anyone who watches Star Trek and believes Starfleet to be a purely military force has not been watching the same Star Trek I have. It is much easier to create missions where you kill a bunch of opponents because they are there than create missions where you have to solve problems with your intellect. Which is why I can understand why STO was set around a war. With the Diplomacy system, they finally started the path towards a combat based STO and a noncombat based STO. Which is what STO should be about. Mostly noncombat with the odd combat to defend ourselves instead of the other way around. For Klingons, it is just difficult to see a huge amount of noncombat content.

You might want to read this for upcoming content. How much of it is accurate is impossible to determine since upcoming content for an MMO always changes and Cryptic's record for releasing content in a reasonable fashion is not good.
Lt. Commander
# 652
07-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Soo... any chance of a peek at the klingon version of the interface?
Lt. Commander
# 653
07-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
Count me in as one of the "three" who will still be here in three years. I really like the way this game is headed, and most definitely do consider the DOff system as content (you actually seem to be in the minority on that one...)
Can count Laguna as one of those that will still technically be here. Every player who made the good or bad decision to buy a lifetime and didn't get a refund will still be here. Of those that are still playing is anyone's guess. Also, any MMO will die if there was only 3 people playing.

How about we quit this discussion about whether Duty Officers is content since no one can come up with an argument to change the other person's mind.
Lt. Commander
# 654
07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
Soo... any chance of a peek at the klingon version of the interface?
This in red?
Lt. Commander
# 655
07-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
This in red?
wow thats a suprising number of andorans on a klingon ship /sarcasm
Lt. Commander
# 656
07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
"Starfleet is not a military organization, its purpose is exploration" - Captain Picard

Please take some time to go look at what Starfleet actually is... it is NOT a military organization, even if organized like one. It's purpose is exploration, diplomacy, and, lastly, defense.

KDF on the other hand, full on military.

It's not accurate to say this is a military-based MMO.
You may wish otherwise, but it is, and it is.

Basically it sounds like what you are wishing for is for the game to somehow morph into a space-based version of The Sims. Like I said, a game like that might be cool. But this game ain't it. Nothing against you for wanting a warm and fuzzy version of STO. But they can't even deliver and maintain the infinitely simpler (from a development standpoint) space shooter which the more realistic among us thought we were paying for. No offense, but you are kidding yourself if you think they can turn a failed, underdeveloped combat-based game into something far more subtle and complex. Trying to do that - i.e. total loss of focus on what is actually within the realm of feasibility given available resources - will simply accelerate the game's demise. As, indeed, it already has, and continues to do.

If, on the other hand, they would stop the dissipation of effort on the slapped-together-one-off-brilliant-idea-of-the-month-which-we'll-flesh-out-later-no-really (Diplomacy, Dabo, ship interiors, Shooter Mode, UGC, and soon, it seems, DOffs) and concentrate on delivering quality content in a timely manner - the kind of content the game *as it is* can accommodate - then the game might recover and grow into something that could support (meaning: really support) alternative styles of gameplay too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
With the Diplomacy system, they finally started the path towards a combat based STO and a noncombat based STO. Which is what STO should be about.
Scanning flowers is what STO should be about?
Lt. Commander
# 657
07-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
You're missing the point. In *this* game, we are all Starfleet or KDF officers. We are in the military. Missions are what we do. Missions don't always have to involve combat, but nobody plays a military-based MMO for the thrill of role-playing logistics and administration.

Cool. But this one does. Every stat and every piece of gear is combat-oriented. Every skill your character has on the action bar, except for a few teleports, is combat-oriented.

And I'm sure you and the other three people who are still logging in by then will love it...

Don't get me wrong. A game like you describe might be cool. It is not the game we are talking about here though - the one where "diplomacy" consists of scanning flowers.

Too late for that, unfortunately. They already took my money for a product that they have yet to deliver.

And you "seam" to have completely failed to comprehend what I've written, because I said clearly what will make me happy: content (missions, STFs) delivered at the rate which is expected and necessary in an MMO.
If you keep up with ALL the info that's out there, they have pretty much said we can look forward to a steady stream of weekly missions after the launch for the Season 4 series. So the content you are asking for is coming, this dry spell that STO has given us, has been a disappointment for all of us agreed. But just wait more is to come.
Lt. Commander
# 658
07-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Another point is that Heretic is NOT a mission designer, he doesn't build missions. The duty officer system is not impacting the production of the next featured series.

Don't blame the DOff system for the delay of Featured episode series 4.
Lt. Commander
# 659
07-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Assignments are fundamentally logistical challenges, not story challenges. We're deliberately not trying to duplicate mission gameplay, but rather create something complementary. As captain you see various problems and opportunities in the form of assignments, each with a description, a set of requirements, a set of risks and a set of potential rewards. You have a limited number of resources, and a major goal can be to improve the resources you have to accomplish assignments.

As for missions focused on other commendation categories, as we roll out content the plan is to integrate the commendation xp into some number of these missions as we can.
Will there be any story elements to it? What I seek in content is this story, This is what is important to me in content. I'm not seeking a choose your own adventure type scenario but I am looking for some Flavor text in these missions that describe what is going on and the results of my actions. Not so much on the Fed side but I am yearning for stuff like that n the Klingon side. It's flavor like that that makes the world feel more alive.
Lt. Commander
# 660
07-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I was just thinking about this but I wonder if Duty Officer PvP is a possibility down the road. That could be especially interesting with territory control.
I had suggested something similar for KDF, even so far as to make a GoogleSite

Don't necro it but there's plenty of ways an idea like PvP could exist on the strategic rather than tactical level.

Pvp doesn't have to be mano-a-mano, especially as Admirals and Generals--the idea of building bases in exploration clusters and fortifying them in a 4x strategy setup would work with Duty Officers.