Lt. Commander
# 61
06-19-2011, 12:07 AM
I am not sure I like this system. That's not to say I don't appreciate the thought and/or work put into it, but there's a few major issues it brings up for me.
  • Fit into Theme: To say nothing of the excessive complexity, it sort of feels like a battle in Civilization or training in EVE where you have your stats or ship or whatever, press the button and wait to see your result. I guess because I like those games I'm not destroyed by that but I'm having a VERY hard time mapping this system to what we saw on television or in movies. While I understand all we saw were the missions and the intent is to flesh the STO world out more than that in an MMO, setting a queue and coming back to view the results doesn't feel like adventure. I guess it's an interesting game concept but kind of reinforces the idea that your crew are nameless, faceless robots. I suppose it's a step up from the current representation of them as white, orange, or black stick figures though. Feels like a mechanic for the sake of having a mechanic. I'd almost rather you expand the mini-chargen on our existing BO's.
  • Cuts Players Out: One of the other things that bugs me about this is - why would you assign these sorts of tasks that flesh out the world to nameless, faceless crew? Would there not be a value in letting players participate in these sorts of things? I find it very odd that people have been specifically asking for this sort of gameplay but somehow it was turned into what basically amounts to an egg timer. One could make the argument that it's not the most engaging or exciting gameplay in the world but this is one step down from even that.
  • More BO Dependence: As a manager of people in real life, I can see how people in a department augment the capabilities of the department head but you guys are designing yourselves into a corner by being so reliant on bridge officers to power ships in the STO space combat system. I agree that ships have abilities and while BOs can modify or amplify those abilities, butyou never saw the Defiant change science abilities when Ezri took over for Jadzia. Jadzia was a science officer and Ezri a counselor, so they'd have different strengths (i.e. Ezri would keep morale high, Jadzia would use a tractor beam more effectively.). But the idea that your ship does or doesn't even have a tractor beam installed depending on who's sitting in the chair is silly.
Lt. Commander
# 62
06-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
If hovering around Andoria/Vulcan allows access to assignments which may grant Vulcan/Andorian/Aenar Boffs and Doffs... this begs the question:

Where would be have to go to gain Boffs/Doffs from races like the Caitians, Benzites, Betazoids, Ferengi, Tellarites, and so forth? It's not like it's very clear on the map.

Tongue in cheek addition: will we be able to get Deferi Doffs?
Heh. No Deferi duty officers are currently planned, but that's actually not a bad idea.

As for locations of the not-so-obvious species, yeah, I had to spend some time with our Lore Queen to try to figure out the best options for these. Even if you don't run across it naturally in game, I suspect it will be thoroughly wiki'd by someone before it even leaves Tribble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
1. As extensive as you currently have it, with over 6000 duty officers in the system, as well as just shy of 1000 assignments, will you guys also be expanding these numbers as the game evolves? Additional combinations of officers every Seasonal update for example, more assignments on a monthly basis etc.

2. I understand Assignments are given in part by random, in part by your current rank and position in space/ground. What happens when you inevitably "run out" of Assignments to do? Once you've completed the "just shy of 1000 Assignments", what happens then? The system resets and you are randomly assigned the same assignments?

3. What level of persistence will this system entail? If I complete an assignment involving colonizing "Planet XYZ", and later decide to revisit the same planet, will the game recognize that I previously colonized that planet, and treat me accordingly?
1. Yes, we will be expanding as the game evolves. The way the system is set up it is actually remarkably fast to create new assignments compared to new missions, so it is our hope to see them shipped along with featured episodes as well as whenever we make a new content drop of any kind. In the case of duty officers, it will probably mostly be new uniques rather than new species that appear for every specialization and quality, though I wouldn't rule out the latter entirely.

2. Assignments are generally repeatable. We have tried to be as careful as we can in how we phrase them to make this not seem jarring. In other words, we don't generally phrase an assignment as, "Rescue Admiral Quinn from the Clutches of the Orion Queen's Bachorlette Party", but instead as, "Investigate Reports of Corruption on Bajor". This is, however, one of the reasons why we have been so aggressive in making new assignments, because the more there are, the less repetition a player will see save where it is useful. (Where repetition is still useful, for example, is when you see "Experimental Phaser Research" you go, "Oh, wait, I know what 'experimental' means - that means I get a random phaser if I do that assignment.")

3. For the most part, see my answer above to question #2. That being said, increased persistence is something we are investigating to see if we can squeeze in a greater degree of - I would definitely like to see more persistence as the tech and schedule allow.
Lt. Commander
# 63
06-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
I am not sure I like this system. That's not to say I don't appreciate the thought and/or work put into it, but there's a few major issues it brings up for me.
  • Cuts Players Out: One of the other things that bugs me about this is - why would you assign these sorts of tasks that flesh out the world to nameless, faceless crew? Would there not be a value in letting players participate in these sorts of things? I find it very odd that people have been specifically asking for this sort of gameplay but somehow it was turned into what basically amounts to an egg timer. One could make the argument that it's not the most engaging or exciting gameplay in the world but this is one step down from even that.
I think this is overall my primary "concern" with the system - it doesn't invovle much for the player to do.

I am not sure how "buy" it will make players, and how well they will feel immersed in the game. It still is "only" a mini-game, though at least one with enough complexity for replayability.
Lt. Commander
# 64
06-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
"Rescue Admiral Quinn from the Clutches of the Orion Queen's Bachorlette Party"
This needs to be a featured episode! Right now! :p
Lt. Commander
# 65
06-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
If hovering around Andoria/Vulcan allows access to assignments which may grant Vulcan/Andorian/Aenar Boffs and Doffs... this begs the question:

Where would be have to go to gain Boffs/Doffs from races like the Caitians, Benzites, Betazoids, Ferengi, Tellarites, and so forth? It's not like it's very clear on the map.

Tongue in cheek addition: will we be able to get Deferi Doffs?
I can say for sure that the portions of the Galaxy that contain Betazed, Ferenginar, and Tellar are not in the game. I would imagine that Caitian and Benzite space is also not withing the current areas.
Lt. Commander
# 66
06-19-2011, 12:23 AM
I have to say, this is probably a fairly unique system. I don't think I've come across anything like this in another MMO.
I'm certainly looking forward to this This can't come quick enough to Tribble!!!
*fingers crossed* you guys can sort out the technical issue holding it back!
Then we can put our grubby hands all over it
Lt. Commander
# 67
06-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy
I can say for sure that the portions of the Galaxy that contain Betazed, Ferenginar, and Tellar are not in the game. I would imagine that Caitian and Benzite space is also not withing the current areas.
We had to fudge it a bit and get as close as we could. There was less fudging with those than with the Gorn and Nausicaans, however...in a case like this, you just do the best you can and hope people don't crucify you too badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphigory View Post
*fingers crossed* you guys can sort out the technical issue holding it back!
Then we can put our grubby hands all over it
It's nothing to worry about - it's not a rocket science issue, just a matter of getting the time to schedule the necessary technical expertise for this component of the system.
Lt. Commander
# 68
06-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Drake
I'm sure the only outcome for this would be an epic disaster, as Fleet Admiral Quinn would probably court-martial you for interrupting his fun.
Lt. Commander
# 69
06-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
"Rescue Admiral Quinn from the Clutches of the Orion Queen's Bachorlette Party"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Drake
This is probably why they made me a systems designer rather than a content designer, now that I think about it...
Lt. Commander
# 70
06-19-2011, 12:34 AM
I am speechless.

Please find a way to schedule whatever technical expertise you need to get this onto Tribble.

EDIT: Sticky?