Lt. Commander
# 71
06-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Are Joined Trill amongst the available DOs for either faction? If not, how come? I think making them Very Rare would work.
Lt. Commander
# 72
06-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
We had to fudge it a bit and get as close as we could. There was less fudging with those than with the Gorn and Nausicaans, however...in a case like this, you just do the best you can and hope people don't crucify you too badly.

Just something to keep in mind as new Sector Blocks get added
Lt. Commander
# 73
06-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Love the whole DOFF concept, every time I read it. I've mentioned this before but the one thing I can see mildly annoying me is how only Humans are listed as innately common. I really think all founding races should be common. Betazoids and Bolians should be uncommon, Trill and Benzites rare, Aenar and Caitians Very Rare.
Lt. Commander
# 74
06-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Drake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
"Rescue Admiral Quinn from the Clutches of the Orion Queen's Bachorlette Party", but instead as, "Investigate Reports of Corruption on Bajor"
This needs to be a featured episode! Right now! :p
HA! I was having a stressful day, this definitely brightened it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think this is overall my primary "concern" with the system - it doesn't invovle much for the player to do.

I am not sure how "buy" it will make players, and how well they will feel immersed in the game. It still is "only" a mini-game, though at least one with enough complexity for replayability.
I think it's great... do you think Captain Picard is always on the bridge doin whatever, going on away missions despite regulations, or trying to get the girl despite his age? I guess that's why they had Bev...she was about his speed... Anyway, you are in command of a ship, one would think you have to do captain stuff like manage your crew and send them on assignments. I can't wait!

Every episodes starts with them doing some meaningless task and then some crap goes nuts or they get trapped somewhere or something else would happen that would make you want to put in for a transfer afterwards.. now we get to manage this aspect of the Trek universe.

Heretic, have you all been watching the episodes for inspiration for these missions? I remember one where a group of doff types were sent to the surface of a planet to re-enforce a shield protecting the colony/base or whatever. There was something wrong with the planet... What carried the episode was that Picard happened to meet one of the duty officers and fell in love with her, he then basically sent her to her death. Obviously you'd leave the love story out of the doff mission, but episodes like these and watching the first 5 minutes of every TNG episode will probably provide a wealth of mission types and ideas.

Only 10 missions at a time though... that seems low, but I don't know anything about the game play and how quickly missions will return once being started. Would we be able to just spend all day roaming around gathering resources and sending doffs to their deaths (evil maniacal laugh) if we didn't pick long missions or at least kept the long missions to a low number?
Lt. Commander
# 75
06-19-2011, 01:37 AM
First off... WOW... Thanks, Heretic, for takin the time to get this info out to us. Theres a lot here to go thru and process!! I know youre a busy guy!!

... which brings me to...

I know you are all doing everything you can to get this live, but dam is it irritating to hear it, like most things in this game, is getting pushed back. I'm not hatin' jes asking you and youre team to pound it out asap lol!!

I was looking forward to this more than anything with Season 4. I know most people want the Ground PvP, and its flipping awesome on Tribble and I cant wait to get a hold of it live too, but I wanna play STAR TREK and that means managing Ship crew and all that fun stuff.

Anyways.... MAKE IT SO!

But seriously, dont make us wait too long please^^
Lt. Commander
# 76
06-19-2011, 02:05 AM
This is such torture. Waiting for this awesome "minigame". More then a month on tribble ... ack !
Lt. Commander
Hi,

Could you clarify the Department Heads eating the Doff skills/passives... I my understanding is that the active roster is broken into the six departments you mentioned... Science, Medical etc. and you can slot 3 Doffs in to each department?

So when you assign a department head that Boff gets the skill and passives etc from thos three Doffs... Ok, so do those Doff disappear or for you to assign new Doff to the roster, or do the DOff stay as your Staff?
Lt. Commander
# 78
06-19-2011, 03:53 AM
I know someone on the STO Team is going to say "Not again??" when they read this... BUT!

After reading this I'm dreaming of sitting in my captain's chair... on my bridge... while traveling through sector space. A NPC walks up to me and hands me THE DUTY ROSTER which I use to start this mini game!

And the devs don't want to implement bridge travel. *sigh* Oh well... I'll keep dreaming I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 79
06-19-2011, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strorus
Hi,

Could you clarify the Department Heads eating the Doff skills/passives... I my understanding is that the active roster is broken into the six departments you mentioned... Science, Medical etc. and you can slot 3 Doffs in to each department?

So when you assign a department head that Boff gets the skill and passives etc from thos three Doffs... Ok, so do those Doff disappear or for you to assign new Doff to the roster, or do the DOff stay as your Staff?
Quote:
Department Heads and First Officers

Subsequent to the duty roster system going live we will be rolling out the next component of the system: Department Heads and your First Officer.

Bridge officers will be able to "eat" duty officers of their own branch to learn those duty officer's passive abilities. (Fictionally, think of it as the duty officers are joining that bridge officer's staff.)

With the appropriate expenditures of Merit/Honor and for bridge officers with adequate training, a player can appoint a bridge officer to head up one of six departments - Tactical, Security, Science, Medical, Engineering, Operations. Once heading up a department, those "eaten" duty officer skills will become active.

(For the record, the term "eaten" is used in this description to make sure it is clear that the duty officer goes away.)
There ya go
Lt. Commander
# 80
06-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
This has been asked several times.

Input from Devs on this issue is basically: "We wanted to do something like that, but although we realized that the first time doing it the cutscene would be neat, the times coming after would have people annoyed at the time-consuming cutscene, or they would simply skip it - and skip it everytime they send Doffs out on assignments, which would be a great many times. So, in light of this, we decided to drop that idea since it would just drive people nuts in the long run."
I can understand not wanting to see a cutscene over and over.

I had hoped they could have had a small shuttle come and go without a cutscene.. Like a Del Taco shuttle pet type thing which would fly away from your ship (and eventually return) as you travel through sector space.