Lt. Commander
# 811
08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
Saw that one, perfectly reasonable as a Klingon assignment...

But 1 DAY to complete it? All it takes is for the officer to pull out his/her disruptor, and pull the trigger. Takes less than a minute
Reward times - and everything else - are something that is subject to iteration and refinement, but realize that rewards are based on time investment. A one minute assignment - even an uncommon or rare one - might net you a skill point. Or two. Not very satisfying.

Give it more of a reward for that time, and then you have the risk of people hitting Vice Admiral and Lieutenant General in a couple of days.

We are looking for certain rhythms of gameplay that feel like you are getting a suitable reward for the time spent, give you something to do in your downtime, don't break the bank in terms of leveling a character too fast, and are sustainable - meaning people don't get bored of the system in a few days.

Getting the right balance for all of this is going to take a lot of iteration and trial and error, internally, on the various test shards, and on live. That being said, we can certainly move around assignments to be shorter/less rewarding versus longer/more rewarding if that winds up feeling closer to "right" for the nature of that assignment.

...Also, for that one, it's actually an hour, not a day. Once a BiHnuch gets into the transwarp coils, it can be a pain to root them out for execution. Then, too, there's getting the crew together so they can witness your appreciation for the value of competence on your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 812
08-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Thanks much for the screenshots Heretic. I'm looking forward to trying this out.
Lt. Commander
# 813
08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
So I assume that the casual players that play once or twice a week will get the most benefit out of the assignments that take a few days to complete? I assume that the completion times are actual time rather than time playing the game.

My pacifist character will love the Doff system when it comes out. Same with my main character, but she is not limited in gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 814
08-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Reward times - and everything else - are something that is subject to iteration and refinement, but realize that rewards are based on time investment. A one minute assignment - even an uncommon or rare one - might net you a skill point. Or two. Not very satisfying.
I hope that rewards are not strictly based on turnaround time. To use that mission as an example, I have to assume it consumes/destroys a duty officer - even if it took no time at all, there is a distinct cost involved.
Lt. Commander
# 815
08-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
So I assume that the casual players that play once or twice a week will get the most benefit out of the assignments that take a few days to complete? I assume that the completion times are actual time rather than time playing the game.

My pacifist character will love the Doff system when it comes out. Same with my main character, but she is not limited in gameplay.
Rewards do scale with time, but the amount of reward per second goes down the longer the assignment is. If you are constantly working through shorter, 15m or 1h assignments in an average game session (I assume a session of maybe two or three hours), you will get a significantly greater reward than someone who punches in a few 3 day assignments and then doesn't log in until they're complete.

Rewards also factor in expenditures including duty officers expended, risk of duty officers being injured, energy credits, commodities, and, well, tribbles too, among other things.

An assignment that has no chance of failure will also have a much lower rate of reward than one with a 50-50 chance of success or failure, or one with an abnormally high chance of a disaster result.
Lt. Commander
# 816
08-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Rewards do scale with time, but the amount of reward per second goes down the longer the assignment is. If you are constantly working through shorter, 15m or 1h assignments in an average game session (I assume a session of maybe two or three hours), you will get a significantly greater reward than someone who punches in a few 3 day assignments and then doesn't log in until they're complete.
I assumed that would be how it works. More effort should always give more rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 817
08-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Quote:

Give it more of a reward for that time, and then you have the risk of people hitting Vice Admiral and Lieutenant General in a couple of days.
Actually, an assignment like "Execute a subordinate", should be something that happens in extremely rare situations. As such, the time to completion could be as low as '5 minutes', net the player a decent sized reward (and a loss of an officer), but make the assignment super-rare, with less than 0.5% chance to be given the assignment. As such you wouldn't have people running these fast assignments with great rewards repeatedly, since they would be rare and not obtained very often.

Just an idea
Lt. Commander
# 818
08-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Actually, an assignment like "Execute a subordinate", should be something that happens in extremely rare situations. As such, the time to completion could be as low as '5 minutes', net the player a decent sized reward (and a loss of an officer), but make the assignment super-rare, with less than 0.5% chance to be given the assignment. As such you wouldn't have people running these fast assignments with great rewards repeatedly, since they would be rare and not obtained very often.

Just an idea
no....just make it an assignment available for every DOff, but no reward

its a klingon thing to do
Lt. Commander
# 819
08-15-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm not too worried about the time it takes to complete as it looks like there's a nice variety of long/medium/short missions to do.
Right now on the Klingon side I have a Eng Commander that needs leveling. I can see it as a nice way to break up missions. Spend an hour or two seting up DOFF missions and putting the pieces in place, start the missions, go do some fleet admin, go kick the Romulans out, come back check on duty officer assignments, make some changes, look for good DO's to aquire, by which time a new batch of short missions will be ready and a batch completed. Go do a FE and so on.
I really don't think it'll matter if it take 6 hours or a day to complete a mission as there will be plenty to do around the system.
Lt. Commander
# 820
08-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Quote:

Just an idea
I think that certain assignments, like this "Execute for incompetence" mission, should probably have a cooldown, similar to how the exploration star cluster Aid the Planet missions run, where once you get one you don't get another for X length of time.

If you're executing crew for incompetence it *should* set some sort of example, so you shouldn't have back-to-back executions... unless maybe you're having relay races to see how far your loyal crew can run around the ship with the executee's entrails before they die...