Lt. Commander
# 941
08-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Yes. All commendation categories have an associated xp type.

The number of duty officers on an assignment depends on the particular assignment; the number ranges from none to five. To run an assignment, you always put on exactly as many duty officers as it requires; never less. The number does affect the rewards, but it doesn't correlate to level or commendation type, at least not strictly - some commendation categories such as Military tend to require higher numbers of duty officers, while others such as Recruitment tend to require very lower (or no) numbers of duty officers, but this is a tendency rather than a rule.

There are definitely both chefs and counselors. I don't think there are any Talaxian duty officers. Yet.

Outstanding work on this Heretic. I hope to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor soon. But there is a concern I have. Since this resembles card games to an extent like "Magic the Gathering", Cryptic won't be tempted to post for sale "Alpha Strike sets" that ruin an otherwise level playing field, right? If you can't answer, I understand.
Lt. Commander
# 942 Correct me if I am wrong
08-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Quote:
The number of duty officers on an assignment depends on the particular assignment; the number ranges from none to five. To run an assignment, you always put on exactly as many duty officers as it requires; never less.
Correct me if I am wrong here but does this mean that you can put more officers than a mission requires? So if a duty officer mission requires 5 DOffs to run the assignment, can you put 6 or more on it?

On a personal note, I know others have said this in the thread but I believe I have not.

Thank you for all of your hard work. I really do appriciate it.
Lt. Commander
# 943
08-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
Outstanding work on this Heretic. I hope to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor soon. But there is a concern I have. Since this resembles card games to an extent like "Magic the Gathering", Cryptic won't be tempted to post for sale "Alpha Strike sets" that ruin an otherwise level playing field, right? If you can't answer, I understand.
From what I believe there will be DOFF packs in the C store but it'll be random packs of seven like a booster pack from Magic.

Quote:

The standard C-Store pack has been revised several times and will probably be revised several more times before it even goes to Tribble. Currently, it consists of four guaranteed Commons, two Uncommons or better and one Rare or better. Note that rarity does not necessarily imply quality, although there is a loose correlation; some rare species are rare regardless of that particular duty officer's quality.
Lt. Commander
# 944
08-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMiracle
Correct me if I am wrong here but does this mean that you can put more officers than a mission requires? So if a duty officer mission requires 5 DOffs to run the assignment, can you put 6 or more on it?
Every assignment has a number of inputs and a number of modifiers. Inputs are things like numerics, commodities, duty officers, etc. Inputs are requirements and must be fulfilled exactly. Modifiers are things like duty officer quality, duty officer traits, assignment outcome probabilities, etc.

Unfortunately for what you are suggesting, the number of duty officers is an input rather than a modifier; the traits and quality on each duty officer are modifiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
Could you give a few select examples of:

Type of assignment, duration, mission rewards

Obviously I don't expect a long list of hundreds/thousands of assignments. A small amount of assignments (say 5-10 of them) would be interesting, just to get an idea of what sort of rewards we might be able to look forward t o.
I am at home currently so don't have it in front of me. The numbers are under constant revision, and will probably remain all the way up until the system goes live, and likely after as well. For a 15m assignment right now you might get a dozen skill points, or on a critical success 120 or so skill points. For an assignment that takes three days, you might get several hundred skill points on a success, or several thousand for a critical success.

Critical successes are very hard to get - usually one in ten at best. Rarer assignments reward more as well. This means if you come across a long rare assignment, you would be well advised to put your best duty officers on it, because that critical success will be well-worth it.

Other types of assignments include espionage assignments to get Breen deployable turret prototypes, marauding assignments for raids on Federation or neutral colonies for commodities, prisoners, Honor. Recruitment assignments can reward duty officers or bridge officers. Military assignments also frequently give you prisoners, while diplomacy and marauding use prisoners as inputs. Engineering assignments (among other types of assignments) can give you space skill buffs and create random items of all qualities (yep, on a critical success you can use these to make purple quality items, although that's not easy.)

Many assignments simply give numerics - skill points, bridge officer points, Merit/Honor, energy credits, commendation points, etc.

Commodities are widely used as inputs, and an assignment that requires commodities will reward much more generously for your trouble. Some commendation categories use commodities or reward commodities more aggressively than others. For example, colonial assignments require lots of commodities, but also provide some duty officers with unique trait distributions that you cannot otherwise get.

Another thing that is important to remember is that while assignments appear randomly, the type of assignment that appears is not random. Colonial assignments almost always appear in star clusters, most military assignments appear on the border areas between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, recruitment assignments appear in those sectors where those species are most common, Klingon House intrigue generally happens most around Qo'noS, and so on. Commendation categories are different and not equal, and figuring out what you want to get out of the system and how best to do it should keep wiki writers busy for at least a week or two.
Lt. Commander
# 945
08-21-2011, 11:56 AM
any indication where the interface for this system will be available, yet?
Lt. Commander
# 946
08-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Sorry if this has been covered, but are non-numeric rewards (e.g., duty officers, bridge officers, equipment) bind on pickup or equip? If I manage to recruit a Thermian or Dalmation or Termite officer that I can't use, it'd be nice to send him or her off to a fleetmate or put them on the exchange or something.
Lt. Commander
# 947
08-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
any indication where the interface for this system will be available, yet?
Still hammering that out, but likely on the part of the HUD in the upper-right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJabroni View Post
Sorry if this has been covered, but are non-numeric rewards (e.g., duty officers, bridge officers, equipment) bind on pickup or equip? If I manage to recruit a Thermian or Dalmation or Termite officer that I can't use, it'd be nice to send him or her off to a fleetmate or put them on the exchange or something.
It will vary. Rewards that are due to commendation tiering up will probably be bind on pickup. Rewards that are from repeatable assignments will probably by tradeable.
Lt. Commander
# 948
08-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Still hammering that out, but likely on the part of the HUD in the upper-right.

so, it will be available everywhere?
Lt. Commander
# 949
08-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
so, it will be available everywhere?
All sector maps, most social maps (including most social ground maps), and star clusters. There may also be special assignments available in missions as well.
Lt. Commander
# 950
08-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Interesting. So I assume that there will be unique DS9, unique Vulcan, unique Starfleet Academy, and unique Memory Alpha assignments with each social zone having a more likely chance of certain commendation assignments. For example Memory Alpha will have more engineering and science assignments while Starfleet Academy will have more recruiting assignments.

If there is special assignments during missions, then there should be some very noticeable message to show it.