Lt. Commander
# 951
08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Trying to not keep my hopes up on this but the constant 'team' updates on the thread are very tasty
Could care less about XP rewards though, definetly one thing we dont need in the game is more ways to earn skill points
Lt. Commander
# 952
08-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Somewhat unrelated, but The Old Republic seems to be doing the same thing as the Duty Officer system except it is your companions (away team) that can gather, craft, or do assignments instead of regular crew. The missions are Diplomacy, Investigation, Treasure Hunting, and Underworld Trading. These missions seem to be exactly like assignments.
Lt. Commander
# 953
08-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
All sector maps, most social maps (including most social ground maps), and star clusters. There may also be special assignments available in missions as well.
This kind of brings the thought of Doff missions in story missions to affect the way the story mission progresses...

Picture this if you will....

Sending a strike team to an enemy base and having them disable some of the enemy ships prior to your fighting them..

Critical success, getting an enemy ship as a friendly npc for the duration!
Lt. Commander
# 954
08-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
There are definitely both chefs and counselors. I don't think there are any Talaxian duty officers. Yet.
I like how the devs quote people who quote me, but never directly quote me. xD

I would like to have Orion Doffs for my Fed ships too. Please?

I campaigned long and hard for playable Fed Orions when the game first launched and it never happened... though when we can promote our Boffs to captains it will have. But this is a safe way, I think for Orions to be added to the Starfleet.

Oh and it would be really cool if we could occaisionally see our Doffs inside our ships. Like we could go to the infirmary and find the chief medical officer, or find the counselor... whereever they hang out. Go to the galley and see the cook whipping up some grub.
Lt. Commander
# 955
08-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Just a quick question Heretic. I've seen it mentioned that we will get rewards for completeing DoFF assignments, but will there be any assignments that require players to actually use resources (for example trade goods, data samples or even credits and latinum)?

I only ask as this system could be a good way to add a sink to the game, since so far it seems more like a system that will be purely adding goods, rather than removing them as well (apart from time ofcourse!) :-)
Lt. Commander
# 956
08-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
Just a quick question Heretic. I've seen it mentioned that we will get rewards for completeing DoFF assignments, but will there be any assignments that require players to actually use resources (for example trade goods, data samples or even credits and latinum)?
He answered this in one of his last updates. Yes commodities, maybe prisoners or other resource gained from other missions will all be used to send DoFF's on missions.
Lt. Commander
# 957
08-21-2011, 02:31 PM
So will we be able to somehow manage the inactive roster? With a working number of 100 DOffs, I can see it being a pain browsing through all of them to put on missions. (Now where did that pesky cook get off to now? First officer, what was that cook's name?) The UI dumps I saw kind'a skipped over that tab. I really hope it'll be something better than just a list, like your commisioned BOffs. Closer to the fleet bank UI where you could accordian according to mission category maybe.
Lt. Commander
# 958
08-21-2011, 04:36 PM
How will the economy revamp affect the DO system? Will we have the new economy at the time the DO system goes live?
From what Stahl said, Honor/Merits will be transformed into the new uber-currency, yet Heretic says some assignments will give Honor/Merits.
Lt. Commander
# 959
08-21-2011, 07:18 PM
I've been totally apathetic about this system, but I have to say the stuff Heretic is talking about is actually starting to perk me up...I think what did it is the idea of colonial assignments...it might make the universe feel more alive if I'm sending people out to help Fed colonists.

(Oh, and someday, on some rare mission, I want to send colonial marines out to protect a terraforming world from some nasty alien. Anything but a critical success results on the loss of 90% guys, and a ends with a photon torpedo barrage...after all, it's the only way to be sure.)
Lt. Commander
# 960
08-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsches123
How will the economy revamp affect the DO system? Will we have the new economy at the time the DO system goes live?
From what Stahl said, Honor/Merits will be transformed into the new uber-currency, yet Heretic says some assignments will give Honor/Merits.
Seeing as the doff system was in the mockup stage when the currency overhaul was hovering between discussion and long term, I imagine it's being developed under the existing system and when the overhaul is actually implemented, doff rewards will be converted to the new system.