Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 961
08-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Will we be able to cancel DOff missions before they finish?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 962
08-22-2011, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
[...]should keep wiki writers busy for at least a week or two.
Two weeks ago I would have accepted that challenge. But I need to wrap my head properly around that semantic mediawiki thing first. Just make sure to not allow any wikieditor onto redshirt to give us an headstart . And under no circumstances Phyrexianhero, he won't leave us anything to write at all, that wiki junkie :p.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 963
08-22-2011, 05:59 AM
i've noticed a few references to assignments using no DOffs, how does that work? unless it's just using the computer to work something out i dont see how anything can be done without using 'staff'.

one more quick question will mission unique assignments be advertised or will they be pritty much easter eggs like the borg boff in KA?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 964
08-22-2011, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
i've noticed a few references to assignments using no DOffs, how does that work? unless it's just using the computer to work something out i dont see how anything can be done without using 'staff'.
Recruiting Doffs assignments require no Doffs to complete since you can end up spacing your entire crew.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 965
08-22-2011, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Recruiting Doffs assignments require no Doffs to complete since you can end up spacing your entire crew.
ahh, didnt think of that as an 'assignment' but ok fair enough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 966
08-22-2011, 07:37 AM
I assume Ferengi DOFFs will have a high chance to crit missions that reward Latinum.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 967
08-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Just seen this sticky and read through Heretic's post, and all I can say is: wow. Can't wait setting up Department Heads or sending waves of Klingon warriors and Starfleet redshirts into early graves on combat assignments.

I also like how the system seems to respect the current state of affairs and the history of the setting regarding the availability of duty officers. There were times I actually found it difficult to get a Human BO for my Starfleet ship or a Klingon for my KDF one. Sounds like a "proper" representation of the atmosphere from the shows will be easy with the DO's though, with the occasional aliens just like in the original. I'd imagine that their species' traits would also make them stand out as preferrable for certain assignments, how it should be.

From what it sounds like, there will even be a certain degree of influence on the species during recruitment, depending on where one would look for new members of the crew? I still have an Orion KDF char who is planning on a Marauder Patrol Cruiser with a fully Orion crew - I guess I could just fly to Ter'jas Mor then?

PS: bonus points for the "Execute for Incompetence" option on the Klingon UI.

PPS: And yes, the reference to Ter'jas Mor is a small plea for implementing that world on the map, even if it'd be nothing more than a dot with a name for now. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 968
08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
Just a quick question Heretic. I've seen it mentioned that we will get rewards for completeing DoFF assignments, but will there be any assignments that require players to actually use resources (for example trade goods, data samples or even credits and latinum)?

I only ask as this system could be a good way to add a sink to the game, since so far it seems more like a system that will be purely adding goods, rather than removing them as well (apart from time ofcourse!) :-)
Yes, the assignment system is intended to provide significant - albeit optional - sinks to the game. Currently assignments can require:
  • Energy Credits
  • Data Samples
  • Commodities
  • Tribbles
  • Certain mission/assignment-specific items, such as prototypes or schematics
  • Prisoners

...I probably am forgetting a few rarer cases, as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by f(t)
So will we be able to somehow manage the inactive roster? With a working number of 100 DOffs, I can see it being a pain browsing through all of them to put on missions. (Now where did that pesky cook get off to now? First officer, what was that cook's name?) The UI dumps I saw kind'a skipped over that tab. I really hope it'll be something better than just a list, like your commisioned BOffs. Closer to the fleet bank UI where you could accordian according to mission category maybe.
We are still working on refining means in the UI to manage your reserve roster; with the numbers of duty officers involved, making sure you can identify the ones you need quickly is a major concern. Currently, they are listed by department and collapse the individual department lists, but we are also experimenting with a filter mechanic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by finsches123
How will the economy revamp affect the DO system? Will we have the new economy at the time the DO system goes live?
From what Stahl said, Honor/Merits will be transformed into the new uber-currency, yet Heretic says some assignments will give Honor/Merits.
Just confirmed with Dstahl about this to make sure I wasn't about to lie to you guys; the current plan is for most currencies to get folded into the new currency; Honor/Merit WILL be sticking around, as will latinum and energy credits. It was just a mixup with badges of exploration and similar currencies. (Yes, even we get mixed up internally between all the currencies, ergo the move to simplify things.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Body_Surfer
Will we be able to cancel DOff missions before they finish?
Yes, with a (very) few exceptions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Recruiting Doffs assignments require no Doffs to complete since you can end up spacing your entire crew.
Yes. Bridge officer recruitment assignments sometimes will require a duty officer on the assignment, sometimes not, depending upon the type of bridge officer recruitment assignment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I also like how the system seems to respect the current state of affairs and the history of the setting regarding the availability of duty officers. There were times I actually found it difficult to get a Human BO for my Starfleet ship or a Klingon for my KDF one. Sounds like a "proper" representation of the atmosphere from the shows will be easy with the DO's though, with the occasional aliens just like in the original. I'd imagine that their species' traits would also make them stand out as preferrable for certain assignments, how it should be.

From what it sounds like, there will even be a certain degree of influence on the species during recruitment, depending on where one would look for new members of the crew? I still have an Orion KDF char who is planning on a Marauder Patrol Cruiser with a fully Orion crew - I guess I could just fly to Ter'jas Mor then?
Traits are - in general - based on the species. There are some exceptional duty officers that break this rule, however.

Some recruitment assignments are generic, some are aimed at particular species or divisions; those aimed at particular species are generally either rarer or only show up in certain sectors.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 969
08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Just confirmed with Dstahl about this to make sure I wasn't about to lie to you guys; the current plan is for most currencies to get folded into the new currency; Honor/Merit WILL be sticking around, as will latinum and energy credits. It was just a mixup with badges of exploration and similar currencies. (Yes, even we get mixed up internally between all the currencies, ergo the move to simplify things.)
This is off on a total tangent, but if EC is remaing (and it looks like Emblems are too with DStahl's earlier comment about being able to auction Emblems for C-Points between players); it seems that we're still going to have A LOT of diffrent currwencies remaing. I was hoping/expecting a lot more currency 'compaction as it were.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 970
08-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
This is off on a total tangent, but if EC is remaing (and it looks like Emblems are too with DStahl's earlier comment about being able to auction Emblems for C-Points between players); it seems that we're still going to have A LOT of diffrent currwencies remaing. I was hoping/expecting a lot more currency 'compaction as it were.
It sounds like Marks, Badges of Exploration, Emblems, and PvP medals will be combined into one currency. Honor/Merit, Energy Credits, and Gold-pressed Latinum will stay the same. So instead of having 17 currencies, there will be 4. I am pretty sure that dstahl meant medals instead of honor in his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Once we have converted all marks/badges/honor/emblems into the new "time" currency (probably Dilithium) - then we will also hook up all the new missions that allow you to earn Dilithium at all levels on a daily basis. So everyone will be earning Dilithium throughout their career (your previous currencies will be converted to Dilithium as well).

Then you'll be able to directly trade Dilithium to other players for C-Points and then you can get the Rhode Island or any other ship out there. And if you are worried that people won't have c-points to trade, there is an enormous vault of unspent c-points awaiting to be traded.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 PM.