Lt. Commander
# 11
06-19-2011, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
TSI as of yesterday still had members running around with FAW 1 2 and 3... and SS 1 2 and 3 (granted not really broken). Perhaps they did change something today, beats me.

Ya Nerf Era lol.
Honestly Era and Rocks are 2 of the better players in the game... I know they do well no matter the setup. Having said that fleets that push broken mechanics and use straight out exploits, well they get called out I guess.
please mail me the info of the players using these skills in abusive manners. (i run a scramble sensor 1 myself) and ill take try to take care of it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-19-2011, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJedi
You know, it's really getting tiring hearing people bash certain Fleets (in particular, TSI) for the 'spamming' of skills that, despite significant issues with their implementation (many of which are currently being or scheduled to be addressed), are working precisely as they were originally intended by the Devs.

If a player or group of players are using skills that are genuinely 'broken' (read: mechanically NOT working as intended, and overpowered), then it is perfectly natural and, I would say, acceptable to call them out on it... And, more importantly, help the Devs to locate and solve the problem with the 'broken' mechanic or skill (ex. the Voldemort exploit, the old FAW DBB bug, etc.).

Is it more fun to play against a so-called 'clean' Fleet, because you last a little longer in combat, and might feel that you have a chance to be competitive? Probably, but who gets to decide what is 'clean'? Most of the top-tier PvP-focused fleets will 'police' themselves, particularly when something is officially declared to be 'broken', and avoid the use of these abilities or mechanics, until they are fixed.

One fact will never change, however, and that is that, in the absence of all other factors, the best team in PvP, will win... EVERY... TIME... There are a dozen factors that contribute to being the 'best team', but that is the penultimate conclusion, the team that is the 'best' will win every time.

The Fleets out there that are recognized as the best, whether it is TSI, QEW, Lore, WoG/SoG, EMS, etc. (No, that is not an all-inclusive list. ), are not the best because they use 'broken' mechanics, they are the best because they work together; they are intimately familiar with each other's builds and playing styles; they understand the mechanics of the game, better than anyone, and find combinations that are powerful; and they put in the time practicing, always looking to get better. Is a FAW/SS-heavy team difficult to overcome? Absolutely... If it's a team that really knows what they are doing (TSI, for example), it might be impossible for a less-skilled team to overcome, but even in the face of abilities that probably are a little more powerful than any comparable alternatives, the final results are always more dependent on the quality of their teamwork, rather than the strength of their builds.

To hate losing is absolutely understandable and absolutely okay, but it should motivate you to get better, not to complain that you were beaten by a better team (Note: this is not directed at the OP, specifically, but in a general sense...). I know that I am always looking for ways to improve both my builds and my playing ability (both for myself, and in a team), and when I get defeated by a superior opponent, I try to understand how and why they beat me, rather than getting upset 'that' they beat me. My goal in every PvP match is to learn something that I didn't know before, and if you take this to heart, I think that you'll find that PvP is a much more enjoyable experience, even when you're being beaten.

As for the complaints about those certain Fleets, especially TSI, QEW, or any of the other top-tier Fleets, you only do a disservice to yourself by complaining about what they do. Instead, the next time that you get curb-stomped by an opponent, ask someone on there team "What do you guys do differently than we do, that makes you so effective?"... I have a lot of respect for the guys from those top-tier Fleets, they're all better players than I am, and any time that I have the chance to learn from them, it's a great thing... More importantly, in most cases, I know that they're willing to help and offer advice, but all you have to do is ask...

Respectfully,
-Big Red

Full disclosure: I neither am, nor have I ever been a member of TSI (they're about three leagues above my ability ), but I respect their abilities and don't believe that they deserve the criticism that they receive on a regular basis.
Great post. Laudable ethics. /salute
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-19-2011, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagles View Post
Qew does not use FAW, SS III, or any other cheese skills, nor have we ever. We agree completely with the original post. Unfortunately teams are not called out for their actions that are ruining the game and causing people to leave in game, and doing so on here will get you reported.
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~InfoNinja
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-19-2011, 06:55 AM
I was nothing but polite in the vent and thankful to kai and zorena for taking the time. I fail to see how that has anything to do with the discussion.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-19-2011, 11:53 AM
As honorable as it may seem that fleets will police themselves. Most fleets have a hierarchy of some sort. In other words there is not a person in charge there is most likely a group of people and this is done because of the global nature of the game and you need people with "power" in the fleet to cover all time zones. So in essence fleets policing themselves will help remove the stigma of broken skill users from that fleet but will not remove said broken skills from use in the game.

On a side note I still see many fleets that vehemently preach that they do not use broken skills but I still many of their members using broken skills.

On a side note I still need to get in touch with my fleets leadership about broken skills.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Well, I'll say this; my post was pointed toward the devs more so than that particular fleet. @BigRedJedi, we all see exactly how they play and as you suggested I will and have said something. As far as complaining goes I'm addressing the issue and if no one addresses an issue it will be assumed that it is in fact a non-issue so I suppose I'm doing my part. I get beaten ( a lot some days ) and I, just as you analyze my own build, make necessary adjustments to it or my play style as I see fit. But not to obfuscate the issue, players will continue to abandon PvP ( which means less fun for all who love PvP ) and I'm sure no one here wants that.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-19-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm not a fan of powers that, while intended to do one thing, instead works perhaps too well at what it's suposed to be doing in other areas. The best 2 examples of that statement right now are FAW and Scramble Sensors 3.

We all know what they can do normally in PVE.. We know what happens when they get used in PVP.

So I'm in agreement that there should be a more personal policing of powers like these so that they don't get abused and ruin everyones fun.

And to those fleets that abuse anything that is broken just to get an edge, I say that you should all find another game to play. We don't want your kind here. Just because you may not enjoy Star Trek online and want to use it's problems to force others to not enjoy it, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It's just the stupid thing to do.

Just be lucky that using those powers wasn't actually called an exploit. Because if it were truelly an exploit, and an offense worthy of reporting, I'm sure you wouldn't be so willing to use it.. Other wise you would have wasted what money you, your family, or your friends helped to spend on this game.

And that, would be the dumbest thing of all..
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos1337 View Post
Well, I'll say this; my post was pointed toward the devs more so than that particular fleet. @BigRedJedi, we all see exactly how they play and as you suggested I will and have said something. As far as complaining goes I'm addressing the issue and if no one addresses an issue it will be assumed that it is in fact a non-issue so I suppose I'm doing my part. I get beaten ( a lot some days ) and I, just as you analyze my own build, make necessary adjustments to it or my play style as I see fit. But not obfuscate the issue, players will continue to abandon PvP ( which means less fun for all who love PvP ) and I'm sure no one here wants that.
it may have been point towards the devs, but calling out a fleet is not the way to go about getting their attention. its more likely to have the thread closed then anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
I'm not a fan of powers that, while intended to do one thing, instead works perhaps too well at what it's suposed to be doing in other areas. The best 2 examples of that statement right now are FAW and Scramble Sensors 3.

We all know what they can do normally in PVE.. We know what happens when they get used in PVP.

So I'm in agreement that there should be a more personal policing of powers like these so that they don't get abused and ruin everyones fun.

And to those fleets that abuse anything that is broken just to get an edge, I say that you should all find another game to play. We don't want your kind here. Just because you may not enjoy Star Trek online and want to use it's problems to force others to not enjoy it, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It's just the stupid thing to do.

Just be lucky that using those powers wasn't actually called an exploit. Because if it were truelly an exploit, and an offense worthy of reporting, I'm sure you wouldn't be so willing to use it.. Other wise you would have wasted what money you, your family, or your friends helped to spend on this game.

And that, would be the dumbest thing of all..

I agree but the devs of this game do not care about the nuts and bolts of this game. I send a ticket in about the extra commander Boff and the next day all my tickets are cleared. I offer to send a screen shot of someone I caught cheating 6 months back and it is not considered proof, I was told sceenies are not evidence. So how exactly are we to police ourselves when this game does nothing about exploits, hacks, or bugs. I mean really how many people have actually had their account shutdown because they were caught hacking, exploiting, or otherwise being under handed in this game. The lag bug, everyone that had the extra shield or tac console where it should not should have been kicked out of the game it isn't like offender can say "I didn't know you couldn't put a shield there". Personally I think the lag bug wasn't completely fixed either.

Really why waste my breath it will all get explained away by some one higher up on the PvP food chain.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-19-2011, 09:56 PM
FAW....well here's an interesting fact:

many players don't even know its bugged, I PVP a -lot-, and so does my partner when we're online but we never heard of FAW being broken until maybe, 2 weeks ago.

So I stopped using it in PVP. (increases my damage to a single target anyway not using it, so no real loss on scoreboard)

-However- I keep it loaded for PVE content, as well I could equip just one phaser array and win PVE, so doesn't matter there.

It's also handy when you see a fleet of Klingon in PVP using FAW, they wanna use it, they'll suffer it.