Lt. Commander
# 11
06-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The ARGO, in terms of STO"s tech, is wasted space. It's a logistics nightmare. It's just a bad idea.
I couldn't have said it better myself. The tech needed alone to add ground vehicles into the game would be an utter waste of the dev team's time and effort considering all the other things that need to be added or fixed to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I see no problem with ground vehicles. I mean...if ground maps ever get really big, then ground vehicles would be a plus. Oh well, on to the next poster.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sol
I couldn't have said it better myself. The tech needed alone to add ground vehicles into the game would be an utter waste of the dev team's time and effort considering all the other things that need to be added or fixed to the game.
I've seen plenty of contractors and officers with bright ideas try and get unique, proprietary gadgets with obscure parts that would only prove useful in a handful of situations and overlap with other, more useful items. These are the "bright ideas" that make every maintenance section groan.

If there's a cheaper, more useful, and easier option, you go with it. Shuttles, in Star Trek, are more prevalent, easier to use, and are already being used to transport the ARGO. Why not skip the ARGO altogether and have room for more supplies and personnel?
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-19-2011, 05:00 PM
I think maps would have to be much bigger with more even terrain before something like an ARGO could work.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Quote:
I'd just like to come out and say that the ARGO is the worst, more illogical vehicle in science-fiction.

If it needs a shuttle for transport, why not ditch the ARGO and use the shuttle to move quickly between locations?
Absolutely true.

I would see development resources being put into this as a big waste. It never belonged in Trek to begin with. I'm happy to know that Stahl feels the same way about it. I forget if it was a response to a previous thread on this topic, or an ask cryptic question, but he pretty much said that this will likely never make its way into the game for reasons stated above.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
I've seen plenty of contractors and officers with bright ideas try and get unique, proprietary gadgets with obscure parts that would only prove useful in a handful of situations and overlap with other, more useful items. These are the "bright ideas" that make every maintenance section groan.

If there's a cheaper, more useful, and easier option, you go with it. Shuttles, in Star Trek, are more prevalent, easier to use, and are already being used to transport the ARGO. Why not skip the ARGO altogether and have room for more supplies and personnel?
In a future without scarcity, aside from labor (which can be automated with holograms and non-sentient exocomps) and a few non-replicatable designs, these kinds of projects would tend to get made.

I'd imagine the future of Trek is a "dream it, do it" kind of future, without modern practicality concerns weighing in as much.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
In a future without scarcity, aside from labor (which can be automated with holograms and non-sentient exocomps) and a few non-replicatable designs, these kinds of projects would tend to get made.

I'd imagine the future of Trek is a "dream it, do it" kind of future, without modern practicality concerns weighing in as much.
It's precisely because of the lack of scarcity that a shuttle would be preferable over a dune buggy.

Hint: the dune buggy needs a shuttle for transport.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Quote:
It's precisely because of the lack of scarcity that a shuttle would be preferable over a dune buggy.

Hint: the dune buggy needs a shuttle for transport.
I can see one immediately practical use for the Argo that lines up with its use in Nemesis and makes its absence on Voyager glaring:

Say you're going into a hostile area where there's a reasonable chance you won't make it back. Possibly an area where breaching the Prime Directive on some level may be necessary.

You don't want an industrial society or a warp capable enemy getting ahold of the replicators, waro drive, and security resources aboard a shuttle.

One shuttle could change the entire course of a pre-warp society if you're already having to break the Prime Directive (which isn't THAT uncommon) and could give the enemy an edge in a war.

In general, I think you'd always want to use the lowest tech possible that gets the job done, doubly so on a suicide mission.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Say you're going into a hostile area where there's a reasonable chance you won't make it back. Possibly an area where breaching the Prime Directive on some level may be necessary.

You don't want an industrial society or a warp capable enemy getting ahold of the replicators, waro drive, and security resources aboard a shuttle.
Beam down to a secluded location in period garb.

Don't drive a foreign, strange-looking dune buggy into a town.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
guys, you're not getting the point of Argo.

Argo is name for Shuttle that carries the Dune Buggy Vehicle which CARRIES same name. the point of that vehicle, you don't always have to FLY, when you can do fun things on Ground like getting some Wicked Air, which what Captain Picard did in Nemesis.
we can get to do things we never got to do for example, we even don't have Ground vehicles that would help us to move if we're unable to fly Shuttle or beam in, or have been restricted from using transporters, Shuttles. then our Ground Vehicle is our only Option to move on Ground.
to plainly put it in..
we will need that if Devs plans to do that in season 6 or 7 i'm not sure, but i got feeling that they will restricted us on Certain Planets that Require Use of Ground Vehicles like ARGO.
get the point of what i'm saying?