Lt. Commander
How do you move the STO game files to another hard drive,... with the least amount of patching?
i want to move them off my main system drive, for reformats, ect.

anyone know how?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-19-2011, 08:37 PM
if you are move to game to another drive only temp while re format and plan to move it back all you really need to to is copy the /live/piggs anf the /live/screenshot folder.

then when you reformat just use the installer to do the inital install so all the registery setting and folder permissions are set . then just copy the /live folder back to the new game directory.

if you want to move the game to a new driver and keep it there on the new drive to play. you could move the entire folder over and play from that directory but because of register setting you may have problems in patching.
it best to copy the /live/piggs and /live/screenshots folder to a temp location. unistall the game . use the installer to install at the new drive then copy /live/piggs and /live/screenshot to the new install location.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Least amount of patching is to just move the entire directory. If you aren't sure where it is just right click the short cut and read the target location.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Keep in mind, you're probably better off making a backup image of your hard drive with a fully patched STO anyway. The reason being is that the registry files need to be recreated by installing the game again, or it won't run properly. Reinstalling the game overwrites the files which defeats the purpose of your question.

If, however, you installed the game after reformatting, and then copied the game folder from your backup drive to the installed folder, that is a different story.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshi View Post
Keep in mind, you're probably better off making a backup image of your hard drive with a fully patched STO anyway. The reason being is that the registry files need to be recreated by installing the game again, or it won't run properly. Reinstalling the game overwrites the files which defeats the purpose of your question.

If, however, you installed the game after reformatting, and then copied the game folder from your backup drive to the installed folder, that is a different story.
I've already done the copy the directory method, and the game has run fine.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
I've already done the copy the directory method, and the game has run fine.
I was concerned about the registry entries, but I forgot that the game probably reenters those when you patch up. I stand corrected.

Nothing to see here! Move along! :p