06-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
No, that was Cryptics trailer.
she's right. it is
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
i have always liked the explosions in sto, but i feel they can be improved upon.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-20-2011, 12:05 PM
i allways found these explosions uber EPIC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_EX3_nfpZ4
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-20-2011, 09:04 PM
What I would like to see, but may require some time to develop, is a dynamic hull damage and debris system. When you take direct hull damage, instead of an image overlaying your ship, you'd seen scorch marks and hull breaches develop where the weapons themselves hit. These will disappear gradually as your health is restored. Hull damage visuals can also work in conjunction with ship injuries on higher difficulties, and will disappear after repairing them. As your HP drops to critical levels, you'll start seeing bits and pieces of your ship fly off. Then finally, when your ship explodes, not only will there be a random type of explosion, but large pieces of debris from your ship will shoot off in random directions. Anyone hit by these will take shield or hull damage in addition to damage caused by the ship exploding.

One can only dream...
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Ships are made out of modular parts.

As long as STO adopts that model, I think it ought to be possible to apply damage textures to each of those selective parts. For example, we could get to see an Intrepid-class' right warp nacelle switch to the 10% texture/damage effect by itself.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-21-2011, 04:36 AM
This game still has my favourite space explosions, lots of debris and sense of scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQhrYm6UB5w

From around 2.50 onwards.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Having drifting wrecks and variable ship destruction (and disabled) animations would most definetely enhance the game. I hope we see it at some point.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-25-2011, 01:55 AM
I actually would like to see explosions like the ones from the Starfleet Command series where ship parts are flying in every direction when they explode.

I'd also like to see a different explosion for ships killed by Disruptor Javelins or Spinal Phaser Lance and the ship is essentially cut in half.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Nuclear explosions would be nice too.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
To me, there are two ship destruction animations done mostly correctly, the Bird of Prey and the Intrepid variants.

Both of them have movable portions that separate and fly off as the ship is destroyed.

I would like to see the concept applied to ships that separate, like the Galaxy variants and the Prometheus variants, seeing the saucer section detach as the docking clamps fail and the saucer surge forward from the initial explosions shock-wave only to be obliterated as the Warp Core breaches.. That would be cool.

Canon explosions, like the splitting of the Defiant from the second battle of Chin'Toka, would be awesome, and haven't we seen just about every canon ship destroyed at some point or another?

I know we've seen the Oberth destroyed several times, and the Miranda, the Nova got a nifty little destruction sequence on Voyager. I'm pretty sure if we go through all the footage from the various Borg engagements and the Dominion War we can come up with the various ways the Nebula, Excelsior, and Ambassador classes (when added) blow up. (The Dominion War would also help illustrate KDF ship explosions too!)

Take inspiration from those to craft some booms for the non-canon ships, and we'd have some very visually appealing death sequences!