Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I was thinking about this since my girlfriend loves to play STO and she's also got an account, though she doesn't get a whole lot of time to play, but, when she's visiting me, I thought it might be cool if her and I could play together since we've both got accounts.

But I was wondering if it was possible for the both of us to play the game in the same house [since we'd be sharing a connection] but on two different computers with our two different accounts.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-20-2011, 11:50 AM
There's no issue here... STO Accounts aren't based on IP address. (Otherwise, this would be an issue with STO on laptops...) As long as you're using separate accounts, there's no reason why you can't share the same Internet connection...

(This should probably go to the PC Tech Forum...)
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the quick and helpful response!

(and yeah, you're right. lol Sorry; I just figured since my question related to STO, it should be here. Devs, if you happen to see this thread, please move it to the PC Tech forum. Thanks!)
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-20-2011, 04:32 PM
The Academy is fine; maybe others have wondered the same thing.

What's not okay is sharing the same account with different people. But as long as there is no weirness happening between two accounts on two computers (or even one computer) - we do not much mind either way.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah I can confirm two different accounts play just fine together. My Dad plays STO and we have played together both at my house and his. Works great!
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-20-2011, 07:43 PM
yeah, that's how most MMOs work. They're not like multiplayer FPS games or RTS games that require each copy of the game to have a unique serial number. In effect, for MMOs, the account is the unique serial number. You can install STO on a hundred different computers with the same install discs, but each of those hundred players would need their own STO account.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
The Academy is fine; maybe others have wondered the same thing.

What's not okay is sharing the same account with different people. But as long as there is no weirness happening between two accounts on two computers (or even one computer) - we do not much mind either way.
hmmm what if you shared an account with a family member? would that be okay? just wondering
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper23 View Post
hmmm what if you shared an account with a family member? would that be okay? just wondering
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

account sharing is a major no no.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

account sharing is a major no no.
Especially with a family member. Never lend a family member money or your account info. Worst case, what if they did something that would get you banned from the game or forums?
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
A bit late for a reply. But the game client works even with (forgive the RL techno speak) you computers being NAT'ed through a routers or gateway. In my on case, I have a private network inside of my house which doesn't use public IP addresses. Any system in my interior network access the Internet through a gateway server. It looks likes all of the different inside systems are coming from the gateway server. Running the game client of two computers with my setup will work just fine.