Lt. Commander
Why is it with NPC's hand weapons they out damage players with firearms?

I can understand that some people are in love with swords and other hand to hand weapons. However, a hand weapon should not out damage a phaser.

A phaser has the power to melt lead and steal in a flash of an eye. A phaser can disentergrate people in seconds.

Time and time again I see Klingon NPC's run up and make one or two swipes and the whole landing party is dead. However, you can shoot the guy with 50 or more shots of the phaser, and it does not affect the NPC.

There is a reason swords are no longer used in the 21st century. This also extends to the 25th century.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-20-2011, 10:54 PM
while that would be true in real life, STO is not real life... therefore, it needs balance when the players use hand weapons, which is why they can outdamage phasers at times (because they ignore shielding that phasers have to penetrate)
Lt. Commander
How is killing the landing party with one or two swipes considered 'balanced'?

And, how does a piece of metal ignore shields?

And if it is ignoring the shields, then why are we wearing armor?
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-21-2011, 01:06 AM
The observant user has taken note of the upcoming changes to ground, wich seems to greatly re-balance ground for the better.

It is no secrect that ground isn't properly balanced, and cryptic is aware of this. Season 4 is supposed to fix it, and from what i've tried on tribble it seems to be true.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Yes...
06-21-2011, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
The observant user has taken note of the upcoming changes to ground, wich seems to greatly re-balance ground for the better.

It is no secrect that ground isn't properly balanced, and cryptic is aware of this. Season 4 is supposed to fix it, and from what i've tried on tribble it seems to be true.
Yes, I tested out the patch for the shooter mode today for the first time. It looks really good for the combat I did. However, the scalling seem to be turned off.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-21-2011, 02:42 AM
It's been said that the personal shields that are carried by Starfleet and the KDF are "Energy Shields", meaning that they only protect the user against energy weapons.

So fists and melee weapons, not being energy weapons, simply pass right through them.

Other than the Swordmasters and Dahar Masters, which were broken by the addition of the difficulty slider, I don't think that melee weapons really out damage ranged weapons in game, it's just that they get to ignore shields.

If you're looking for a sensible reason for this there's always the fact that a force field that stops a fist would probably also stop air, with predictable results on the person inside said force field.

A game balance reason is that it's riskier to engage in melee combat than in ranged combat, so the balance is that the player that engages in this riskier combat style is rewarded by doing more damage. At least that's the theory.

The way combat is on Tribble now there's really no reason to engage in melee combat anymore, as your target is likely to be dead before you can reach him.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
It's been said that the personal shields that are carried by Starfleet and the KDF are "Energy Shields", meaning that they only protect the user against energy weapons.

So fists and melee weapons, not being energy weapons, simply pass right through them.

Other than the Swordmasters and Dahar Masters, which were broken by the addition of the difficulty slider, I don't think that melee weapons really out damage ranged weapons in game, it's just that they get to ignore shields.

If you're looking for a sensible reason for this there's always the fact that a force field that stops a fist would probably also stop air, with predictable results on the person inside said force field.

A game balance reason is that it's riskier to engage in melee combat than in ranged combat, so the balance is that the player that engages in this riskier combat style is rewarded by doing more damage. At least that's the theory.

The way combat is on Tribble now there's really no reason to engage in melee combat anymore, as your target is likely to be dead before you can reach him.
But melee weapons do kinetic energy damage. To defend against melee weapons, I carry multiple suits of armor to change out for my away team.

Pollyweave which is mainly for physical and kinetic damage
Energy dampening which is for Kinetic energy and Energy weapon

However, when I switch to my VUlcan Lirpa, I should be able to kill a klingon with one or two swipes too, if they can kill the player with one or two swipes.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
But melee weapons do kinetic energy damage. To defend against melee weapons, I carry multiple suits of armor to change out for my away team.

Pollyweave which is mainly for physical and kinetic damage
Energy dampening which is for Kinetic energy and Energy weapon

However, when I switch to my VUlcan Lirpa, I should be able to kill a klingon with one or two swipes too, if they can kill the player with one or two swipes.
energy shields on ships in startrek do not stop physicl things going through them, so why should a tiny personal shield be better?

and the sword master (forgiving that it is broken atm) does more damage with a sword because it is a master with a sword and you are a starship captain. and the damage is ballanced by the fact that npcs are thick.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Wait...
06-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
energy shields on ships in startrek do not stop physicl things going through them, so why should a tiny personal shield be better?

and the sword master (forgiving that it is broken atm) does more damage with a sword because it is a master with a sword and you are a starship captain. and the damage is ballanced by the fact that npcs are thick.
Are you saying the NPC's have more damage out put with a sword because they are fat or thick or chunky?
If metal goes through ships shield, how does a torpedo get stopped by the shields then. SHould the metal torpedo pass right through the shield?

And what about the transporter. You cannot pass through a ships shield as a energy wave because it prevents molecules from passing through?
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
Are you saying the NPC's have more damage out put with a sword because they are fat or thick or chunky?
If metal goes through ships shield, how does a torpedo get stopped by the shields then. SHould the metal torpedo pass right through the shield?

And what about the transporter. You cannot pass through a ships shield as a energy wave because it prevents molecules from passing through?
trops are stoped by shields, probibly by being blown up and the energy being absorbed by the shields

and transport problems were solved by voyager in the trek time line, probibly to save the writers time

lets site a first contact example, borg with the right shield modifications cant be hurt by phasers at all, buy no matter what they do to their shields Data's still gonna crush them with his mighty pimp slap