Lt. Commander
# 21
06-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThraxx
I never actually realized the KDF just let anyone waltz in and have a ship...no wonder they can't beat the federation training VS...random person with a BOP drinking Bloodwine
Well to be fair, when someone incompetent gets a ship in the KDF, he usually gets murdered by his crew or murdered by one of the KDF's many enemies.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-28-2011, 06:28 AM
I didn't read all the answers here, but this is my opinion:
Even though the Orions, Nausicaans, Gorn and some Letheans are now part of the KDF, they don't have much influence on it. The Klingon Empire conqueres many other species too before this incident, and why should this new members have much more rights? My main KDF character is Nalev, a Nausicaan. His backstory is, that he learned to adapt to Klingon culture in some way, and because he was one of the most famous generals back then, he was allowed to fly a Klingon warship. But although he has proven his loyalty and finally got promoted to a Lt. General, there are still some high ranking Klingons around whereever he is and keep an eye on him. I also imagine, that more than 75 % of the crew is Klingon, so an uprising is nearly impossible. This is possible, because there are waaay more Klingons around, because the Klingon Empire is, in fact, the biggest Empire around here. And "minor" races like the Krios, or whatever they're called, are never seen because they aren't worthy to be the captain of a Klingon starship.

Sorry if this sound confusing, I tried my best to articulate in an understandable way (lol)
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-28-2011, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow
Gagh is the Klingon Flavor, not only that, but it's what's for breakfast!
i'd rather some targ bacon, it doesnt wriggle off the plate

back the semi seriousness, we know they like; shakespear, trials, bloodwine and bar fights, conquoring, singing, pain sticks and orion women.

so there flavor seems to be a cross between a theater and a brothel, hmm tastes wrong, maybe there are a collection of flavors?
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I think that every species in the game should have some kind of origin story.
Maybe a questline of 5 missions that are unique to Vulcans or Gorn or Pak'led.

How they got where they are, why they fight for the Federation / KDF and what their political intentions and goals are.

Well... maybe the KDF could get 5 Missions per Species and the FED's get only 2 or 3 missions per Species because they have so many more...
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post

How they got where they are, why they fight for the Federation / KDF and what their political intentions and goals are.

Well... maybe the KDF could get 5 Missions per Species and the FED's get only 2 or 3 missions per Species because they have so many more...
I like that idea. It'll help flesh out the races more and give them an organic feel other than just another member of the KDF or Starfleet. That, and it'll give the Star Trek "newbs" some backstory that the game is sorely lacking.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post

I've been advocating for exactly that kind of thing.

Although I'd stick with the major races at first. I could care less about the Pak'led and don't even understand why they're Starfleet. They appeared like, once in TNG? Not a lot to base a background story on.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I've been advocating for exactly that kind of thing.

Although I'd stick with the major races at first. I could care less about the Pak'led and don't even understand why they're Starfleet. They appeared like, once in TNG? Not a lot to base a background story on.
They still haven't discovered the secrets of the Crimson Field, and there are still many more things that will make them go that they haven't found yet.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-30-2011, 02:12 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com...6334027837.jpg
???

anyway, my Klingon is actually a politician gone warrior.

Raised in a high class family, she was just your standard high ranking high council house member... until her family was found out to be Undine and they were all killed... by her. Though her house still didn't fair well, seeing as it wasn't that big, just important and having Undine exposed within your family was... kind of BAD. She was later in a bar when she was recognized by another Politician, he bet a ship commission that she wasn't honorable or skilled enough to take a planet for all the dishonor done upon her house.
Let's just say being a former Politician gave her a sharp tongue, some supporters and she was later awarded a strong battlecruiser upon return that she used to work her way up the ranks, and now a certain family doesn't like their father that much.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-30-2011, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
Now before you start giving me your answer take a moment to think about the question. I'm not asking what "Klingon flavor" is, I'm asking about the "KDF-flavor" because, unlike Starfleet, the KDF actually represents a wide range of different military cultures. Klingons have this honorable noble warrior culture where they will honor worthy opponents and seek them out, the Klingon allied Trill might appreciate it but can they really live it? Nausicaans, Letheans and Orions are known to be ruthless and aggressive, but they're not known for honor or nobility and any time we've seen them iin canon, it's quite obvious they would much sooner attack forces far weaker than them and would curse the more worthy opponents, not seek them out. Gorn are another group of strange ducks because they've been shown in canon as hyper defensive but not aggressively expansionistic and I've never gotten a 'warrior culture' vibe from them.

So you want KDF-Themed content, but with well over half the faction being non-Klingon races, what do you actually think that's going to mean? Do you really think it's appropriate for a cravenly Nausicaan mercenary to be seeking out 'greater glory?' Would a seductive Orion manipulator really rough up a Ferengi contact to get to the next step of the mission or would she go about lying to him in much the same the Federation does?
KDF flavor in TOS was more of a Communism theme Inspired by the US cold war with the USSR. Klingon Flavor in TNG and beyond has been more of a romanticized version of Feudal Japan. 'Bushido' is important but Backstabbing is also common but punished if you get caught. Rule is through feudal Lords, Houses, while the Shogun, Chancellor, Focuses the nations might through his own strength and political maneuverings.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
KDF flavor in TOS was more of a Communism theme Inspired by the US cold war with the USSR. Klingon Flavor in TNG and beyond has been more of a romanticized version of Feudal Japan. 'Bushido' is important but Backstabbing is also common but punished if you get caught. Rule is through feudal Lords, Houses, while the Shogun, Chancellor, Focuses the nations might through his own strength and political maneuverings.
And with the whole communism thing we also had "the berlin wall coming down" in Undiscovered Country.