Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I was going to post this in the existing SWG refugee thread in Ten Forward but I think this needs to be here so Devs can get ideas for future development of STO, as well as to get comments from existing STO PVPers....

With the recently announced closure of SWG, I noticed that when people think SWG, they always think solely of the ground game. And yes, SWG players that adore the ground game as it is now will most likely go to SW:TOR or other similar MMOs. Those that do love the Sandbox aspects will be disappointed with SW:TOR and most other MMOs because it is unique to SWG. The only upcoming game that is close to SWG's Sandbox is the Korean made Arch Age, but still very little is known.

But one thing people tend to forget the most is there is a subset of players in SWG that do not do the ground at all. They were not affected by NGE that much, and frankly, SW:TOR will NEVER fill in their needs with their Starfox remake...the pilots! This is one group of players STO can probably fill in the gap, and there maybe some existing gameplay available now, that are the shuttles and starfighters that are becoming more available in this game.

However, there is one criticical missing piece, and that is the large open PVP zone. In SWG, especially in Starsider, the space battles are quite epic! We have quite a few people participate in the Saturday Space PVP events, and can field up to four gunboats (with eight crew each) and two or three starfigher groups (again, eight people), on both sides. Some battles can be quite epic, it really is like being in the movies.

If STO is to somehow capture the refugees from this group of players, it will need to introduce some new mechanics. The FvK system is a good start, but to accomodate flyboys and space RP-PVPers, there has to be a system wherein people can just go in and PVP without queueing or being separated from their fellow pilots due to a filled up shard.

SWG started with "Deepspace", a large zone with two "bases" (a Star Destroyer and a Rebel Space Station) where Imperial and Rebel Pilots can simply duke it out. While it looks simple, it gave organizers and RP-PVPers a place where they can setup scenarios and storylines freely. Eventually, they enabled a system so they can use existing planetary systems (i.e. Tatooine, Naboo, etc), where players can simply flag themselves, and then they can also fight there. I think STO needs to implement a similar system where players can freely fight and create their own scenarios. An open PVP zone that can accomodate hundreds of players. It doesn't need to be complex, the simplier, the better with the fans coming up with their own scenarios and such (we can probably even recreate epic Star Trek battles seen in DS9).

Anyways, I hope this is something that can be considered by Cryptic, if its not in development already...
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Good post. I am in the firm belief that this game needs more open pvp. We need a place that is big enough to allow players from both factions to enter and duke it out without the confines of an arena. I love pvp in this game, but I want something more open and less confined than a 5 on 5 arena match or slightly larger capture and hold match.

I know that the devs are making forays into something like this as new open pvp instances that were introduced on tribble (and recently removed to work on them), but these are just the first steps in what may lead to a more meaningful and open pvp system for STO.

I cannot wait for this type of pvp to be introduced and expanded upon. My only addition to your comments is that while an open pvp zone would be great, there should still be some type of reward for participating, in xp and marls/emblems. I would not mind spending an altís lvling process in mostly pvp and open pvp without queues would be a very fun way to do this as waiting for the queue to pop can take forever at certain level brackets.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-30-2011, 11:41 PM
After having played SWG for more than 5 years, with my only concern being space pvp, I can say that STO have atleast 1 player from that group.

I know of a few other players from Starsider that play STO, but they play a lot more sporadic, and lets be honest, as it stands STO doesnt hold a candle to SWG space PvP possibilities, and likely never will.

its two entirely different experiences, SWG was 100% twitch, had an amazing crafting and RE systems, very limited "buffs" and abilities.

Still.. With some work, STO could capture atleast a portion of the players, if a voulentary gamespanning open pvp system vere added, perhaps some guildwar system as well
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Fun times. My Ad-X with pre-NERF guns/shields and my GB with 6 capped Null-bolts.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
Fun times. My Ad-X with pre-NERF guns/shields and my GB with 6 capped Null-bolts.
Meh.. My AdvX used a 3400 f/b l10 shield, 2600 front 2700 rear armor 122 Ts 80 PY Nova Engine.. 3 Borstels - My Gunship , 6 5.2. - 5.5k dam l 10 guns

Couple of billions worth of REs ;p
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I wish I had known earlier that SWG had a decent space combat system. On the other hand, if it's closing down, maybe all is good.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I wish I had known earlier that SWG had a decent space combat system. On the other hand, if it's closing down, maybe all is good.
it wasnt just decent, its the best Ive seen.. Each ship had a set amount of mass and weaponslots.. Fit a huge weapons capacitor, and you couldnt fit heavier weapons.. So, you spent an eternity improving it.. Finding better resources to craft items, looting lowmass weapons and reengineering them with highdamage ones, or ones with low drain on the cap.. Space was twitch as mentioned, you had to manouver and aim your weapons at the enemy, ofcourse you could fit tracking weapons, but those had limited ammo, youd have to land to do that..
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Twitch is exactly what I would want out of a SWG space combat system.

I fondly remember X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter... Great games. I want a successor.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Oh how I miss my Firespray. Former Starsider pilot here too
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
I was just thinking to myself, "Self, this forum needs more SWG discussion."