Lt. Commander
# 21
06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfull
I don't like how much the saucer looks like the Sovereign class. When I saw the original design I had hoped it would look more like the Galaxy.

I prefer the render at the end over the paintover
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
The saucer is supposed to be ROUND!
I concur with the above, a rounded saucer should be tried out...see if it works guys. And a single, round phaser strip around the saucer like that would be sweet too. And a widening of the deflector dish would be interesting as well. Its got a little too much Sovereign, and not enough Galaxy.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-21-2011, 02:38 PM
From the side on, The deflector has a huge overbite if u cover it up with you finger it look a lot better.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC101 View Post
This is my own personal opinion but when i see the Thomas Marrone's Paint-Over of the Enterprise F Clay Model image.
I have to say thats the ugliest federation star ship iv ever seen.
Oddly enough, I kinda like it. Not too keen on the secondary hull and deflector, but I like what Thomas Marrone did with the necks. Definitely made a believer in the dual neck policy outta me. Though as stated in the article, there's a little too much of the sovvie in her. Still, Nice work Mr Marrone. Can't wait to see future ships that you develop.

Taking a look at Adam William's render at the end of the article now, I'm loving the return to a curvy secondary hull and deflector when compared to slightly blocky Thomas Marrone version. Of course, that means that the neck has gone back to the slender design also, which is a little irksome, but overall, a neat take on the F, just wish that we had more angles so we could do a proper comparison with Thomas Marrone's.

Fantastic Artcle and it's great to see how this ship is developing, no matter how the ships ends up looking.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
The saucer is supposed to be ROUND!
Wow, I really do like the design with the round saucer.

It needs to be like that!
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
It was during this period where we decided to really take the “sleek and elegant” concept to the next level and focus intensely on making sure that everything fit together in an organic and seamless way by sinking impulse engines, scoops and weapons sections into the skin of the vessel, as opposed to the more typical Cryptic style of faceting and layering I was accustomed to.
TBH, more of this please.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
I still don't like this ship. But at least it is starting to look a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnaith View Post
In some cases it is good that STO is not canon
Indeed, there is so much wrong in this game, including this new Enterprise I'm glad STO isn't canon either.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-21-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't like the drawn picture that much, there are too much things that don't seem to fit together somehow.
But that render looks just great! I love it!
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-21-2011, 03:07 PM
To be honest, I still don't like the design of this ship. As others have stated in the past, this ship is literally a step backwards in terms of ship design.

1. Hull flow - In Star Trek canon, every ship designed in the late 2300's made a shift toward "compact" designs that merged the saucer with the engineering hull. The Sovereign class was a good example of this, and it's easy to see that the "neck" is almost nonexistent in the Sovereign class. In fact, at least a couple decks run the entire length of the ship. This latest design is closer to the Ambassador or Galaxy Designs in terms of hull geometry, almost ignoring the direction that both the late-24th century and 26th century designs pointed.

2. "double neck" - This is a completely unconventional design (the only other ship I know of to use this is the Oberth, and that was to separate the science labs from the rest of the ship), and there are two major reasons it's a bad idea:
- structure: Having a "hole" in the middle of your connecting decks weakens the overall strength of said connection.
- Function: With said hole, internal volume is reduced, which means less room for crew quarters, labs, turbolifts, even things like ODN conduits. Reduced space means everything is crammed in tighter.

Overall, the ship just screams "backwards" to me. It doesn't look like a brand new 25th century ship. It looks like something that would fit better in early TNG as the predecessor to the Galaxy class. It just isn't an Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks Cryptic, all concerns regarding turbolifts and stability solved - Well done.

It looks like every of these two necks is already thicker than a Constitutions, so the shooting through problem has vanished too.
But lets see how it looks ingame
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
So the paint over is... well.

I don't want to be negative, so I'll just say it has a lot of problems, and you should definitely focus on the direction you're heading in the render at the end of the article.

But please:

The saucer is ROUND. The Sovereign is the only Enterprise that doesn't have a (mostly) round saucer and it should really stay that way.

Also, please look up Adam Ihle's further work on his design and find his nacelles. The ones you are using are too Sovereign-derivative, we need something new and his are quite nice.

And it is his design, after all.