Lt. Commander
# 31
06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Very fascinating to see the design process.

I'm really a fan of the 3/4 field of view, however, I'm not sure I'm going to like the top, side or aft views at all.

Oh well, its not like I cherished every view of the Galaxy or Sov either ^^

Great Work!
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
Indeed, there is so much wrong in this game, including this new Enterprise I'm glad STO isn't canon either.
I was under the impression CBS was counting the FINISHED Enterprise-F as canon . Either way, the ship doesn't look half bad thus far giving it half a chance. And I'm sure it will look really good upon completion. I had the same reactions when the Enterprise-D first came out, but it did grow on me.

Of course, we are all entitled to our opinions .
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-21-2011, 03:15 PM
I was put off just a bit by the drawing, but the 3D render is amazing!

I'd also like to reiterate a few points from above. Bit more Galaxy, bit less Sovereign.

(Honestly it looks pretty snazzy, I'd keep working on the nacelle pylons however.)
Lt. Commander
# 34 Opinions
06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Agree with the design mantra and even the cars that give the inspiration to the mantra... but WHAT is going on in the aft section guys? The part where it's cut inward, where typically, shuttlebays are? That one section just really rubs me wrong on the design, yikes. Hopefully, that will be able to be swapped out. It has no Trek inspiration at all, certainly not from a previous Enterprise.

I know she's meant to explore, but let's face it, the game has us blasting things a LOT... so, where are the weapons on this lady? Has any thought been given to the torpedo launchers and their placement? Or the phaser strips? Lines for each of these weapons are pretty clearly defined in previous incarnations.

Any thought given to Saucer Separation? And where those lines might be? I know they at least had theories for that for the Sovereign Class. This would then beg the question of whether or not there is separate propulsion for the saucer or stardrive sections, and where is this all housed?

Also not warm feelings about the cap over the navigational deflector array... it seems a bit harsh on the painted clay model, but less so on the render. I hope the render wins out.

I really wished that the saucer would not take the cue to become pointy, like so many other Starfleet designs have.

Last gripe on the painted clay model... the dual necks almost look too fat on the fore view, and almost make the nacelle pylons look too far removed from the ship.

I'm sure these are just my opinions... and I'm hopeful the variant options will accommodate them!
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Not sure what Thomas was doing but the change to the deflector and how thick he made the dual neck looks absolutely horrible. I'm sure he worked very hard on it and that effort can be appreciated but even he should have been able to see how much of a deviation it was and that it took away from the elegance of the original design by Adam Ihle.

I think the draft render by Adam Williams recaptures that elegance. I like it.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmor_Branon
I was under the impression CBS was counting the FINISHED Enterprise-F as canon
No. CBS has to approve everything in STO, but it still isnt canon. Being approved does not make something canon
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Shephard
Not sure what Thomas was doing but the change to the deflector and how thick he made the dual neck looks absolutely horrible. I'm sure he worked very hard on it and that effort can be appreciated but even he should have been able to see how much of a deviation it was and that it took away from the elegance of the original design by Adam Ihle.

I think the draft render by Adam Williams recaptures that elegance. I like it.
Pretty much this, I'm glad to read that Adam Williams also realised this and took it back to being more streamlined. Loving the secondary hull btw Adam.
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-21-2011, 03:29 PM
I hate the paint-over, but love the 3D rendering!

The paint-over looks too blocky, and just doesn't flow very well. But the 3D rendering... BEAUTIFUL! It looks great, flows nicely, and looks smooth. (well, at least it dose from the angle we can see. :p) And I also like the thin neck, makes it, to me, look more future-like.

Overall, I like the way they're going with this ship, (in the 3D rendering) can't wait to see the next dev diary!
Lt. Commander
# 39 Agreement
06-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Agree with the others.... more Galaxy, less Sovereign.

The Sovereign lost the sense of awe and majesty that the Galaxy owned, in favor of a stretched out, fast look. With a few more Galaxy cues, this design has the potential to get the right balance between the two...
...like by making the saucer round?
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
The ship is beautiful ignoring the neck. I wasn't a huge fan of the original submission but now that it is painted and the struts have been made thicker the neck is an eyesore. From the original submission that area looked like it was intended to be similar to the nacelle pylons, mostly structural not intended to have long term occupants. You know? just maintenance and turbolift shafts.