Lt. Commander
I am going to post a guide discussing the mechanics of starship weapons and weapon mods. This will include a shorter summary of my previous weapon scaling guide, as well as information about how damage is calculated, what the weapon mods do (and which is best in different situations), etc. However, I'm not sure whether I should post it here in "The Academy" or if it makes more sense to be in "PvE Gameplay" (although it would apply just as much to PvP) or the Shipyards (and there are two shipyards).

I'm looking for anyone's feedback or thoughts on this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-21-2011, 10:08 PM
If you guide is intended for beginners here. If it assumes prior knowledge in pve

but thats just my two cents
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
I would say The Acadamy. That's basically where people go to learn stuff.

Personally, I think there should be a 'User Guides' subforum for all the useful threads players have made since STO went live.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-22-2011, 01:51 PM
If you're going to post a general guide on game mechanics that is faction neutral, and applicable to PvE or PvP, IMHO you should put it right here in The Academy.

+1 for having a game guides subforum or at least sticky'd
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah, we're really starting to run out of space in the Academy. And here I wanted to remove forums so we have more space. Let me see what magicks I can come up with regarding that.

For the question right now: Unless it is very specific (like, a guide on how to decide on gear for your Klingon ships); the Academy is the place for general guides.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Perhaps what we need is not to sticky every guide, but a sticky "Guide to Guides".

This could even reference guides in the other forums. (Say, Fed or Klingon specific)
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-22-2011, 03:44 PM
That's indeed what I am mulling, heh.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayyde
Perhaps what we need is not to sticky every guide, but a sticky "Guide to Guides".

This could even reference guides in the other forums. (Say, Fed or Klingon specific)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, since the Academy is naturally the first place people would look for info when starting out, having an official Sticky with links to useful threads would be great, that way threads can be placed in the relevant forums whilst still been easy to find for new players, At the same time it would keep the number of stickies to a minimum in the Academy area.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-23-2011, 09:55 AM
I mentioned this in another thread:
I don't really want to 'take away' the way I do stickies right now because they allow me to spotlight someone as a helpful community member, too. "Oooh, lookie, Suricata and Blayyde are awesome, they got a sticky!"-type of thing.

You guys do a good job; I think you deserve some spotlight. I'd really rather find another way. :\
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
I mentioned this in another thread:
I don't really want to 'take away' the way I do stickies right now because they allow me to spotlight someone as a helpful community member, too. "Oooh, lookie, Suricata and Blayyde are awesome, they got a sticky!"-type of thing.

You guys do a good job; I think you deserve some spotlight. I'd really rather find another way. :\

Maybe create a new category below the Academy, like "Advanced Academy".

The regular Academy forum will be more for asking newby questions, basic info, and people just getting to know the game.

While the "Adavanced Academy" has info like the Power Calculators and such for those that already have a handle on the basics and want to know EXACTLY how something works.
You could make it that the "Advanced Academy" can ONLY have threads that you or other devs have stickied into it to keep it from getting cluttered but still allow people to ask questions within a specific thread for clarification on the subject.

What else could be helpful? How about a guide or glossary of all the in-game abbreviations that are commonly used on the forums. Like "What does HY3, STF, KB2 mean?? sorry noob question" lol
I am quite frankly still not on intimate terms with these myself.