Lt. Commander
# 1 Taking the Big Leap
06-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Hey guys..

I've just started playing the STO Demo and found it very amusing and interesting. But I'm still quite unsure whether I should buy the lifetime subscription or not (if I'm gonna buy it, i plan on buying the lifetime subscription).

are there some people that are hooked? some people just killing time? some people totally regretting they even bought it but still playing?

I'd also like to hear about *why* you like/dislike this game, as we all have our own likes and dislikes

So yeah, I'd appreciate any feedback on this matter.

Thanks!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-23-2011, 07:44 AM
I was kicking myself that i didn't go for Lifetime right away.
If you are still unsure do it like this.
Postpone the decision.
You have to buy the game anyway and get 30 days of full playtime for free.
No restrictions like in the demo.
If you still like it after 30 days, you can't really go wrong with LTS.
If you are very very lucky you get a promotion sale until then.... They have a 20% discount from time to time, twice in the last year I think.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Being obsessed with the franchise, I picked up the LTS the day it went on sale. I have no regrets. While the game had a rough start, the Devs have worked hard and continue to build it into a premium mmo.

WHAT'S BAD
With that said, however, there is still work to do. Exploration becomes dull after a few days. My explorer spirit doesn't feel sated after doing those missions, espcially in the small ground maps. Scan 5 alien artifacts; kill 5 mobs; scan 5 anomalies. It comes off more as a time sink.

PVP is lacking enough to garner a significant interest. Klingons are like the single stepchild in the family and need more (((HUGZ))) and (((SUGARZ))) from the Devs.

WHAT'S GOOD
Season 4, coming in July, offers some fixes to the above issues. Klingons get a few hugs and a couple of sugars and a pat on the head. And there will be some open PVP maps with PVE objectives.

The artwork is phenomenal. My video settings are maxxed and it's pure eye candy. Alien customization, the ships, the uniforms, maps--both ground and space. Lots of love went into that department.

The Foundry let's players create their own missions and episodes. I'm working on my first episode and hope to have something soon. And for those who know me, it WILL involve Hirogens :p

CONCLUSION
There are other pros and cons, and other folks have various complaints and issues and favorites. If you are a Trek fan and need a Trek fix in the Trek vacuum, you won't regret the LTS. If you're a hardcore MMO gamer, who loves to PWN, you may be disappointed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
When I first started, I signed up for the 6 month subscription, as I didn't feel 30 days was enough time to "feel" my way through the game. Now that I am lifetime, I don't regeret it in the least.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I got a LTS the day prior to lauch last year. Would've gotten it at the start of OB, but winter weather prevented me from doing so.

I don't regret it one bit going LTS with STO. I've thourougly enjoyed the game and the Ten Forward community. Honestly, if it wasn't for the Ten Forward community, I don't think I would have stuck around for more than a few months. Some of the communities here have made this game for me.

About the only dislikes I have in this game are the graphics I have to run to play, but that's am issue on my part on the count of out-dated software.

As a side note on the LTS, a copy of the game is included. See here.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-23-2011, 08:55 PM
I got the LTS only because this is STAR TREK Online. I would not have gotten one for any other reason. That is neither an endorsement nor an indictment of the game. I bought the LTS while the game was installing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-23-2011, 11:53 PM
I started playing in Open Beta. Was unsure about it...but a longtime guild member (one of the founding members of The Argonian Ryders as a matter of fact) was in Closed Beta, and got me to try it out...I'd lost track after Perpetual crapped out....so I was a little leery....

I was immediately hooked. I bought one of the Digital Pre-orders...2 in fact...one for me and one for another friend of mine, who has since stopped playing....

I love this game, and have since the day I first started in Open Beta. However I lost my job last April (2010) and had to cancel....But I scrimped and saved every spare bit of money I got from my unemployment, and other odd jobs I did...until I had the money to buy a lifer acct. Best decision I ever made.

I don't quite remember when I started hanging out in Ten Forward tho....seems like almost since the beginning....Even when I took a break from the game, I'd still come here...Ten Forward has become like an extended family to me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Zero
I got a LTS the day prior to lauch last year. Would've gotten it at the start of OB, but winter weather prevented me from doing so.

I don't regret it one bit going LTS with STO. I've thourougly enjoyed the game and the Ten Forward community. Honestly, if it wasn't for the Ten Forward community, I don't think I would have stuck around for more than a few months. Some of the communities here have made this game for me.

About the only dislikes I have in this game are the graphics I have to run to play, but that's am issue on my part on the count of out-dated software.

As a side note on the LTS, a copy of the game is included. See here.
I heat that!

If it wasn't for Tenforward and our community in general I wouldn't of stayed here as long as I have :-) but frankly I love this game. I always have done. I've found a new lease of life with my Klingon. As much as people criticise the KDF aspect of this game, the differences between now and the dark days at the beginning are huge. They get so much to do now, plus with three feature series to play from and a forth on the way you'll level in no time

Diplomatic Corps, Feature Series, Ground revamp, character customisation - there is lots for everyone to enjoy
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-24-2011, 01:17 AM
I've been here since Open Beta. I still don't have enough cash saved on the side to buy a Lifetime, But I still like the game enough to support it by paying my Monthly dues. I know they haven't done all the repairs or added all the content to it, but I see the possiblities to being a great game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-24-2011, 02:26 AM
I really enjoy the game and never regretted going lifetime. i only wish i had gone sooner. the game is moving in the right direction.

its not the longest game in the world do if your a plays for 12 hours a day for a week kind of person who does not like replaying things or alts then perhaps a monthly sub is best. if your casual, a star trek fan and want to be here for years then a lifetime is a good deal.

just remember you dont have to make the call this very moment. you get 30 days free when you buy a copy of the game so you could test it for a month and see.

sometimes they do offers on lifetime subs ie 20% off so sometimes its just worth waiting a bit, and with the game being bought by another company (or in the process) the lifetime offer may change in the future, so waiting at least a few weeks would be a good idea.