Lt. Commander
# 1 Blizzards, Battle.net??
06-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Hello all,

About ten min ago I received an email account verification request from Blizzards, Battle.net. YET I've never played a Blizzard game (that was on line) before. I've played years worth of SWG, and am an STO lifer.

I clicked the verification link and was directed to Battle.net. It said your email is verified, then offered to let me log on. I tried my STO password, due to the "rumor" about STO and Blizzard, but NO GO.

I'm changing my STO password, and on the phone with Blizzard now.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-23-2011, 11:54 AM
/facepalm

NEVER take those emails seriously. It's a phishing scam trying to get your account information.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
A scam to get your info:p I have had several fake emails sent to me even though I don't play it
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
i sense some1 who just totaly burned himself on the STO discussion forum. Although i could be wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-23-2011, 11:57 AM
o.0

Woohooo. Yes change it quickly.(risk is minimal)

Ok Email scammers send out hundreds of thousands of these things per day.

They know Wow has like 11 million players. The idea is that some of these emails are opened by wow players.
They are the target of this scam.

The emails themselves can be convincing but always have flaws fo example a link might say eu.battle.net
however when you hover your mouse over it you will notice at the bottom of your browser it now says eu.battl.net or someother site they are using to fake being blizzard in an attempt to get your wow account.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Vreenak
06-23-2011, 11:58 AM
*Vreenak* It's a FAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!11!! *Vreenak*
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Yep, some guy created an account under a different name. It's closed already (by Blizzard). So, glad I nipped that in the butt.

However not a bad idea to let everyone know. IF you get the email verification mail, It's a hack!! DO NOT click it. The CS rep with blizzard said this has been happening ALL day too!

So, anywhoo,.. Wish you all long prosperous lives.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
I thought that was obvious. :p

What does practically every company say when you sign up for an account with them? "We will NOT contact you to verify your account details for any reason".
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I get these emails all the time. They're actually pretty entertaining after awhile. Some look convincing, some look like there was no effort put into it and looks too obvious.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-23-2011, 01:13 PM
I guess my software is better at blocking my visibility, or being accessed then some of you guys then. I only get 8-10 junk mails a day, and all are from known sites. Such as Tigerdirect, Classmates.com, a reef web site, and then a few political sites. All the rest are friends, bills. (almost ALL were signed up for)

I always run with a fresh Spybot install, when I load up my PC. Then Avast (free version). Lastly Mozilla, both Firefox and Thunderbird. WITH script blocker!!

After those are installed I don't GET junk mail, or get on the lists FOR junk mail. I'm currently running a full Spybot scan (nothing so far). I just finished a full Avast virus scan (clean).

Believe me when I tell you. I do sometimes visit some "shady" sites. However either SB or Avast has always stopped the site from loading before it was an issue.

SO, I guess this new guy made it past some pretty impenetrable walls, as I've had this email address for 7 years.

(Blame me being out of practice with scam emails too!)

SB says clean as well!