Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
06-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificialx
And part of the reason is the carebear PvE environment most feds are educated in. The moment they step foot in a PvP match their hull explodes from the sheer awesomeness of the other players in the instance, and all they can do is say "wtf?!?!?!" Cry in zone chat, call haxx, and never return.

PvP is almost a whole different game. It's STO on steriods, and many people just aren't up to snuff.

I think overall most feds are casual players who want to put on original series uniforms and dance around in Club 47 talking about if voyager was better than ds9.
It's hilarious when such a player wanders onto the pvp field. Gets popped by a mediocre alpha that anyone of us regular pvpers would normally tank, then runs to the forums screaming how "defiants need a nerf!!!" "this game is not cannon!!"

Get over your rude-awakening, realize pvp is 10 times harder than any pve, practice your skills/learn the mechanics and tactics of you and your opponents, realize us pvpers are actually pretty cool dudes and dudettes after all (even the ones I don't always agree with), and finally have a good time. Best advice I can give to the op, it's all I got..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
06-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
Alright I have posted this numerous times and I will do it again and it does not take player skill into account but is a stone cold lead pipe lock.

Bad PvP build > Good PvE build
Good PvP build> Great PvE build
Great PvP build> All PvE content minus STFs is LOL

A very good PvP build makes all PvE content even more ROFL Stupid easy on Elite.
I reckon even my cat could pwn a Borg cube on elite if I stuffed some catnip in my keyboard.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
06-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroegler
It's hilarious when such a player wanders onto the pvp field. Gets popped by a mediocre alpha that anyone of us regular pvpers would normally tank, then runs to the forums screaming how "defiants need a nerf!!!" "this game is not cannon!!"

Get over your rude-awakening, realize pvp is 10 times harder than any pve, practice your skills/learn the mechanics and tactics of you and your opponents, realize us pvpers are actually pretty cool dudes and dudettes after all (even the ones I don't always agree with), and finally have a good time. Best advice I can give to the op, it's all I got..
I remember the first time I tried a defiant a year or so ago. I thought it was awful. It was so hard to keep targets in your front arc, and I'd usually die within 2 seconds of decloaking. I felt so fragile. I immediately canned the ship and switched to a....you guessed it.....cruiser!!! Got me an Excelsior for the toon. I enjoyed it for a while, but always felt lacking. To be honest I really didn't enjoy much besides sci, who always feels like you are doing something important, directing the flow of battle.

Got to a point where I had PvPd with most ships, and noticed my defiant still sitting there, so I took it for a spin. Well...let's just say the months of practice in other classes had obviously had some effect. I understood, I saw, I did. Now I play by tac/defiant more than any other toon. I still have many hours to catch up to how much sci practice I have had.

But, now its the enemy who needs to be wary they don't die 2s after I decloak.

Say it with me boys

PRACTICE
MAKES
PERFECT
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
06-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificialx
To be honest I really didn't enjoy much besides sci, who always feels like you are doing something important, directing the flow of battle.

Say it with me boys

PRACTICE
MAKES
PERFECT
That's why every single one of my characters, right down to my Tac, is in an RSV. :p

Also, if practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, why practice?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25 Problem
06-24-2011, 07:15 AM
pvp in sto is only 20% in how star trek shows its pvp. PVP in sto has to many control limits and has a timer along with a designated map and space to fight in. Star trek pvp where fought in vast areas of space and sensors went futher then 17km. You could get an idea of the enemy before you had to engage them. the problem is that STO while most wars are in space is treated as if you are on the ground. the targeting function is to the eye seeing. There is no zooming into a ship or object even though these are suppose to be massive star ships with sensors and a whole slew of gadgets to look at another object in space.

When proper writing and proper advisory of space condition as well as some star trek ship design consultant comes on board then we might be able to have some decent real pvp.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
06-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
pvp in sto is only 20% in how star trek shows its pvp. PVP in sto has to many control limits and has a timer along with a designated map and space to fight in. Star trek pvp where fought in vast areas of space and sensors went futher then 17km. You could get an idea of the enemy before you had to engage them. the problem is that STO while most wars are in space is treated as if you are on the ground. the targeting function is to the eye seeing. There is no zooming into a ship or object even though these are suppose to be massive star ships with sensors and a whole slew of gadgets to look at another object in space.

When proper writing and proper advisory of space condition as well as some star trek ship design consultant comes on board then we might be able to have some decent real pvp.
If you're having trouble ascertaining what your enemy is before they enter/get close to firing range, click on the little "i" on the lower left corner of the target information display; that'll pull up all pertinent info about them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
06-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
If you're having trouble ascertaining what your enemy is before they enter/get close to firing range, click on the little "i" on the lower left corner of the target information display; that'll pull up all pertinent info about them.

Thanks now I no longer have to be surprised. And now I know why I always mistake the MVAM for a stargazer. Knowing is half the battle go....errrr Shatner!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
06-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
That's why every single one of my characters, right down to my Tac, is in an RSV. :p

Also, if practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, why practice?
Honestly, I mostly just hit space on my cruiser since most of my personal buffs are macro'ed. It's kinda boring.

My escort is fun, like a suped up nitro breathing sports car with a live Honey Badger strapped on the front.

But my Sci, I feel almost God-like. I don't like where you are? I'll move you. I don't like what you're running? I'll kill it. You healing someone? I'll make you disappear, you too close? I spread you out. Got shields? Not anymore.

It always feels like I'm doing so much more for the flow of the battle using science skills. I just get sad when I see my uber low damage
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
06-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Some one got pwned and raged on forums, nothing new.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
06-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Well it's like, companies have tried the super rigid star trek cannon type mechanics in prior star trek games and failed miserably. The thing about an mmorpg is to be massive you need to reel in the masses. Making things rigid and slow would only lead to strait cookie cutter captains with longer matches than we already have, and some of these are way to long as is! Known to go an hour and a half, for instance, way too long.. We pvpers have lives outside sto.

And despite what the OP thinks, pvp is very hearty and healthy in this game. I'm on at all random hours and rarely have an issue getting a match of any sort. It's an odd moment indeed and usually within the hour the ques fill up again and remain that way.

The klingons could be a little more active but their side of the game also needs a lot more developer lovin, which the developers do realize and are working on.

No one is raging here, but when people see some obvious misinformation when through a lot of experience we know to be wrong of course we're going to try and group together to set the record strait. Pvp is hardly perfect in this game but it's not that far off either. The potential sto has that cryptic has created and is still refining sends shivers down my spine. :p

What's more, everyone will never be happy. But hopefully most of us will.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22 PM.