Lt. Commander
# 11
06-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizonar
overcompensate?

HONORLESS DOG!

Anyway, I believe a modified version of the Vo'quv carrier would be perfect.
Meet me on the fields of battle in whatever ship you fly and ill show you what a late 23rd century starship will do to you....*makes a challenge of it*
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThraxx
Meet me on the fields of battle in whatever ship you fly and ill show you what a late 23rd century starship will do to you....*makes a challenge of it*
Sounds like fun, actually

@rest: And I didn't mean a carrier as carrier... but in the missions Fed side, the 'vo'quv carrier' is often considered, like the Galaxy X, a dreadnaught and was the flagship of a fleet.
Something of similar size, at least, its mentioned in-game around Qo'nos that they think the Vo'quv is pretty awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Ideologically a carrier makes the most sense. Plenty of opportunities for individual glory in the field of battle from a cockpit. Your more senior, wounded or experienced by not quite as quick, and more strategic types hang back and command from behind the front lines. Much as it's portrayed as such, a 50 year old admiral missing an eye should not be out in the thick of it on a fighting ship.

From what we've seen on TV though, Negh'var battleship is sort of it. The vor'cha's and bird of prey's are battlecruisers and something akin to an 18th century frigate respectively. Commerce raiders, great for prize money and hunting down smaller, weaker prey. But when you're looking to play with the big boys, it's the Negh'Var style. If I were to draw historical parallels, the vor'cha is like the Hood, fast, proportionally well armoured and gunned, but a heavier ship would stand up better in an exchange of fire (see, bismarck). Step it up a notch, and you have the Yamato/Negh'var style. Not as fast, but really hard to bring down in a fight.

Here, I think, unlike the federation and DTNE you have a lot more flexibility. The big negh'var and vor'cha's are both inspired from the same basic, but much less specific form. A long centre line main gun, with two nacelles on wings - and beyond that sort of have at it.

The Qu'daj looks like it would make a viable start to a carrier (even though itself is a battleship). Invert the nacelles, mounts some point defence hardpoints on the hammerhead and put a fighter bay or two down the centre line with frigate docks on the main hull near the engines.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm gonna laugh if one of the mods moves this thread to the klingon shipyard forum to be buried w/ the rest of the klingon dreams....
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-24-2011, 12:20 AM
A super-carrier that can spit out Vo'Quvs?

One from each hanger bay, up to a maximum of 3 per hanger bay.

Rofl
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Honestly would love something of a merger between carrier and heavy cruiser. Like a new breed of klingon ship. Obviously a VERY heavy cruiser with the ability to launch fighters and still bring some heavy bloody firepower to burn their enemies with. like seriously the first time we saw the neghvar...those ships inspired awe...now the klingons need something new a hybrid the best of carriers with the best of a dreadnaught. something to make their enemies surrender without a fight.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnLogan
In your opinion, what class of ship would be an ideal KDF Flagship vessel? Lets say hypothetically there were a similar contest to the DTNE contest except for the KDF faction, which class of ship would be ideal?

Unofficial!, hypothetical. This post in no way means this will actually happen - EVER. I'm in no position to do such things... I am, however - as a fan - in a position to ask this community this question

Discuss:
Traditionally, the Klingon Flagships were Battlecruisers.
  • Gorkon's ship, Qo'nos One, was a K'T'inga Battlecruiser.
  • K'mpec's was a Vor'cha Battlecruiser.
  • Gowron's first flagship was a Vor'cha and later he replaced it with the newer Negh'var Battlecruiser.
  • In the Mirror Universe, Regent Worf's flagship was in a Super Negh'var.
  • And Martok's (well fake Martok) flagship, the I.K.S. Negh'var, was a flagship for the Klingon fleet during the brief war with the Federation.

But now in STO, you got the Vo'Quv Carriers, which are massive command ships and are regarded as flagships. Notably the I.K.S. Kaarg in the Klingon Scout Force Fleet Action as well as the I.K.S. Chang with the Gamma Orionis Fleet.

Personally, as a fan of the Klingon Empire, I really hope the Battlecruiser Flagship tradition is retained.

If by some stroke of luck and CBS blesses us with a Klingon Ship Design contest, I would really love it if I can enter my Qib'elth-Class Battlecruiser. Of course, I don't think I'd be legally elligable to enter due to me being one of the Enterprise-F Contest's runner ups.

(BTW, I updated the Bridge Area on my ship. So it's much meaner than in this picture).
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-24-2011, 12:24 AM
An evolution from this.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-24-2011, 12:32 AM
I'd really like to see something sexy and dirty like a new take of the Regent's Flagship. Something massive, but still a battle cruiser. I'd really hate to see the flagship of the KDF be a carrier that gets bi-annual nerf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I'm gonna laugh if one of the mods moves this thread to the klingon shipyard forum to be buried w/ the rest of the klingon dreams....
Wishy's spidy senses are already buzzing. :p

Edit: BTW thanks logan for taking some time to get some feedback on this hypothetical flagship. I won't hold my breath, but I appreciate your enthusiasm.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I'd make it a cruiser. A carrier, historically, sure. But I think carriers make more sense in the kind of era when the KDF has more allies than enemies and go against the "hail mary" "suicide rush" tactics that I think would motivate the Klingons in a flagship. I could actually see their flagship being a death sentence where a General gets a boat full of convicts eager to redeem themselves and goes on nothing but suicide missions until it manages to blow up in battle. Rinse, repeat.

With that in mind, I'd say a cruiser. You want it durable enough to survive in hostile terrain but the kind of thing it doesn't hurt to blow up once every few months.

In terms of the look?

Start with something like an Excelsior in that it has a boat shaped primary hull but amped up into something that's a cross between a Roman galley ship and a Viking ship. It has something like a saucer but instead of an oval jutting forward, it's a tongue depresser shape jutting backward over the primary hull. Big Bird of Prey wings jutting down from the Boat/Primary hull portion, maybe with a bit of a bat shape to them.

Four nacelles, two on the rear and two at the ends of the wings. This is an assault cruiser type configuration and should be a quick and maneuverable cruiser.