Lt. Commander
# 41
06-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
In Starfleet Academy, did you ever try to fight the Excelsior with a Ber'taa in a custom battle? You couldn't kill it! I once tried three Ber'taas (maximum 3 a side I think) against a single npc Excelsior and the damn thing wouldn't ever die!
hard crust, weak shell... It's weak spot is it's belly... Fly down there, and keep rotating the shield face, and you can take it out even in a miranda.
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Carriers serve the purpose of launching and recovering fighters and other support craft, supporting other smaller ships in a battlegroup, and acting as flagship and providing command and control. Normally, I wouldn't see another carrier type ship possible unless the devs are going to phase out the Vo'Quv in favor of the new ship, but the Klingons have pressed into service the Kar'Fi battle carrier. Hypothetically speaking, if it was going to be a carrier, then it needs to have something about it that really sets it apart, but I don't think that a whole bunch of carrier classes would be a good idea for the KDF fleet, especially since we can get different variants of the Vo'Quv already.

Another gun ship is the best option in my opinion. We need to either go big or go home on this one. Instead of another battlecruiser, we need to go for a full blown battleship. The Negh'Var is the only ship that qualifies, but the design is over 40 years old and we need something new, especially with the upcoming Borg invasion. If we are going to prevent the assimilation of the Gorn homeworld (like May's ask Cryptic was talking about), then we need something that can really take the fight back to the Borg. The KDF is operating the 25th century equivalent of a pre-WWII navy while the Borg are flying around in Yamatos. I think its time for the KDF to get Iowas (figuratively speaking) to counter the Borg threat. The Borg have been adapting to us for years, isn't it about time that we show them how well we can adapt?
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-24-2011, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnLogan
In your opinion, what class of ship would be an ideal KDF Flagship vessel? Lets say hypothetically there were a similar contest to the DTNE contest except for the KDF faction, which class of ship would be ideal?
A large carrier makes sense.
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-24-2011, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
disagree, doesn't fit the typical Klingon mind set.
a carrier is a support vessel. the Klingon flagship MUST be a "ship of the line"
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-24-2011, 02:35 AM
The flagship's in Startrek are always some kind of Cruiser, and they definitely should be in STO and for the KDF as well.

A continuation of the Cruiser lines - front section, long neck, wings, nacelles that hang down threatening, equipped with guns, impulse section on top. I could see something like the weapon pods sometimes found on Neg'Var variants in the shows as well.

Make it look elegant, aerodynamic, majestic. The wings should show some detail to them, but more in the direction of the Neg'Var and not its STO variant skin.

The Vagh linked by Z3R0B4NG is also one of my favorite KDF fan designs.

Under no circumstances a Carrier. I would prefer to be tempted to fly that thing, and if it's a Carrier, that is very unlikely.
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
I also disagree, I've always been dissapointed that Klingons have carriers as their top level ships, personally I think they should have some serious battleships, carriers seems much more like what the Federation would go for.

So for me I'd like a damn big battleship, battlecruiser, or heavy assault cruiser
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Another Vote for Voquv. My favorite ship in the game

Definitely a Carrier class, if not the Voquv, then the next iteration.
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-24-2011, 02:57 AM
i think it should be a super carrier. as seen in todays naves the carrier is the flag and even the battleships are suporting it. the battleship had its day but when the carriers came it was gone with the big guns and in with the fighters.

in ww2 the japs took some britesh land and they then sent a crouiser and the battleship prince of waills to fight the japs but they where sunk by carrier bomers and never sunk a *** ship so to me it looks like the carrier for the win. today most fights you wont even see the enemy as the carriers fighters will take out the enemy fleet all on their own.

the klingons dont think big guns they think what will win this fight and crush their enemys. in sto the fight will be in 10km so the carrier dose not look to good but if it had some kind of big armemints and large shields it could be with the fleet when they fight and with its size you could put some really big guns on it just like a battleship.
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-24-2011, 03:37 AM
The Negh'var is pretty much the perfect design for a klingon flagship already.
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-24-2011, 03:41 AM
A HUGE bop that is capable of launching Vo'Qov and Vorsha class ships! (yes a super huge, mamoth sized bop!)