Lt. Commander
# 1 U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F
06-24-2011, 02:45 AM
Just sitting here thinking of the TNG movies. And then I compare the run of the TOS shows and movies. The Constitution class and its Uprated version got one hell of a long run. That ship proved it was the best design to ever come along. It was tough as nails...battle hardened.

The Galaxy had a good run but in the end I think was a failure. It was a grand idea to carry the crew's family into space but ultimately was proven to be a mistake in the many losses the class suffered over its run.

Now we move to the Sovereign. A true battleship if there ever was one. Why was her run so short? I feel like this class is probably the best design ever to come out in the path of the cruiser type Starfleet vessels.

Now we're moving towards the class-yet-to-be-named that is shown as the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F. The ship will be the most advanced in Starfleet's arsenal. How long will it hold the top spot? Will this ship turn out to be just a bauble on the tree of the Federation?

As the game moves on into its maturaty, it's a valid guess that the devs will want to create new ships and new ship classes. Will the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F go into mothballs in a few years of real time to be replaced by yet another ship...U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-G?

Tell me what YOU think.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-24-2011, 02:53 AM
The Sovereign didn't get a short run. The Enterprise-E still technically exists somewhere out there until they dispose of it and roll out the new one. It's been in service for thirty-seven years, almost certainly the longest active service of any Enterprise to date.

The original ran 40 years, but not in continuous service, it's motion picture appearances had it in and out of mothballs, plus the time out of service for the refit. Its the only ship in the series that can match the E's tour of duty.

The A only went for seven years, the D for eight. We don't know for sure how long the B or C was in service, but there was only a 70 year gap from the B's launch to the D's, so at best one or the other could match the E's time in service. The B has the best chance. The C's service was cut short in battle.

Thirty-seven years is hardly a short run in the Enterprise family.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-24-2011, 03:14 AM
I think the OP is referring more to screen time than in-universe time, and I have to agree on that count.

I would really like to see the 1701-E and Data in action again before it's retired. Using major characters is expensive, though. But maybe, with the 45th anniversary coming up, CBS, Paramount, and Spiner could cut some sort of deal for a big event. One can dream...
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-24-2011, 03:47 AM
we don't even need spiner, toss someone new on the bridge "ohh Data's moved on"

I mean given that he took command sometime in 2384 or so assumeing he's still in command now thatd be a 25 year long stretch in command.

which when you consider the breaks he took to serve in the admirality likely would be more time in command of a ship named Enterprise then even Kirk.

it's VERY possiable that starfleet would rather a captain be promoted off the ship before that happens.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-24-2011, 03:48 AM
As STO is only soft cannon I doubt this new ship will overide the soveriegn class featured in the movies/series. If there ever is a new series.

Just wish they could have created something on par with DS9, instead we got enterprise (its was ok but I like a progresive series not one set in the past) and the awfull render by JJ Abrams (dont worry not gonna go into that!)
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
Just sitting here thinking of the TNG movies. And then I compare the run of the TOS shows and movies. The Constitution class and its Uprated version got one hell of a long run. That ship proved it was the best design to ever come along. It was tough as nails...battle hardened.
I think this is more a matter of Starfleet's organisation reflected in the design. At the time ship were essentially on their own with little support so the Constitution class was designed from the ground up to be very independent. For its time it was certainly formidable.

Quote:
The Galaxy had a good run but in the end I think was a failure. It was a grand idea to carry the crew's family into space but ultimately was proven to be a mistake in the many losses the class suffered over its run.
I don't think that alone would qualify the class as failure. The Galaxy class is really build along similar lines to the Constitution. A highly independent vessel capable of providing a "single ship taskforce". Equipped with the best in defensive armaments for its time, ships of this class were only really equalled by the Romulan Warbird.

Quote:
Now we move to the Sovereign. A true battleship if there ever was one. Why was her run so short? I feel like this class is probably the best design ever to come out in the path of the cruiser type Starfleet vessels.
I think that's only an impression given because the ship has only appeared in three films and didn't have a series. The Enterprise E has, by all account been in service for over 20 years.

Quote:
Now we're moving towards the class-yet-to-be-named that is shown as the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F. The ship will be the most advanced in Starfleet's arsenal. How long will it hold the top spot? Will this ship turn out to be just a bauble on the tree of the Federation?
Military technology always progresses at an accelerated pace in war time. It is possible that a more advanced class will emerge. With the exception of the NX-01 none of the Enterprise ships have been the first of their class, so it is unlikely that the Enterprise F will be unique.

Quote:
As the game moves on into its maturaty, it's a valid guess that the devs will want to create new ships and new ship classes. Will the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F go into mothballs in a few years of real time to be replaced by yet another ship...U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-G?
Generally the lifespan of a class is measured in decades. Unless the F is somehow destroyed I would not expect to see the G in game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-24-2011, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
Just wish they could have created something on par with DS9, instead we got enterprise (its was ok but I like a progresive series not one set in the past) and the awfull render by JJ Abrams (dont worry not gonna go into that!)
Personally I was hoping for something like a Star Trek version of Firefly. Granted that's not really in keeping with the Roddenberry agenda, but the underworld of the Star Trek universe has always seemed a very deep pool that the writers have only dipped the occasional toe into.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-24-2011, 04:16 AM
Quote:

The TNG Movie run was so short because they felt the need to turn Star Trek TNG into action movies and Mr. Diplomacy himself Captian Picard was turned into Bruce Willis, ripping his Shirt off and beating the bad guys in the face + big explosion to walk away from in slow motion.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-24-2011, 04:21 AM
I would like to see the E in action in game before it is commissioned. But really, what reason would Data want or need to not be in command of the Enterprise? He is pretty much immortal, and he never ages. If they are going to show the Big EE one last time, they better have Data!
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidy View Post
I would like to see the E in action in game before it is commissioned. But really, what reason would Data want or need to not be in command of the Enterprise? He is pretty much immortal, and he never ages. If they are going to show the Big EE one last time, they better have Data!
Actually Data does age, his programming is set up to mimic the natural aging progress of a human. Not to say that he will die, or that he cant change that programing.