Lt. Commander
# 221
07-12-2009, 04:51 AM
You should read this thread (and the linked references/citations themselves). You can already do that. You keep every ship that you get. You'll always be able to get one of your older ships "out of the hangar" so to speak to give her a proverbial drive around the neighborhood.
Lt. Commander
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes....
Will the races of the star fleet battles game be included?
How much variation in ship design will be allowed?
Will they all be based on Fed or Klingon hull standards or will there be basic component options like scaucers, spars, cylinders, spheres, and cubes?
Will created races or even established races have advantages or disadvantages based of culture or physiology?
Will there be R&D for new systems or weapons like the stasis field generator, engine doubling or redundant defenses like shields and energized armor hull plating?
Would in be possible to renounce affiliations and become independent allowing trade across political borders or like the Orion cartels in SFB that span borders for defensive reasons?
I think thats enough questions to start with for now. Thanks for the effort in developing the star trek online universe.
Lucifer
Lt. Commander
# 223
07-15-2009, 05:28 PM
The more I read this site the more I LOVE THE DEV TEAM!!! I wasn't a big fan of city of heroes and I am sorry lol.
But I wouldn't trust my beloved star trek with just anyone so let me tell you THESE DEVS HAVE IT GOING ON!! Keep doing a good job! I can't disagree with anything I've seen or read. Hope to see you all in space! Qapla!!!
Lt. Commander
# 224
07-17-2009, 05:47 PM
So when is the game coming out and when do we get to try it cos i am dying to try it ive been watching and waiting on this website for ages and not noticed anything just like the stargate one and am beginning to think that both games are never coming out
Lt. Commander
# 225
07-17-2009, 06:21 PM
it has been a wile shens ive done this

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes....

Will the races of the star fleet battles game be included?

all the main canon races will be included, the game being soft cannon at best i would say no, but fear not the race creatior will allow you to recreat thim in the image you chose

How much variation in ship design will be allowed?

this is cryptic, varaity and customazation is what they do, im guessing to expect at least a 100,000 uniqe designs per class

Will they all be based on Fed or Klingon hull standards or will there be basic component options like: scaucers, spars, cylinders, spheres, and cubes?

no sorry you cant fly a sphere, but for example in a standerd fed class you have the scaucer neacells pylons hull and bridge

Will created races or even established races have advantages or disadvantages based of culture or physiology?

yes the established have a set pro v con set up and created races will have there own based on the stats you give them

Will there be R&D for new systems or weapons like the stasis field generator, engine doubling or redundant defenses like shields and energized armor hull plating?

yes and it is a clorabitive effort so make friends

Would in be possible to renounce affiliations and become independent allowing trade across political borders or like the Orion cartels in SFB that span borders for defensive reasons?

no

I think thats enough questions to start with for now. Thanks for the effort in developing the star trek online universe.

Lucifer
Lt. Commander
# 226
07-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi, i was just wonder what ships will be available? Are all the federation ships be on the game? One ship that should be on the Game is the Insignia Class.
Lt. Commander
# 227
08-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLuckPikerd
So with the Khitomer Accords now in shambles and the Klingons at a high state of aggression, we won't be able to procure cloaking abilities why? It's not like it would be a step off canon.

The excuse of "that's all anyone would use" is not settling well with me, as Klingons will do exactly that. I am not happy with this statement at all.

Someone please help me understand why this is a good thing.

As for the rest of the Q&A, awesome read. Thanks for answering the communities questions!
Because I didn't see anything that The Treaty of Algeron ended between The Federation and the Romulan Empire. And I was wondering when we would be able to see the ship specs for the Tahoe Class?
Lt. Commander
# 228
01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
This game is set after the destruction of the Romulan homeworld (i.e. Romulus), as in in the latest Star Trek...what is that? 11? 12? Anyway, so there is no actual unified Romulan Star Empire anymore. In some of the vids I've seen, I've noticed D'deridex and Valdrore class warbirds in formation with Dominion vessels which seems to suggest that the two defeated empires have kissed and made up. And this...this alarms me greatly. I fear and dread the day a Dominion and Romulan faction appear...who am I kidding? I'd kill to get my hands on a Dominion Cruiser or a D'deridex, just my Fed PC will not like it at all...nope...no, he will not.

While I do reluctantly concede to Cryptic's wisdom in regards to not allowing the Federation a permanent cloaking device, there is technically nothing stopping the Federation from having them. The Feds don't have a "no cloaking tech" treaty with the Klingons (Do they? My Trek lore's gone downhill.) and with the Romulans picking themselves up off the floor (figuratively) as seems to be the case, I dare say that while still a very real, very powerful and highly motivated threat, the Romulans aren't going to cry foul if the Federation skunk works coughs up some sort of cloaking device.

I DO however, suggest a compromise to Cryptic...Active Camoflage? No where near as perfect as a cloak, you can still make out the distortion created by the device (like the affect in Predator or HALO) so a vessel would be easier to pick up visually if moving, not so much if static. Also, unlike a cloaking device, if a vessel with said suggested device got close enough, even a drunken, half asleep, senile Klingon captain (aka new guy) would be able to target the foolish Fed and fire a full salvo at him or her.

And to make things just that little more even, and to discourage a Federation cloaked ambush (which is never their style - they're the "When I come at you, it won't be from the side, it'll be front on and you'll be armed" kind of guys), in conjuction with being so close that you can be targetted, the Fed ships shields are offline (hence even a tier 1 BoP can inflict a fair chunk of damage to a tier 5 battlecruiser's hull) and once combat is initiated - by either party - the active cam cannot be activated (as all power would theoretically be redistributed to weapons, shields and engines).

And, for example, only a very skilled Science Officer (BO or PC) can gain access to this device. His/her ability in said device affects from what distance your ship become visible (from just outside weapons range to point blank for example). But, I'm guessing unlike a cloak (of which I know very little about), the time required to redistribute energy to combat systems would naturally be a tad longer so there'll be no drop cloak and fire, it'll be more a case of a Fed captain going "Hmmmm, I should "drop cloak" (generic term but it sounds better than dropping cam...what did Cam ever do to you?) now so by the time they get to me my shields and weapons will be of use". And they can always time it wrong and get pummeled - they won't make the same mistake twice...well...they might.

Anyway, I'm rambling like there's no tomorrow. I'll be the eccentric cruiser captain spouting random sayings and be at all stop in the middle of the sector map dancing the boogie on my bridge if anyone wants to join me...
Lt. Commander
# 229 playing federation
01-08-2010, 08:44 PM
If you decide to play as the federation, will you be able to get a cloaking device for your ship? or is cloaks only for the romulans and klingons?
Lt. Commander
# 230 Open Beta Thread?
01-09-2010, 10:23 PM
You know what? I have been cruising thru this thread and have noticed something. First - the questions asked were definite and pertinent about several aspects of the game that players are interested in BEFORE they buy and play it. The answeres, obviously, are structured in the best light for the company but contained solid and useful information on those subjects.

Second - There is a strange lack of trolls and flamers here! They must be off annoying other threads. Almost everybody is posting things and ideas of interest, either negative or positive. And....guess what? We are acting like an Open Beta Thread, going over the data supplied and looking for holes, loopholes, suggestions, tactics and playability. It's great! I would be willing to bet that the Devs are giving this thread a much closer look than most. This thread could be extremely valuable to them in evaluating what they already have and mabey examining and expanding ideas that they are considering (including I believe a few they might not have thought about). This is well done folks and I hope it keeps up! I think the Devs will agree as well.

In line with this I understand that we will have a tutorial in Fed ships/ground forces then very quickly be given our choice to go Klingon. I would like to be sure that we can create alts (I have altitis and I want several captains and ships and I want to try Klingons as well and I want to create my own race and....well you see the point of my question. How many character slots FED/KLINGON will we have, in total and separately?

Added on: Here is a canon example of balance - The science of seatbelts was lost somewhere in the 21st century!

Also, will the One server one universe system, like Champions, be totally instanced with many different shards to even out the population problems many other games have had? Champions has this "instanced world" and I can't say I like it a lot. The total universe all players system of EVE is pretty good. Not a game breaker but, I am hopeful. Enough, I am going to keep on reading this thread now, see you all soon I hope (if WalMart delivers my codes on time - another thread not so good)