Lt. Commander
# 21
06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Nice information! I'm 100% going to go Klingon now. Be plenty of PvP with houses fighting and fighting the Federation
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Aw man, there go my dreams of owning a cloaking Defiant
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLuckPikerd
So with the Khitomer Accords now in shambles and the Klingons at a high state of aggression, we won't be able to procure cloaking abilities why? It's not like it would be a step off canon.

The excuse of "that's all anyone would use" is not settling well with me, as Klingons will do exactly that. I am not happy with this statement at all.

Someone please help me understand why this is a good thing.

As for the rest of the Q&A, awesome read. Thanks for answering the communities questions!
Cloaks are banned because of the Treaty of Algeron not the Khitomer Accords.

Now if we end up at war with the Romulans then it will make no sense. The fact that thereís no planet left to sneak up on in the first place makes sticking with the Treaty of Algeron already hard enough to make sense of but it is what it is.

I think they kept it on one side because theyíre worried it might be 80% Federation 20% Klingon at launch and this will help even it out. Iím not thrilled with it but itís not an unrealistic concern.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't mind cloaking being out for Feds. I think it will make the game more interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreachAndClear View Post
I thought the bit about the houses was particularly interesting. I recall hearing a long time ago it was mentioned somewhere that they were looking into implementing the different Klingon Houses into the game, but I honestly didn't think it would happen; at least not to the extent that they can PvP. I really didn't think it would happen because there really isn't a Federation equivalent. It's good to see that they decided to implement the Klingon Houses but without making a compromise and introducing a Federation equivalent that wouldn't make any sense.
I'm assuming they did it for much the same reason they didn't give the Federation cloaking technology; so they'll play different. It is better to have the reason you want to play another faction being game play mechanics than a cosmetic one.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM
One thing I would have liked to have heard/been informed about would be the ability to do missions outside the houses, or if you are Orion, you do not get tangled in with the Klingon Houses.... Would the Orion's be fighting within their own syndicate for control/against traitors and so forth, and thus same for the many other factions. Will a Orion, or one of the other member factions, be able to fly Klingon ships, orion ships, Nausscian ships, or Gorn ships? If I had a choice could I never fly a Klingon ship, or any of the others for that matter? Or will Klingon vessels be the standard and every now and then an Orion, Naussician, or Gorn vessel become available?
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Quote:
First of all, the Constitution is in-game and playable. Itís an older ship, so itís no match for a Galaxy class ship, but itís in there. Youíll be able to command older ships, but as you get access to bigger ships like the Galaxy and the Sovereign classes, the Constitution will be outperformed.
Sweet!

Who cares if she's old and outperformed. The Connie is like a classic Mustang, it's about riding in style!

Quote:
The difference between a Defiant and Prometheus isnít really that much. You can play either one and be just as effective in the endgame. The difference is some of the higher-end ships give you more options. The Prometheus class ship has access to all different types of items and weapons and technologies that the Defiant doesnít have access to. That doesnít necessarily make it better; it just gives you more options to choose from. So if youíre not interested in anti-proton weapons or certain technologies, youíll be fine staying in the Defiant class ship.
Interesting! Wouldn't think the Defiant would be put in the same class as the Prometheus. But makes sense the Promi would have more room for more options, given her size.

Quote:
And as we add more ships into the game, weíll be sticking to this approach. The ships will broaden out rather than get prohibitively deep. Weíre trying to do that so people can hold onto their favorite ships.
Curious, how many ship classes you plan on having on each side? Right now, you revealed over 25 Starfleet Vessels, and only 4 or 5 Klingon.

Quote:
For instance, a slow-moving, large plasma torpedo is something youíll be able to shoot out of the sky. You wonít be able to shoot smaller photon torpedoes; you canít dodge standard projectiles.

But youíll be able to rescue your friends in other ways. You will be able to eject your warp plasma and ensnare the people that fly through it, which means people will be able to fly around it to avoid it. Youíll be able to repair friendly ships, transfer shield power to another ship or capture foes in a tractor beam.
You sure are giving us lots of options. Combat sounds interesting. Though still be nice to have fighting in 3D. :p

Quote:
However, if youíre a Klingon, youíll be able to have houses, and Klingons can squabble between other Klingons.
Haha, now that sounds fun!

Quote:
That said, there probably will be circumstances where Federation players will receive limited access to a cloaking device. But itís not going to be something Federation players can hold onto.
Which means that one of the planets we will be fighting over, in the Neutral Zone will have Cloaking Technology.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
theres no reason why the devs cant break the mould of the traditional faction vs faction MMO. look at ********...each faction is exactly the same! same classes, same powers, same abilities etc. The one diff they had with shammy vs pally was removed in TBC when they decided it would be good to include those classes in the opposite faction...makes for very boring and repeated gameplay IMO

putting in the klingon infighting creates an immediate and UNIQUE draw to play the klingon side. They already have cloak as one of their key tactical differences, now they have a racial difference

there does not need to be a Fed equivilent for the game to be fun...Federation vessels might be more powerful class for class than klingon ships. Klingons make up for it by having cloaking tech, so pvp balance in that respect can be achieved

the devs may choose to do something for the fed faction equally as unique, but it doesnt have to be the same gameplay mechanic
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-23-2009, 03:57 PM
This post makes me moist.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-23-2009, 04:03 PM
interting tidbits about the klingons there. sounds like even though they will be outnumbered in terms of players there will be stuff balancing them. more combat emphasis.

the stuff about the ships sounded interesting. it sounds like what i said in another thread. if you want a "star rek" expereince and to do lots of different stuff like they do in the shows (Exploration, Science, Diplomacy, First Contact, Rescues, Combat, Mysteries) then your gonna need one of the big exploror ships to have an even spread of equipment, abilities. plus they have basicly said, the bigger the ship, the bigger the crew you have to draw on. as in my above point.