Lt. Commander
# 31
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3tonymetpolice
interting tidbits about the klingons there. sounds like even though they will be outnumbered in terms of players there will be stuff balancing them. more combat emphasis.

the stuff about the ships sounded interesting. it sounds like what i said in another thread. if you want a "star rek" expereince and to do lots of different stuff like they do in the shows (Exploration, Science, Diplomacy, First Contact, Rescues, Combat, Mysteries) then your gonna need one of the big exploror ships to have an even spread of equipment, abilities. plus they have basicly said, the bigger the ship, the bigger the crew you have to draw on. as in my above point.
What I got from it was something like, obviously Sovereigns and Prommies will decimate all the other ships in terms of arse kicking power, the smaller ships have a role too. Science ships for example to find pesky klingons. I like that.

I'm glad if I'm playing in a smaller science/medical ship I won't be neglected from PVP because of that. Well Done devlets.
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
thank you and nice post.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-23-2009, 04:13 PM
That was a really good ask Cryptic, they were great questions. In house pvp for the Klingons is a great touch i'm glad they're putting the effort in to make the Klingon faction totally different. As a fed i'm glad we won't have a cloak it's going to keep the tension in the combat just like the old movies.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3tonymetpolice
the stuff about the ships sounded interesting. it sounds like what i said in another thread. if you want a "star rek" expereince and to do lots of different stuff like they do in the shows (Exploration, Science, Diplomacy, First Contact, Rescues, Combat, Mysteries) then your gonna need one of the big exploror ships to have an even spread of equipment, abilities. plus they have basicly said, the bigger the ship, the bigger the crew you have to draw on. as in my above point.
True but if you want to excel in one of those fields we'll probably be better off going with a specialized ship rather than a Galaxy jack of all trades master of none type.
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
good stuff cryptic!

too bad about no "line of fire". there were many instances where ships got between the enemy and their target.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgoodfel View Post

Thanks for answering my question. This answer makes me so happy I would explode. I was worried that you would give cloaking to all the ships and I agree that isn't ST. I am also happy that the Feds will have a good counter because cloaks being a I win button is not fun. However, that just means that thous science ships have a large target painted on them now
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNerd View Post
Will cloak be like “sneak” in some games where once you’ve been spotted you can’t go back into it? Because if not being in a federation science ship is going to get you killed really quick.

They’ll be tactically weaker than anyone else involved and the only thing between Klingons being able to successfully cloak or not. That’s a pretty big bull’s-eye to wear into a fight.

I like addition of the names with the questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNerd View Post
Cloaks are banned because of the Treaty of Algeron not the Khitomer Accords.

Now if we end up at war with the Romulans then it will make no sense. The fact that there’s no planet left to sneak up on in the first place makes sticking with the Treaty of Algeron already hard enough to make sense of but it is what it is.

I think they kept it on one side because they’re worried it might be 80% Federation 20% Klingon at launch and this will help even it out. I’m not thrilled with it but it’s not an unrealistic concern.
Algaron. That's right, I get them two mixed up for some reason. However, the Romulan's empire is in ruins and the government that signed that treaty doesn't even exist now. So again, wouldn't see it as stepping off canon.

All of you have made great points, and I am going to make some points keeping it in the context of the game, specifically the PvP part.

So, the only place this is really going to have any significance is in PvP situations. I think we can all agree on that. With that being said, you think now about your wessel that you want to go into combat with. I do not know about you guys, but I do not want to be caught deep in the NZ with a ship that can "scan" the hell out of something. I want one that can blast the hell out of something.

Soooo, you want people to PvP but you give one side a massive advantage, and force the other side to have to come in to battle with a crutch.

Not to mention that probably the majority of people who choose science wessels are going to lean towards PvE and leave very slim pick'ns for those who will need the services of the science ships.

Another possibility, this decision is going to force people to play something they do not want to play to help out their fleet. That isn't fun, that's a chore. I just see this decision causing a huge imbalance. Especially if science wessels are the only ships that can detect cloaked ships.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Really liked this one. Lots of really nice tidbits. Especially liked the part about the ship classes not becoming totally worthless as you advance... just the new ships are able to mount newer tech on them. Want this game. WANT IT.
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-23-2009, 04:32 PM
obviously we have to wait to see what happens to the Romulan "Empire" but lets be frank they are now a third rate power, IF they allie with federation or simply cease to exist (reunification happens) why on earth does the Federation not have Cloacking tech. We know for a FACT that federation has actually designed a better cloak then that of the Romulans. I just hope youve installed the appropriate sensor arrays etc. in pvp zones because all pvp will end up with a fleet of klingon vessels cloaked waiting for the odd federation vessel to come near.
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Like everything but the Connies being in game...that's like Halo having a musket....plain stupid and nothing but fan service and totally illogical given the era of the game...might as well give me an Uzi instead of a phaser...
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
Like everything but the Connies being in game...that's like Halo having a musket....plain stupid and nothing but fan service and totally illogical given the era of the game...might as well give me an Uzi instead of a phaser...
Ahh but it isnt about function. With a Connie in yer stable its like...having that 67 Cadillac (A Cadillac with Warp Drive) that you had restored sittin in your garage. Ya only take it for a spin on a Friday night or Sunday morning, just for the sheer joy of it. If something happens along the way, all the more adventure and fun!