Lt. Commander
# 31
06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Reduced ticket sales was meaningless to bring up, his arguement was that going to see a movie is as much a waste of money as buying virutal items is. Now you go and declare that going to movies is not a relevant comparison since most ppl just wait and buy the DVD/BD... of course to that statement my first thought was BS, I would imagine (and I in no way researched it at all) that most wait to rent it or VOD it as opposed to waste money buying a DVD/BD on yet another Rehashed storyline with new names attached to it from hollywood, but that is another debate all together.
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Pretty much, the only MMOs historically to shut down were bankrupt at launch; the only exception I can think of being Matrix Online.
eh? not really. theres been more than a few that shut down over the years for various reasons.

Quote:
Yeah even Meridan 59 still has one server up and going
three servers actually (2 official, 1 run by a German company). not counting the handful of pirate servers that are still around. personally I don't see it lasting that much longer. its now the same 20 people in the same war thats lasted since 1996, constantly cheating, hacking and broadcasting bs.

Quote:
Virtual items have no permanance and no worth. Access to them can be taken away by a whim - with NO legal recourse for the purchaser.
no. there have been several people that successfully sued companies over ownership of various virtual items. overall its still a grey area

Quote:
Is it to late to sell off stuff?
I would think so. nobody in their right mind would buy anything given that the game has a few months left
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
no. there have been several people that successfully sued companies over ownership of various virtual items. overall its still a grey area
Interesting. I knew about a few legal cases where virtual theft between players was regarded as material - in Europe as well as further afield.

As for players suing companies; do you refer to Bragg v. Linden, or are there any other examples?
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Well I can't say I didn't see this coming, but I figured they would switch to F2P once TOR was out. I guess Lucas told them to pack it up, and give the game a good ending.

I hope any new MMOs that come down the line, will copy the crafting system from SWG. That is still the best of the best that I have seen.
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Cedric View Post
Well I can't say I didn't see this coming, but I figured they would switch to F2P once TOR was out. I guess Lucas told them to pack it up, and give the game a good ending.

I hope any new MMOs that come down the line, will copy the crafting system from SWG. That is still the best of the best that I have seen.
Well, SoE is still runnig the Browser based Clone Wars MMO for them, so I have a feeling SOE got or will be gettinbg a lot of compensation or other things for amicably shutting down SWToR and saying good things publically about a competitor's product "(eg Smedley's comment of "I think SWToR will be a great game..., etc.")

As for people wondering why Lucas Arts is wanting to shut down SWG - they poured toons of cash into SWToR's development; and they want every single subscription they can get their hands on - and further they don't want to split to Star Wars MMO fanbase, OR have a Star Wars MMO WITH a working 3D space combat mechanic when the new one is a 2D rail shooter.

As for the timing - I thing the SWG shutdown date indicates the possible launch window for SWToR as early next year, as I sure Lucas Arts wanted SWG shut down prior (but not to far from) the release of SWToR.)
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
As for people wondering why Lucas Arts is wanting to shut down SWG - they poured toons of cash into SWToR's development; and they want every single subscription they can get their hands on - and further they don't want to split to Star Wars MMO fanbase, OR have a Star Wars MMO WITH a working 3D space combat mechanic when the new one is a 2D rail shooter.
Wow, so true, I'm reading online that so many gamers are getting disillusioned over SWTOR, me included. If all they wanted was WoW with a Star Wars skin, WoW itself would have satisfied them a long time ago.

They should have kept SWG going, make it F2P or something, because a big portion of the playerbase that stuck with SWG for over 5 years after the NGE will certainly not be happy with "World of KOTORcraft".

RIP Star Wars Galaxies, I will miss you, your early years gave me the best gaming memories I've had by then, or since.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-25-2011, 05:47 PM
What may come back to bite LA in the backside is that many SWG subscribers were prepared to sub to SWTOR as well to give it a fair shot, now with the closure announcement they have not only sworn off sony products but now wont touch TOR either.

Many SWG player knew the days were numbered but somehow (maybe optimistically) expected much more of a lead on when the servers were to close. I play on Farstar and have been there on and off since the server started, I was flabbergasted by the announcement.

Rather than closing SWG down LA and sony should have kept the doors open, there will be many many players who try out TOR and who find it lacking, these players may well have fit right in in SWG and loved the true sandbox MMO that many others still love.

I sincerely hope that LA and bioware are not backing on poaching WoW's players, The two games are basically the same, ok one has more voice overs but TOR is pretty much a WoW clone in terms of playstyle and art. Would any of you want to drop 5+ years of advancement to start fresh in a new game thats pretty much the same as the one you are already playing?
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heneo View Post
What may come back to bite LA in the backside is that many SWG subscribers were prepared to sub to SWTOR as well to give it a fair shot, now with the closure announcement they have not only sworn off sony products but now wont touch TOR either.

Many SWG player knew the days were numbered but somehow (maybe optimistically) expected much more of a lead on when the servers were to close. I play on Farstar and have been there on and off since the server started, I was flabbergasted by the announcement.

Rather than closing SWG down LA and sony should have kept the doors open, there will be many many players who try out TOR and who find it lacking, these players may well have fit right in in SWG and loved the true sandbox MMO that many others still love.

I sincerely hope that LA and bioware are not backing on poaching WoW's players, The two games are basically the same, ok one has more voice overs but TOR is pretty much a WoW clone in terms of playstyle and art. Would any of you want to drop 5+ years of advancement to start fresh in a new game thats pretty much the same as the one you are already playing?
You're absolutely right. We all knew the risk was strong that SWG would shutdown after SWTOR came out, but if all SWG players tried SWTOR and liked it enough to abandon SWG, then everyone would agree that it'd be time to close SWG.

But now, as you said, the SWG players are not given that choice and they will think twice before endorsing a LucasArts MMO after getting screwed 4 times in a row in another LucasArts MMO (the premature launch, CU, NGE and closure were all prompted by LucasArts after all).
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heneo View Post
Many SWG player knew the days were numbered but somehow (maybe optimistically) expected much more of a lead on when the servers were to close.
More of a lead on? The shut down date is over 5 months from now. What were you expecting?
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
More of a lead on? The shut down date is over 5 months from now. What were you expecting?
I dunno, I'll yield to those more experienced in these matters. What is the usual lead in time for an mmo closure?

Maybe I worded it wrong, a valid reason other than ' because another mmo is coming out' would have been better.