Lt. Commander
# 41
06-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heneo View Post
I dunno, I'll yield to those more experienced in these matters. What is the usual lead in time for an mmo closure?

Maybe I worded it wrong, a valid reason other than ' because another mmo is coming out' would have been better.
The only example I am immediately familiar with is the Matrix Online(another SOE game ) which announced it was closing in June and shut down August 1st.
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-25-2011, 06:32 PM
I was playing SWG since launch, Up to 2 moths ago. I only played as long as I did cause of my friends. After trying the game out at pax east, and letting them know how it played. I found it to be sa better game, even for the jedi. The game played like an mmo should, had all the classes that SWG. There is not just one jedi ether. There are a total 8 kinds of jedi , four for the dark side and four for the light side. So unless you tried it out then you should not knock it. The games will have a lot more worlds to go to, and the game really rocks. I am sad to see SWG go, but the time has come to just fade away.
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
More of a lead on? The shut down date is over 5 months from now. What were you expecting?
I thought they would be considerate to wait until AFTEr SWTOR launched, point to the mass exodus of players and use that as a justification to close the game. Now they are not giving Star Wars fans any choice, they are just assuming we should just turn our backs on SWG and accept SWTOR as the superior game.

It will probably be superior in many ways with the fancy graphics, voice overs and thousands of quests, but it will also be lacking in the department of sandbox gameplay such as non-linear progression, skill-based progression, player housing, space combat simulation, advanced crafting, clothing selection, player economy & commerce, non-combat gameplay, roleplaying mechanics, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyntersGamer
I thought they would be considerate to wait until AFTEr SWTOR launched, point to the mass exodus of players and use that as a justification to close the game. Now they are not giving Star Wars fans any choice, they are just assuming we should just turn our backs on SWG and accept SWTOR as the superior game.

It will probably be superior in many ways with the fancy graphics, voice overs and thousands of quests, but it will also be lacking in the department of sandbox gameplay such as non-linear progression, skill-based progression, player housing, space combat simulation, advanced crafting, clothing selection, player economy & commerce, non-combat gameplay, roleplaying mechanics, etc.
No they want SWG shut down prior. Why? They feel anyone from SWG who's really missing a 'Star Wars MMO gaming experience' will run rightout and sub to SWToR. I would expect SWToR pre-orders to be available just in time for Chistmas; and SWToR to launch right around Christmas or early January 2012.

I'm sure Lucas Arts and Electronic Arts wants to maximize holiday box sales as much as they can. With (dependig on on who you believe) a developmet cost of 150 million to 300 million; they WANT SWToR to start making that back ASAP. (And given EA's history, if SWToR doesn't do amazingly out of the gate; rival WoW in U.S./Western Sub numbers and retention; I don't think EA will have a lot of patience with BioWare or SWToR.)

Butr, time will tell.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I hate to say it but I dont think TOR is going to do amazingly well. I think its going to do "ok"; not bad but not awesome either. I just hope that will be good enough to keep the game around for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Folks from War had some ahh less them diplomatic things to say about SWTOR. I do think its an interesting sign that they have sort of paused in development and run in this voice direction. Good marketing can make anything look really cool. SW franchise guaranties a decent sales level. There is no way you can pump out voiced content at a rate that will keep people interested though. So I don't know about long term but I'm fully certain they can move boxes of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-26-2011, 07:54 AM
why do i have the feeling that a lot of ex SWG players will now feel forced to check out SWTOR only so they have a Star Wars MMO at all, and then the TOR Forums will be overrun by people who will say that SWG was so much better because of reason XYZ...

Bad move.
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Haven't played in years but I'm still sad to see it go. 8 years was a good run... and honestly far longer that I gave it after the NGE.

R.I.P Cyllus Darkstar, MBH, Kauri
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
why do i have the feeling that a lot of ex SWG players will now feel forced to check out SWTOR only so they have a Star Wars MMO at all, and then the TOR Forums will be overrun by people who will say that SWG was so much better because of reason XYZ...

Bad move.
This is exactly what will happen. SWG had a lot of flaws, but the main problem was a lack of testing and polish. Had they released it 1 year later, the combat flaws and imbalances would have been uncovered and fixed beforee launch.

SWG had and still has a LOT of unique features that SWTOR will not have. Massively is running a thread this morning about all the unique features that people will miss, go check it out. The most blatant ones are of course the skill-based progression, immensely deep crafting & resources system and the space combat simulator.

All former SWG players will be there to remind EA, Bioware and LucasArts that these things are missing, and had they kept SWG running, they would not have to complain about World of KOTORcraft.
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post

Bad move.
SWG fans will be to TOR like EVE fans are to STO perhaps?

The only thing I regret about this is that TOR won't have a decent space combat system but SWG apparantly did. But since I didn't play it, I'll never know what I missed.